E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit 160 mph yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Went for a nice long cruise. It was 45 degrees and very low humidity so the car was running real good.
Decided to open her up a little on a nice straight and noticed she pulled real well up to 140 in 4th.
I've hit 140 several times before and then back off right away. Don't want to take my hands off the steering wheel
to shift into 5th. Then I was cruising at about 100 in 5th and punched it! Hit 160 pretty quickly. Again i backed off immediately.
Didn't get a look at the RPM's but felt like she definitely had more to give.

I know many will say that what I did is very irresponsible and they're right. The way I see it is that if I lived in Germany
I would do the same on the Autobahn and there would be no issue. The only difference is that its illegal in the states.

Having said that it was still one of the most exilerating things i've ever done in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridiculas amount of adrenaline!!!!!!!!

The car handled it like a champ also.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dusandimic
Went for a nice long cruise. It was 45 degrees and very low humidity so the car was running real good.
Decided to open her up a little on a nice straight and noticed she pulled real well up to 140 in 4th.
I've hit 140 several times before and then back off right away. Don't want to take my hands off the steering wheel
to shift into 5th. Then I was cruising at about 100 in 5th and punched it! Hit 160 pretty quickly. Again i backed off immediately.
Didn't get a look at the RPM's but felt like she definitely had more to give.

I know many will say that what I did is very irresponsible and they're right. The way I see it is that if I lived in Germany
I would do the same on the Autobahn and there would be no issue. The only difference is that its illegal in the states.

Having said that it was still one of the most exilerating things i've ever done in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridiculas amount of adrenaline!!!!!!!!

The car handled it like a champ also.
On any city street / highway that is exciting but risky. We've all (probably) done that at one time or another .

Aren't you glad you got that out of your system -- now don't become a statistic and have a wonderful and safe holiday season!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Aren't you glad you got that out of your system -- now don't become a statistic and have a wonderful and safe holiday season!

+1
Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Originally Posted by luigi524td
On any city street / highway that is exciting but risky. We've all (probably) done that at one time or another .

Its out of my system for the time being. Snow tires are going on Friday.
Next summer will be a different story. Especially if ESS comes out with
that Supercharger. Looking forward to smoking my buddy's M5!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Yup, I hear the same thing when someone gets caught doing like 105mph in England and get a driving ban and it might even reach the newspapers (if they're famous enough). The complainers come out in force and say it's totally irresponsible and highly dangerous. Yet 300 miles east of England, if you were to setup a speed camera on an unrestricted section of Autobahn, one in every 4 or 5 cars would be doing that speed or more, legally.

Example. As an 18 year old in England, you can legally get drunk, then next morning, pop over to Amsterdam and legally get high (and pay to get laid) and pop into Germany and legally drive as fast as you like (and pay to get laid). What a busy and fun weekend that might be, but no laws broken. That same 18 year old on a trip to America couldn't do any of those things legally.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Yup, I hear the same thing when someone gets caught doing like 105mph in England and get a driving ban and it might even reach the newspapers (if they're famous enough). The complainers come out in force and say it's totally irresponsible and highly dangerous. Yet 300 miles east of England, if you were to setup a speed camera on an unrestricted section of Autobahn, one in every 4 or 5 cars would be doing that speed or more, legally.

Example. As an 18 year old in England, you can legally get drunk, then next morning, pop over to Amsterdam and legally get high (and pay to get laid) and pop into Germany and legally drive as fast as you like (and pay to get laid). What a busy and fun weekend that might be, but no laws broken. That same 18 year old on a trip to America couldn't do any of those things legally.
Sounds like I'm living in the wrong country.
I'm a big fan of all the things you just mentioned............
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

That was funny

I agree with you regarding the pull the 550 has even at 140 mph. I did it once and the car was rock solid and eager for more. I backed off realizing I can, but will probably never do it again. You're right about the rush you get. But I've learned to consider the "What if". Just be safe out there But my question is, I thought the governor kicked in at 155, not 160??? At that speed it really doesn't matter, just want to know I got the facts straight.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
my question is, I thought the governor kicked in at 155, not 160??? At that speed it really doesn't matter, just want to know I got the facts straight.
It's supposed to be 155mph (250km/h) but speedometers being generally inaccurate and deliberately over-reading, what appears as 160mph is more likely 155mph. My limiter kicks in around an indicated 160mph. I haven't checked if it's the speed or rev limiter. I'll have to dig up those videos I made.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
That was funny

I agree with you regarding the pull the 550 has even at 140 mph. I did it once and the car was rock solid and eager for more. I backed off realizing I can, but will probably never do it again. You're right about the rush you get. But I've learned to consider the "What if". Just be safe out there But my question is, I thought the governor kicked in at 155, not 160??? At that speed it really doesn't matter, just want to know I got the facts straight.

The Dinan Software removes the governor.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by DD_545i

It's definitely a rush. One day I have to test the 205mph top speed on my car.

Quick Reply: Hit 160 mph yesterday!!!!!!!!!!