E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit 160 mph yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

More power to you bro. Did the same thing on the German autobahn only this very Tuesday and it is FUN. I got just over 160 mph on the speedo but didn't bring a seperate gps to verify actual speeds. Judging from my previous e60 where I did use GPS, you have to subtract 5 mph to get the actual once you are above 120 mph. My limiter was erased by the DimSport modification and I could feel there was a fair bit more to go but in answer to a previous post, it certainly isn't every 4th car doing 150 mph on the autobahn. In fact, traffic, weather, roadwork and city zones are a constant companion and it is outright difficult to get up to really insane speeds, at least in the northern part of Germany. If you see a clear road, gun it because 35 seconds later you will have to ease off, every time! That's why I didn't get to test the real limit this time around but I'm sure longing to do so and the car is stable and confidence inspiring, also at those speeds.

I won't be testing the aforementioned other legal aspects in certain parts of Europe, notwithstanding the fun they may hold. There are moral hazards, even if there aren't any legal implications, and that in my view is where those fun things differ from a heavy right foot. Power on...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Yup, I hear the same thing when someone gets caught doing like 105mph in England and get a driving ban and it might even reach the newspapers (if they're famous enough). The complainers come out in force and say it's totally irresponsible and highly dangerous. Yet 300 miles east of England, if you were to setup a speed camera on an unrestricted section of Autobahn, one in every 4 or 5 cars would be doing that speed or more, legally.

Example. As an 18 year old in England, you can legally get drunk, then next morning, pop over to Amsterdam and legally get high (and pay to get laid) and pop into Germany and legally drive as fast as you like (and pay to get laid). What a busy and fun weekend that might be, but no laws broken. That same 18 year old on a trip to America couldn't do any of those things legally.
But we all do it regardless....hahaha!!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
You're right about the rush you get.
I've realized that the rush goes away after you've done 135 or more quite a few times. After a while it's like doing 70. I think it's the illegality of it all that gives you the adrenaline shot more than the speed itself.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Members

Yup, I hear the same thing when someone gets caught doing like 105mph in England and get a driving ban and it might even reach the newspapers (if they're famous enough). The complainers come out in force and say it's totally irresponsible and highly dangerous. Yet 300 miles east of England, if you were to setup a speed camera on an unrestricted section of Autobahn, one in every 4 or 5 cars would be doing that speed or more, legally.

Example. As an 18 year old in England, you can legally get drunk, then next morning, pop over to Amsterdam and legally get high (and pay to get laid) and pop into Germany and legally drive as fast as you like (and pay to get laid). What a busy and fun weekend that might be, but no laws broken. That same 18 year old on a trip to America couldn't do any of those things legally.

Actually, we get drunk at 16 here.. freaking high at 18 and then just drive to Germany to do 150+
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Yeah, I got mine to 150 a bunch of times when I was in Germany... I was screaming lol... 150 is now 100 instead of 200 like it felt the first time.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Not true u can bang hookers in nevada legally

Dude do u live in awesomefart germany!?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrLev99
I've realized that the rush goes away after you've done 135 or more quite a few times. After a while it's like doing 70. I think it's the illegality of it all that gives you the adrenaline shot more than the speed itself.
One thing that I'll *NEVER* get used to, despite being here for years, is driving at over 150mph past a police car that's cruising at 70/80mph. I defy any non-German to try doing that without (a) feeling guilty, and (b) staring in the rear-view mirror for far too long after you've gone past. You can't get over the fact that the blue lights aren't switched on and they don't start chasing you
Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

One thing that I'll *NEVER* get used to, despite being here for years, is driving at over 150mph past a police car that's cruising at 70/80mph. I defy any non-German to try doing that without (a) feeling guilty, and (b) staring in the rear-view mirror for far too long after you've gone past. You can't get over the fact that the blue lights aren't switched on and they don't start chasing you
I'd probably have a heart attack and crash a few seconds later. haha
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I'd probably have a heart attack and crash a few seconds later. haha
+1!! LOL!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

+1 for sure...

I also remember constantly looking over every small hill and around every bend thinking I was going to see a cop on the side of the road getting ready to nail me. It's just so hard to reprogram yourself to stop feeling as if you're doing something illegal...

Quick Reply: Hit 160 mph yesterday!!!!!!!!!!