E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Highway, A Tale of Love and Hate

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior
Smile

OK good times.

Apparantly when on the highway recently, I acquired some specks of white paint or something on my finish. Nothing too crazy just little dots I noticed when cleaning over the weekend. Being really smrt (notice the poor attempt at humor and sarcasim by spelling smart incorrectly), I take my claybar to those spots and remove them "safely".

NOT SO FRIGGIN SAFE. I did this in the garage and after the pride of completing the job over the top surface of the car (hood, roof, and boot lid) weared off, I pulled outside to do a last wipe down and get make sure I got all the spray detailer off. This is when I saw everyplace I conducted this great job, and see it looks like I took steel wool to the surface. I do not think the paint is harmed just the finish. Oh and this was not a fresh claybar too so it was totally my fault, clabay is awesome.

I immediatly took NuFinish scratch remover and a paint ball to all effected areas. This made it better but not all gone and I had some swirl marks from the old owner I was meaning to get out anyway but this did not cut it.

I need help from you good, good people to let me know a really good product which will get rid of this. I am assuming the mother of all swirl mark remover compounds will work. Just remember, I am obviously not the sharpest when it comes to waxing/polishing and I only have a paintball.....

While I wait for help I am going to return to kicking my own @$$ for a while

To somewhat quote one of the base movies ever "Here I was thinking I wasn't a huge doucher. Turns out, I am a huge doucher."
Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

OH and before someone mentions it (if my assumption was right) after using the scratch remover compound I reapplied wax.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

If scratch remover didn't work you are going to have to use something more aggressive which carries it own risks.

My choice is Griot's #3 polish but you may have to start with Griot's #2 to get the scratches out then use the #3 to restore the shine. An orbital polisher also helps.

For paint protection there are a million products available, I have tried many. My best results for lasting paint protection and a deep great shine is Klasse All-in-one paint sealant and P21s wax. Awesome finish that lasts for 6 months.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Your going to need an Orbital Buffer like the Porter Cable 7424. Small investment that will pay HUGE dividends. Use some Meguiars M105 to correct all the scratches, then follow with M102, then your favorite wax or sealant. IMO there is no way to get those scratches out completely without a buffer. www.detailedimage.com has everything you need.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

oh wow. i would be careful about using the word compoud. I never touch compound to my car is it is very abbrasive. you need to polish polish polish
Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Thank you for the advice, what polish do you use for imperfection removal?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Contributors

i personally love mothers sealer and glaze. it is relatively cheap/off the shelf at most auto parts stores. i apply it with a terrycloth applicator and remove it with a terrycloth rag while it is still wet. and i just buff and buff and it gets really shiny. this will help hide "wheel marks"
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SCardamon' post='902777' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:45 PM
OK good times.

Apparantly when on the highway recently, I acquired some specks of white paint or something on my finish. Nothing too crazy just little dots I noticed when cleaning over the weekend. Being really smrt (notice the poor attempt at humor and sarcasim by spelling smart incorrectly), I take my claybar to those spots and remove them "safely".

NOT SO FRIGGIN SAFE. I did this in the garage and after the pride of completing the job over the top surface of the car (hood, roof, and boot lid) weared off, I pulled outside to do a last wipe down and get make sure I got all the spray detailer off. This is when I saw everyplace I conducted this great job, and see it looks like I took steel wool to the surface. I do not think the paint is harmed just the finish. Oh and this was not a fresh claybar too so it was totally my fault, clabay is awesome.

I immediatly took NuFinish scratch remover and a paint ball to all effected areas. This made it better but not all gone and I had some swirl marks from the old owner I was meaning to get out anyway but this did not cut it.

Avoid all that crud on the front of your vehicle by speeding in reverse.

I need help from you good, good people to let me know a really good product which will get rid of this. I am assuming the mother of all swirl mark remover compounds will work. Just remember, I am obviously not the sharpest when it comes to waxing/polishing and I only have a paintball.....

While I wait for help I am going to return to kicking my own @$$ for a while

To somewhat quote one of the base movies ever "Here I was thinking I wasn't a huge doucher. Turns out, I am a huge doucher."
Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='903670' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:25 PM
oh wow. i would be careful about using the word compoud. I never touch compound to my car is it is very abbrasive. you need to polish polish polish
+1

Quick Reply: The Highway, A Tale of Love and Hate