E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by Blaze46
mac3194...here is what I did and it worked for me:

Put the key in the ignition and the radio came on.
Pushed start (no foot on break) and engine symbol came on the dash. Some models seem to need to put start 2x before the engine light comes on.
Held accelerator to the floor for 30-45 seconds. Did not hear any noise.
Started it up, (engine light went off)
And drove away..nice and smooth.
well mine is a key so thats 2 turns right where CEL light comes on? and i tried that thats y i was looking for another way i could do this...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: E39

I don't feel too much difference on my E60 530, but much improvement on my E89 23i. Great tips!!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530D 2004 saloon
Wink kickdown

Hi Guys

Just a question about the pedal movement.
You floor it for 30-40 sec, or you push it strong to feel the "kick down" click as well, which normally triggers the trans to change 2 gears back and give it a full rpm to give you the biggest power. This is called kick down I think. All auto has this as I know.

I have a 2004 530D Auto, where the torque converter does not lock up in 6th gear for some reason. Do you feel this can help?
I'll do it tomorrow anyways.. Lets see

Also for geeks:
read this:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...49784469,d.d2k

Last edited by Tomi1000; 07-29-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

someone must to say the true common
these new bimmers ZF transmission are peace of sh**
I had fun like you with my 2010 550i M Sport SAT
reset 25 sec , battery reset , PUMA case at dealer .. wait 6 month ZF dont have any fix yet ... really ?? on $70k car a ??
sold it and call it a day , no more new BMW for me ( maybe only manuals )
GL !

Last edited by champaign777; 08-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530 mtech

yippiee kayeee

it really work on my 530 n52 now my downgear from 2 to 1 is very smooth
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011
Default The "hold down accelerator" myth

This entire thread is based on -- to be perfectly frank -- misunderstanding. I'm not saying drivers who experience an improvement after holding down the accelerator with the engine off are imagining things -- the improvement can be real. But they have completely misidentified the event which actually caused the change or so-called "reset." The change in transmission management happens because of the way they drive the car after doing the completely pointless accelerator hold-down with the engine off.

Here's what actually happens. The e60 with automatic transmission has an adaptive learning feature which adjusts transmission management between four different modes:
  • 2 Comfort Modes (transmission shifter on right side): The E map (economy) and the XE map (extreme economy)
  • 2 Sport Modes (transmission shifter on left side) : the S map (sport) and the SE map (extreme sport)
Selection between the modes is automatic and depends on several factors. The factor that is responsible for the subjective reports of improvement in shifting in this thread is a feature BMW calls "Adaptation to Driver-Type."

This technology automatically selects between the transmission management maps based on three constantly-measured variables:
  • kick-fast -- how sharply the accelerator is depressed when driving
  • cornering detection -- the magnitude of lateral acceleration
  • brake evaluation -- the magnitude of brake deceleration.
The "reset" is not triggered by holding down the accelerator pedal for any fixed length of time with the engine off. Adaptation to Driver Type restarts each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill.

Drive away from a stoplight like your granny and Adaptation to Driver-Type will select transmission Map XE or, if the shifter is on the left, Map S (assuming you are not towing a trailer or in winter mode). Drive hard away hard, corner and brake hard, and you'll get transmission Map E or, if the selector is on the left, Map SE -- much crisper shifting.

And the cool thing is, you can select the mode you want at any time simply by stopping and driving away more or less aggressively.

Errowen
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

From what you are saying, if a "transmission reset" was done on a car without the owner's knowledge, they would get in the car and not notice any difference.?

I am new to this forum, but been a member on another BMW forum for years and a well respected, knowledgeable member from there posted early on this thread that he felt a difference so I am inclined to believe that there is an actual difference being felt.

Another possibility is that throttle resets are executed the same way. Could it be possible that a throttle reset is actually responsible for the transmission responding in a way that would make drivers feel it has also been "reset" and is now more responsive etc?.

I haven't tried it yet as I have had my car less than a week and not even put 100 miles on it yet so would like some more experience with it before looking for any "difference".

Even if there is none or the only thing affected is the throttle, the "reset only costs 30 seconds of your time and as far as I have read won't harm anything thing. If the car drives "better" after, regardless of the true cause of improvement (throttle or driver input) then I am am all for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Redtwin
...the "reset only costs 30 seconds of your time and as far as I have read won't harm anything thing. If the car drives "better" after, regardless of the true cause of improvement (throttle or driver input) then I am am all for it.
My bad for trying to undermine superstition.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08-550i M Sport

Just joined and already eager to try a new test.
When I shift my trans to the left "DS" mode, upon take off, it's first up shift it jerks into gear but fine on the remainder of the shifts.
Will try these steps and see if it will "reset" the "teachings".

Errowen, your post sounds technical and logical as it should be something that would be adaptive to one's driving styles and in a dynamic fashion. But there seems to be too many cases posted about how it has corrected the downshift.... superstition doesn't seem applicable in this scenario although I don't dismiss your theory.

I'm not dismissing your statement and will consider when I try the theories posted.
Thanks for your post as it brings another dimension to this!
DM
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

Originally Posted by Errowen
My bad for trying to undermine superstition.

Don't take my post the wrong way. I wasn't putting down anything you were saying as it was informative and made a lot of sense.

I was merely suggesting that spending 30 seconds to make your car feel better (even if it was only the throttle adaptation being reset and the trans is unaffected) isn't a hardship.

We all have our superstitions. There are millions, if not billions, of people who still say "Bless You" to someone who sneezes.

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift