E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"high beam assistant"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

My owner's manual says part of auto headlights is "high beam assistant" which should dim the high beams automatically. It seems to be saying you tap the high beam switch, maybe not all the way. But I can't get it to work. On a dark night, the high beams do not turn off automatically when an oncoming car comes around a corner. Am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

What year, make, and model? I thought it was not available until next year.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i. Premium, Sport, powere shades, Sat. radio and hopefully the occasional groupy in the seat.

I was trying to figure that out as well last night. Mine is an 06 and apparently doesn't have the feature.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe Iceman can explain the use of this feature...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mr.PC' post='196435' date='Nov 10 2005, 04:22 PM
My owner's manual says part of auto headlights is "high beam assistant" which should dim the high beams automatically. It seems to be saying you tap the high beam switch, maybe not all the way. But I can't get it to work. On a dark night, the high beams do not turn off automatically when an oncoming car comes around a corner. Am I missing something?
Is there an asterix next to it in the manual?

I think I remember reading something about it not being availble in the U.S. but I'm probably wrong.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

In the UK it's an optional extra not included with the auto headlamps. To activate it you push the left stalk halfway and a headlight symbol appears in the display near the odometer. Then, when the road ahead is dark enough (no oncoming lights or rear lights from vehicles ahead) then the car will put main beam on. Once the car sees a light ahead (and the car is likely to dazzle) it switches the main beam to dipped. Once the vehicle has passed the lights switch to main beam again. neat option even if Iceman thinks its a threat to mankind.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='196521' date='Nov 10 2005, 11:11 PM

Maybe the next software upgrade will have a fog light assist. It could rune high voltage to the fog light switch unless a sensor detected the actual presence of fog.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by robg' post='196822

Maybe the next software upgrade will have a fog light assist. It could rune high voltage to the fog light switch unless a sensor detected the actual presence of fog.
[/quote]

ha ha. It seems that every red neck in Louisiana drives with their fog lights on when they don't need them. I guess they think it looks cool or they want to advertise that they have fog lights. The problem is half the fools have fog lights that shine in your eyes and blind you. Drives me crazy...short drive by the way.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Members

This car has the high beam assis option.
When you switch the headlights button on Automatic, you push the level once like if you set high beam, and this symbol appears on the dashboard. Then the car decides alone when it can ride full beam or not ...
Very comfortable and pretty accurate system.
Attached Thumbnails "high beam assistant"-adl.jpg  
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Been through this issue myself

The answer in that in the US it is not an available

You can try to see if you have it by pushing the bright bean handle slightly forward and seeing if the symbol comes up, but I have a Nov 05 US production and it does not have - nor has anyone in the US been able to confirm that they have it

Not on the sticker - the language is confusing but adaptive and assistant are two different things

Quick Reply: "high beam assistant"