E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a member here had his tranny updated, re-mapped, or whatever the dealer calls it nowadays but still experienced the same problem. He then had it coded to correct some errors and it worked fine the last time he posted.

Rizbel also did the same thing to his car so may be you can search for his thread in here or the DIY forum.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

No problems here on this end!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SMG (cleanly modded) Honda S2000 (Track and Street setup) 2006 CBR rr 1000 (Street and track setup)

Does this "trick" also apply for SMG transmission? Just wondering. I would assume it wouldn't apply when on SMG mode but it may be applicable while on auto mode. I don't use or hardly use auto mode on my car.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Members

Tried it.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by s2murse
Does this "trick" also apply for SMG transmission? Just wondering. I would assume it wouldn't apply when on SMG mode but it may be applicable while on auto mode. I don't use or hardly use auto mode on my car.
The M5 guys talk of a trick where you hit about 45mph, drop the tranny into N and pull back on both paddles for about 3-5 seconds. I never heard any confirmation for the non M's, but I have done it on more than one occasion on my 545i SMG and, maybe placebo, but I seem to notice a slightly smoother shift, at least for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Members

yeah. so i tried this trick today. actually, i did the steps TWICE in a row before starting the engine. i don't know if my tranny got reset, but all my radio presets got erased, all the presets on the 6 buttons got erased, my cell phone had to get re-paired with the cars bluetooth, and the gauge that shows how many more miles i have until empty is now just dash lines (----.-).

anyone one else ever get this?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

No and I always reset the trans.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Members

Hi All,

Say welcome to me! - First post.

Can I just float something by? - Could this procedure simply be resetting the extent of the pot that is turned by the accelerator pedal? In other words - perhaps (and I _am_ just speculating) the software in the car is adapting to the low and high accelerator settings over time, and this procedure resets that? - I can speculate that would have the effect of 'opening up' the range of throttle settings that the gearbox is reacting to, thereby producing a smoother ride.

For example.. over time, the software calculates that the greatest throttle setting is 80% of pedal travel.. so it adapts - and then considers (after xxx hours driving time) 80% of throttle to be 100%

I dunno - but this seems to be all about the throttle. Could be wrong (have been before a few times :-))

Anyway - Thanks for this board - it's handy.

Pauly_2
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deltabox
yeah. so i tried this trick today. actually, i did the steps TWICE in a row before starting the engine. i don't know if my tranny got reset, but all my radio presets got erased, all the presets on the 6 buttons got erased, my cell phone had to get re-paired with the cars bluetooth, and the gauge that shows how many more miles i have until empty is now just dash lines (----.-).

anyone one else ever get this?
Sounds like your battery got disconnected at some point.. possibly unrelated?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by crypto
Sounds like your battery got disconnected at some point.. possibly unrelated?
Actually, it turned out to be my NEW key that I happened to use while doing this procedure. For any newbies reading this, a new key means new presets and settings. Idiot me didn't know this at first.

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift