5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   high rate of battery discharged (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/high-rate-battery-discharged-81579/)

sixcard 07-20-2009 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='946464' date='Jul 19 2009, 02:00 PM
:think: :think: :think:

Just search E60.net. There has been plenty of "experience" discussing this issue.

Don?t pay too much attention to those who say, ?A $XX,XXX car shouldn?t blah blah blah.? While I agree with that, it won?t get you very far with BMW at any level. They may supply the charger for you, but that is the extent.

If anyone got a new car, had BMW rework the electrical system design or otherwise fix the problem, as the result of this issue, I would like to see the documentation.

Mrs. sixcard is now the primary driver of our E60. If she drives fifteen miles a week, that's s busy week. My charger is connected 24/7 when the car is home. I even have to loop the 120VAC cord through the door handle so she doesn't drive off with the car plugged in.

GL

sixcard :)

curlytoons 07-20-2009 09:49 AM

Our dealer pulled out some BMW literature suggesting that short distance driving, somewhere around <5 km, will not allow the battery to charge sufficiently. They put in a new battery under warranty, though, after 24 months of driving.

vwvwvw 07-20-2009 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by curlytoons' post='947584' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:49 AM
Our dealer pulled out some BMW literature suggesting that short distance driving, somewhere around <5 km, will not allow the battery to charge sufficiently. They put in a new battery under warranty, though, after 24 months of driving.

Agreed there's been a lot of people who have had this problem. And it makes sense to say the car's got a current drain problem that the dealer won't fix until I bug them more, and I have to handle it somehow, so I have a battery tender on it.

But I hope we don't take this excuse from BMW, that low miles alone kill the battery. Some members here have had problems with relatively high mileage, and some have had the comfort access or other modules replaced by the dealer.

Plus paying $400 for them to replace the battery on a new car is enough to make me gag.

PraiseTheLowered 07-20-2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by vwvwvw' post='946277' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:57 AM
What do you mean? What experience leads you to think you need a battery tender to let a car sit for a few days?

uhh ive had it happen plus ive had it happen on two bikes and an acura rsx when left to sit for more then a week

my fathers moto guzzi battery died too because he almost never rides it

vishwen 07-21-2009 10:05 AM

been to the dealer today , the technical manager told me that infact i did not drove the that much and have taken out a battery history , saying that the battery is only 50 % charged and he did recharged it , when i get back home after driving like about 50 km , switch off the car and after 6 hours and check the car it says same thing high rate of battery dischared. My question to the tech manager is that why the car is pumping power from the battery when the car goes to sleep mode , which means one of the car module is not going to sleep mode thus pumping juice from the battery , but he cannot find anything from the dianostic . He told me that to bring the car again and i will have to leave it overnight with him so that the next morning he can check it.By the way i do not have comfort access in my car . I personally do not think that the battery not fully charged can cause this problem what do you guys think ?

All the accessory i have added like: Amp , Radar , Rear soket for Cigar lighter , dension 500 and dvd i have disconnect all of them thinking that may be one of them may cause the battery drain.

Please help me guys.

GregBrand 07-21-2009 07:54 PM

My wife's 2008 X3 had the battery die right from the start and it continues to die. Dealer says it is her fault because of short trips. This is outrageous to make an expensive BMW, brand new, that has a battery drain so great that the battery is always dead unless you drive a lot and long distances.

They should have had a disclaimer on the new vehicle windshield:

WARNING: YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A DEAD BATTERY UNLESS YOU DRIVE THIS CAR EVERYDAY FOR 45 MINUTES OR MORE.

pantherfan69 07-22-2009 04:15 AM

Now it is happening to me, I had to get a jumpstart from a co-worker (one of the snide types that had to make fun of my bmw getting jumped by an old honda).

I picked up a smart battery charger last night, it was showing the battery at 70% charge, I topped off the battery and disconnected the charger so I could see how big the drop was overnight. When i checked it this morning the battery was at 75% charge :(

I was hoping I didnt need to buy a new battery, since I only drive about 5 miles to work I was thinking maybe I was just killing it due to the low miles thing, but thats a lot of juice to lose overnight on a car thats supposed to be off.

sixcard 07-22-2009 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='949768' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:54 PM
WARNING: YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A DEAD BATTERY UNLESS YOU DRIVE THIS CAR EVERYDAY FOR 45 MINUTES OR MORE.

That is a pretty bold statement. It is not universally true.

?Always? is a long damn time and ?you? addresses the entire 32,210 members of E60.net (soon to be 5series.net).

sixcard :)

pukka 07-22-2009 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='949768' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:54 PM
My wife's 2008 X3 had the battery die right from the start and it continues to die. Dealer says it is her fault because of short trips. This is outrageous to make an expensive BMW, brand new, that has a battery drain so great that the battery is always dead unless you drive a lot and long distances.

They should have had a disclaimer on the new vehicle windshield:

I never had this problem, and when I first got the car my commute to/from work was less than 15 miles. I was on vacation and the car wasn't started for over a week and the only thing that happened was the battery drain warning on the HUD. Now I routinely leave the car in my garage for at least a week because I prefer to drive the Camaro and I still don't have any problems.

FWIW whenever the car is parked in my garage I never lock the doors and if it doesn't get driven for a whole week I usually start it and let it idle for 10-15 minutes.

theXman 07-22-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by pantherfan69' post='950045' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:15 AM
Now it is happening to me, I had to get a jumpstart from a co-worker (one of the snide types that had to make fun of my bmw getting jumped by an old honda).

I picked up a smart battery charger last night, it was showing the battery at 70% charge, I topped off the battery and disconnected the charger so I could see how big the drop was overnight. When i checked it this morning the battery was at 75% charge :(

I was hoping I didnt need to buy a new battery, since I only drive about 5 miles to work I was thinking maybe I was just killing it due to the low miles thing, but thats a lot of juice to lose overnight on a car thats supposed to be off.

If the battery is not holding the charges well, then it's time for a new one. How old is it by the way?