E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Given the same price car, which one is better?
Newer car but with high mileage
35.00%
Older car but with low mileage
65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Higher mileage or lower mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm considering getting a 520d MSport but can't afford a new one. The 2nd hand prices seem to be more within my budget which leaves the question, do I go for a newer car (i.e. a year old or newer) but high mileage or an older car with low mileage (assuming they are priced about the same).

Would be good to hear the reasons why you've chosen it. My current thinking is that a newer car with higher mileage is better because I've heard BMW engines are really good and robust and seem to last forever so mileage is not so much of an issue. With a newer car it is more likely to have a nicer spec and probably in better condition.

You could also reasonably conclude that a newer car with high mileage has mostly been driven frequenly on long motorway journeys (reasonably good for the car). Whereas, older car with low mileage has been driven on very short journeys or very infrequently on long journeys (both quite bad for the car).

Thoughts?, suggestions? etc..

TIA
Old 08-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue, 2004 525i

I think if you're getting into an e60, it would be better to have some mileage left on the factory warranty. I recently purchased an 04' with 40,000mi on it and have had a couple of electrical problems, so I'm very glad I still have 10,000 miles left on the warranty to get issues worked out. You always have extended warranties, but those don't always cover everything and there is sometimes a deductable, etc.... As far as the engines go, as long as the oil has been kept up on, they will run good for a very long time. With BMW's the main thing you need to worry about is all the excess electrical stuff, that's what'll break long before the engine. You'll be driving around on a very strong running engine at 150,000 miles but have ten different faulty warning lights going off for no reason on your dash...

So I would say lower mileage older e60 is better than a newer one with 50,000 or more miles. If you're looking for an earlier model (mid-late 90's or early 00 models), I'd say use common sense. If the car has averaged about 9-12,000 miles a year, you'll probably be good. Any electrical gremlins should be worked out and you'll hopefully just be dealing with the normal mechanical wear issues (brakes, plugs, etc...)

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlitzburghFan' post='455505' date='Aug 5 2007, 08:23 AM
So I would say lower mileage older e60 is better than a newer one with 50,000 or more miles. If you're looking for an earlier model (mid-late 90's or early 00 models), I'd say use common sense.
The E60 only launched in 2003, I don't think he will be looking at mid-late 90's versions!!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue, 2004 525i

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='455526' date='Aug 5 2007, 12:46 PM
The E60 only launched in 2003, I don't think he will be looking at mid-late 90's versions!!

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I was just talking about any other BMW in general.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='455489' date='Aug 5 2007, 08:37 PM
I'm considering getting a 520d MSport but can't afford a new one. The 2nd hand prices seem to be more within my budget which leaves the question, do I go for a newer car (i.e. a year old or newer) but high mileage or an older car with low mileage (assuming they are priced about the same).

Would be good to hear the reasons why you've chosen it. My current thinking is that a newer car with higher mileage is better because I've heard BMW engines are really good and robust and seem to last forever so mileage is not so much of an issue. With a newer car it is more likely to have a nicer spec and probably in better condition.

You could also reasonably conclude that a newer car with high mileage has mostly been driven frequenly on long motorway journeys (reasonably good for the car). Whereas, older car with low mileage has been driven on very short journeys or very infrequently on long journeys (both quite bad for the car).

Thoughts?, suggestions? etc..

TIA
1st Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
2nd I can not vote or most of us can not vote cos the 2 car need more info like
year of both cars?
milage of both cars?
is it still under warranty?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

It's going to be a difficult trade off depending on the exact age and mileage difference is betwen the cars. I would also want to know if that higher mileage car has run those additional miles on the motorway or puttering about a city - makes a difference - and the other question I may ask is whether the lower mileage car may have too few miles on it for its age. These things are built to be used, and having them sitting around may not always be a good thing for them.

Bottom line, go look at both, drive em both, check out service histories, etc. This should help with the age/mileagequestion also.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Contributors

I don't think he has two specific cars in mind ... it's a general poll to say which you would prefer. If you were in the market for a 2nd hand car, would you start by searching for an older car with low mileage, or a new car with higher mileage? Maybe there should be a third option added to the poll which states something like "age/mileage is less important than history". Personally I voted for the "newer car, higher mileage", as I would prefer to get something still in warranty. This is especially true if it would mean getting a facelift model.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='455737' date='Aug 6 2007, 04:58 PM
I don't think he has two specific cars in mind ... it's a general poll to say which you would prefer. If you were in the market for a 2nd hand car, would you start by searching for an older car with low mileage, or a new car with higher mileage? Maybe there should be a third option added to the poll which states something like "age/mileage is less important than history". Personally I voted for the "newer car, higher mileage", as I would prefer to get something still in warranty. This is especially true if it would mean getting a facelift model.
I see what you mean, if so then I would go for the new model with high mileage. cos it will be under warranty and if it brakes down you can get it fix for free.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

I went for slightly higher mileage and slightly older, i.e. 40K miles and nearly three years old but on a car with a reasonable amount of kit.

Do I have any regrets - yes, that I didn't wait 6 months before buying my 530d because my dealer now has a 44Kmiles 2004 535d MSport Touring with even more kit on it in stock!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

IMO ,I think mileage is the most important issue, wear and tear occurs on every part of the car not just the engine.Having more warranty left will be a key benefit of a lower mileage car as well as appearance. It will cost a little more but that is where the value is. I've seen newer high mileage cars for sale beside older lower mileage cars and the price is virtually the same . A nice 04 or 05 is showing really good value now that the mid life upgrade ( LCI ) has been introduced.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Higher mileage or lower mileage