E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

high winds

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, AS does make corrections for crosswind. I hope BMW turns off this feature on the future software release or just tune it down.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

And From Canadian Driver:

"On the BMW Active Steering, the sun gear and planet gears are the input and output. The ring gear is held from rotating by a computer-controlled electric motor meshed to the outside of the ring gear. If the ring gear is held stationary by the electric motor, the gear ratio of the gear set is fixed. However, the computer can operate the electric motor to turn the ring gear at the same time the driver turns the steering wheel, providing a variable steering ratio. The effect of the system operation is amazing. In a parking situation, the computer varies the ratio so that the steering wheel needs less than two turns to move the wheels lock to lock. As vehicle speeds increase, the steering ratio increases, so it takes more turns of the steering wheel to move the wheels and increases vehicle stability.

Now the magic begins. Besides providing variable steering ratios, the computer is linked with the vehicle stability control system to aid in directional stability of the vehicle. As the vehicle is travelling down the highway, road surfaces and wind gusts can affect the vehicle directional stability. The car may wander a little or dart to one side, as many who have met a tractor-trailer unit on a windy day have experienced. Sensors on the car detect this sudden unintentional movement and the computer will stabilize the car by moving the Active Steering electric motor and steering gear. The driver doesn't turn the steering wheel at all!

If the driver experiences a skid or slide because of poor road conditions, the Active Steering will react to information from the yaw rate sensors to modify the steering angle of the front wheels to stabilize the vehicle. This occurs much faster than the driver can react. If the Active Steering angle is not enough, then the Stability Control system intervenes to help as well. "

Certainly is an eerie feeling in action.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Members

I've had two E39s before my current E60 (without AS) and I've noticed a definite sensitivity to cross winds. I don't think it is so much about weight but more about increased side profile between the two models. It's not a huge issue for me but it is somewhat dissapointing after the E39s rock solid composure.