E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hola, new owner here

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start off by saying,I apologize for this post being SOOO long. I have read these forums for close to 16 hours since I started the buying process on this car about a week ago. Looking at all the different mods people have done, etc etc. Looking back, I really wish I had bookmarked stuff when it made me stop and think "I need to remember/do this". Also, looking around so much, I found soooo many contradictory statements (this will surely happen over a 7 year period). So before I start with any mods, I figured I would try and get some answers Moving On.

Yesterday, I picked up a 2004 530i with 77k. So far, my wife and I really like the car. It was extremely well maintained and garage kept, etc etc... At first, I didn't think it had many options, but the more I got to messing with it, I found that wasn't the case. It has the Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package and Active Xenons.

Already have plans to tint the windows. And get a minor dent out. And of course get the car detailed, although I may wait to do a couple other mods first. Here are pics of the car (forgive the dirtiness, it rained today )

Enough of the introduction, and onto the numerous questions

1. Of all the reading I did, most of it was in regards to the headlights. And the more reading I did, the more confused I got. My wife doesn't like the yellow part for the blinker, so I assume we will have to change the assembly. Is this correct? Or is there another method to go about (thought I may have read something about an insert? Also when reading, about angel eye upgrades, after much reading, confusion and little understanding it seems the best current PnP is either mtec v2.1 or ice v3? Which is recommended and why?

2. PnP White side marker leds. I know I saw a forum member selling a really nice replacement, but I can't for the life find it atm. Can someone shoot me a link?

3. HID fog lights, same as above, I know I saw a kit, but can't find it. Also, is the stock lighting 6000k? Cause I would like it to match obviously

4. While we are on lighting, how about interior lighting kits? The orange is kinda dull

5. With the Cold Weather package, I have the headlight cleaners. How do these work?

6. I have the active xenon headlights, and it seems my driver side one, is angled down more than the passenger side one. Is there a way for me to fix this myself?

7. Upon searching, it doesn't seem retrofitting pdc is possible/logical. I saw the license plate pdc stuff, and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them, and how they were holding up?

8. If the pdc isn't possible (or perhaps even if it is). I want to get a rear view (and maybe a front view) camera mounted. General consensus seems modmynav.com is the way to go. However I saw a post asking if they still had stock/were still around from about a month ago and it never got a reply. Any other options I should look into?

9. I noticed small squares with triangles pointing down that come off on the passenger side of the front and rear bumpers, what are these? I skimmed the manual but didn't see.

10. I thought about changing the kidneys out perhaps? Anyone wanna share their silver cars pics so I can get an idea?

11. Still on the fence about doing shadowline (vinyl or oem). Again, pics?

12. Anyone in the Dallas area? Or know of any good shops to get stuff done?

13. Is there ANY way of updating firmware my self? I would like to enable mp3 compatibility if nothing else (would REALLY like to update to the latest, is there any way to see what version I'm on now. I was looking into Bavarian Technic, and it seems it lets you do some stuff. But not sure people's experiences with it. Are there alternatives that are better? Also, I saw somewhere someone had made it so the Speed you are traveling showed where it displays time etc. My wife would LOVE that.

14. Is there really no way to see all the temps and such without going into the secret obc menu?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any and all help in advance!
-Erik
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Welcome.

You learned a ton in 16 hours. I'll say that much.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First, welcome to the forum and 5er family. Second, let's answer some of your questions:
For questions 1-4 contact member brabusw209amg (John) - he is our resident lighting guru and can get you hooked up with everything you need. To cover the orange turn signal marker contact member AKAlius (Phi), he's local to TX and a great guy to deal with.

For questions 7-8, it would be too expensive to retrofit PDC for my tastes (new bumpers, dealer programming etc)yes, modmynav is still around

For question 9, Those are tow hook locations (tow hook located in the tool kit under the trunk lid)

For questions 10-11, I have done kidneys (member Nerweezy from Trinity Autosport) and vinyl shadowline (gloss black) and I am quite happy with it - see attached pics

Ques 12, plenty of Dallas area members here

Ques 13, no you cannot upgrade firmware (progman) yourself, only the dealer can do this.

Ques 14, yes this is true

Good luck and happy modding
Attached Thumbnails Hola, new owner here-driverswindowtrim.jpg   Hola, new owner here-newgrilles.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

1. Of all the reading I did, most of it was in regards to the headlights. And the more reading I did, the more confused I got. My wife doesn't like the yellow part for the blinker, so I assume we will have to change the assembly. Is this correct? Or is there another method to go about (thought I may have read something about an insert? Also when reading, about angel eye upgrades, after much reading, confusion and little understanding it seems the best current PnP is either mtec v2.1 or ice v3? Which is recommended and why? Personal Preference - MTEC V2.1 are one of the brightest for your model year and are cost effective, also AngeliBright V3.0 is very good but a little more $$$.

5. With the Cold Weather package, I have the headlight cleaners. How do these work?
Every 3rd time you utilize the veh's windshield washers it will also spray the headlights.

6. I have the active xenon headlights, and it seems my driver side one, is angled down more than the passenger side one.
Is there a way for me to fix this myself? That is the proper setting.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Welcome aboard! Another DFW (Irving) member here.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by burritoboy9984
1. Of all the reading I did, most of it was in regards to the headlights. And the more reading I did, the more confused I got. My wife doesn't like the yellow part for the blinker, so I assume we will have to change the assembly. Is this correct? Or is there another method to go about (thought I may have read something about an insert? Also when reading, about angel eye upgrades, after much reading, confusion and little understanding it seems the best current PnP is either mtec v2.1 or ice v3? Which is recommended and why?

2. PnP White side marker leds. I know I saw a forum member selling a really nice replacement, but I can't for the life find it atm. Can someone shoot me a link?

3. HID fog lights, same as above, I know I saw a kit, but can't find it. Also, is the stock lighting 6000k? Cause I would like it to match obviously

4. While we are on lighting, how about interior lighting kits? The orange is kinda dull

6. I have the active xenon headlights, and it seems my driver side one, is angled down more than the passenger side one. Is there a way for me to fix this myself?

7. Upon searching, it doesn't seem retrofitting pdc is possible/logical. I saw the license plate pdc stuff, and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them, and how they were holding up?

8. If the pdc isn't possible (or perhaps even if it is). I want to get a rear view (and maybe a front view) camera mounted. General consensus seems modmynav.com is the way to go. However I saw a post asking if they still had stock/were still around from about a month ago and it never got a reply. Any other options I should look into?

9. I noticed small squares with triangles pointing down that come off on the passenger side of the front and rear bumpers, what are these? I skimmed the manual but didn't see.

10. I thought about changing the kidneys out perhaps? Anyone wanna share their silver cars pics so I can get an idea?

11. Still on the fence about doing shadowline (vinyl or oem). Again, pics?

12. Anyone in the Dallas area? Or know of any good shops to get stuff done?

13. Is there ANY way of updating firmware my self? I would like to enable mp3 compatibility if nothing else (would REALLY like to update to the latest, is there any way to see what version I'm on now. I was looking into Bavarian Technic, and it seems it lets you do some stuff. But not sure people's experiences with it. Are there alternatives that are better? Also, I saw somewhere someone had made it so the Speed you are traveling showed where it displays time etc. My wife would LOVE that.

14. Is there really no way to see all the temps and such without going into the secret obc menu?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any and all help in advance!
-Erik
Damn, a lot of questions, lol.

1) The blinker part I am assuming you are referring to the reflector. You can contact Akalius to get Euro stickers to cover that on the outside (you can PM him after you reach 5 posts). OR if you have the balls and tools, you can open up your headlights and put the stickers inside. Obviously, this is the better looking solution, but is a lot more involving. Currently there are two members that has done this, myself and nigxdoof. I am not sure if nigxdoof is offering this as a service, but I have done a number of Socal member's reflector this way. But you're kind of far, lol.

As for angel eyes, from here on out, I am only going to recommend Orions and HID AE's, hahaha. Also, I have to ask. Your pics has me a little puzzled. Why is your inner ring lit and not the outer? I thought maybe it's DRL on, and somehow causing an outline, but I don't believe that's the case. Could be an indication that your bulb for AE is on its way out if it can't output enough light to travel to the low beam halos.

2) Trinity sells amber side marker bulbs, and if you want white, get them from Brabus.

3) Brabus again. Stock xenon temp. is 4300K. Most of us prefer the 6000K white look. Technically, 5000K would be white without the yellow tinge, and more lumen output than 6000K. It's really a matter of preference.

4) Brabus.

5) Don't have these, don't know. Though I have read that they actually make a mess of them more so than they clean.

6) This is normal. Driver's side light is suppose to point more downwards so it doesn't blind incoming traffic.

7) No point. Cost too much and little gain, at least factory retrofit.

8) Modmynav is awesome. Kris was just down in Socal to do an install last week. I am not sure what his plans are regarding the business, as he told me that he is likely to accept a job offer that will send him out to Chicago. You can probably buy from him, but will have to find a shop with know-how to install it.

9) Tow hooks.

10) I think matte black bezel and silver or chrome bars look best. I have gone through all chrome, all gloss black, gloss black bezel and silver bars, and finally settled on matte black bezel and silver bars.

11) Your personal preference here.

12) No clue.

13) No. Probably cruise control.

14) Don't believe so.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

Congrats !! And welcome to the forum
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Welcome.

Another Irving member here
Old 08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

I'd say start with the smaller/cheaper mods and work your way up from there. You'd be surprised how a $30 or $50 mod can transform the exterior and give it a new look.
For example:

Contact member AKAlius or do a search for "Euro overlay". He's running a special now on these stickers that cover the ugly orange in your headlights.

Pick up a set of matte black kidney grills from Trinity Autosport. A WELL respected vendor here with great customer service.

Those two mods will run you under $100 and makes a HUGE improvement on looks.

For lighting, as pjinca has mentioned, contact member brabusw209amg. He'll hook you up with all your lighting needs (interior leds) HID fogs, and angel eyes. Mtec v2.1 is currently the best option for Pre-lci.

Quick Reply: Hola, new owner here