E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit a flying metal object...Need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

So I am driving on the highway this past weekend and its a beautiful sunny day. All of a sudden this rectangular metal object comes flying off of a truck a few cars ahead of me in the next lane. So of course it misses every other car on the road but some how flys into my lane and while it's still in the air it hit the front passenger side fender of my car. I barely had any time to react. I heard it hit but thought I just may have run over it, so after screaming for a few seconds I kept going. Now in all of this time the truck is long gone and no where to be seen. I am sure they do not even know that this thing came flying off of them.

I get to my destination and then slowly creep around the front to see what happened. Then my heart sinks and I see the damage. After regaining consciousness I notice that the fog light assemble seems to be intact but just pushed inside the car. The damage to the fender is more significant. I called my insurance company and opened a claim. I am going to the the body shop this week to get an estimate. If they do not use BMW certified techs or parts I am going straight to the dealer. Nothing like this has happened to me before. Does anyone know what kind of parts they would use to fix this. Would they need to replace the whole front fender? My car is an 06 model so would they use salvaged parts? Please see attached pics. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a flying metal object...Need some guidance-photo2.jpg   Hit a flying metal object...Need some guidance-photo.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Members

Looks like a new front bumper cover to me. I'd go for the MTECH if your replacing it anyway.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wow that sucks royally!!! i had that happen to me once on the garden state parkway.. this truck had a blowout and rubber and chunks flew at me.. i cringed cause on the road there isnt much you can do..

good luck fixing it.. hopefully theyll just replace it and make life simple again.. if you file a claim though do you still lhave to pay a detuctable? i would assume yes..
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by shaferrj' post='899311' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:27 AM
Looks like a new front bumper cover to me. I'd go for the MTECH if your replacing it anyway.
+1
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by melimel' post='899312' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:30 AM
i had that happen to me once... had a blowout and rubber and chunks flew at me.. i cringed
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Originally Posted by melimel' post='899312' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:30 AM
wow that sucks royally!!! i had that happen to me once on the garden state parkway.. this truck had a blowout and rubber and chunks flew at me.. i cringed cause on the road there isnt much you can do..

good luck fixing it.. hopefully theyll just replace it and make life simple again.. if you file a claim though do you still lhave to pay a detuctable? i would assume yes..
Yes I have to pay a $250 deductable. I can live with that as long as I don't have to pay thousands of dollars to fix. The most important thing to me is that the fix is done right and with the right parts
Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='899317' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:35 AM
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

New bumper cover? Are you kidding? This kind of damage is fixable, even without bondo, just some sanding, flex additive, and surface putty.
It will require repainting the whole cover though. Should be less than a $1000 for everything. No new parts needed, unless the fog light brackets are shot.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Formula1' post='899303
This can be fixed. As a matter of fact, I'd not even bother making a claim over smth like this - you can probably fix this yourself (sans the re-paint, - that you'd prolly need a bodyshop for). Unless I'm seeing this wrong...

However, if the bumper cover is determined to be needing replacement, you can get a m-tech or M5 rep...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Did you happen to get any identification of the truck from where the metal came from?
If yes, I would track them down and suggest that they pay for the repair because clearly they did not secure the load they were hauling.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hit a flying metal object...Need some guidance