E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

hifi system

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 01:49 PM
[quote name='D2NET' date='Oct 6 2004, 11:00 AM']Hi Guys (and Gals),
Need a little bit of help here with sound systems. I have Logic7, got the 13 speakers and have the L7 controls in the iDrive. However, I have a problem in that I cannot hear any sound from the rear parcels shelf speakers nor from the subs under the front seats, I can hear output from the rear doors, and front doors. It's like the fader was all up front, but it's not. The sound from the system is good but not great. I believe I have a fault and should take it to the dealer. Question for those with L7, is there a definite sound all the time from the rear speakers and subs ?? Thanks for your help.
[snapback]41806[/snapback]
Have you had an iDrive update lately??
My standard sound system used to sound acceptable, until I took it to the dealership and they updated the iDrive software version and now I can barely hear the bass and it seems like the distribution of the sound (balance) is out of phase to the right of the car (Right side sounds louder even when balance setting is right on the middle)

Does anybody know if iDrive update can affect the way the sound system performs?
[snapback]41862[/snapback]
[/quote]

My U.S. standard sound system is the same way! My wife has been complaining that I play the stereo too loud. For once I let my wife drive today and noticed that it was loud over there. Then, I got back in the drivers seat and played around with the balance and the left sound sounds muffled and low, while the right sounds clear and loud! I have to crank the bass up to almost max to get any kind of bass out of the system at all. I'll just add it to my list. Wow. My list is getting longer and longer for my Oct 11 service visit. At this point, i'm not going to see the car for a week!
Old 10-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

chicosy: You don't miss out too much without the L7.

I have it and I'm not too impressed with it as an "upgraded" sound system. I think the L7 should be no cost standard equipment. Perhaps it's the floor mats that the dealer put in suck up all the good sound!

[
quote=chicosy,Oct 6 2004, 10:07 AM]
If you do a search, there have been multiple threads discussing audio options in the E60. To most people, the standard US system = UK "hifi option" is enough. For people who love their music, you can't go past Logic7.

I'm quite picky about my music and I wish I got Logic7. It's true that the subs just don't output enough. :'(

Northernmonkey: It might be that the dealer thought you wanted an upgrade on your EXISTING car. AFAIK, no audio upgrade by BMW for existing cars. If you buy a NEW car, then definitely there would be options to the standard audio.

Hope this helps!
[snapback]41786[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:14 PM
[quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 01:49 PM'][quote name='D2NET' date='Oct 6 2004, 11:00 AM']Hi Guys (and Gals),
Need a little bit of help here with sound systems. I have Logic7, got the 13 speakers and have the L7 controls in the iDrive. However, I have a problem in that I cannot hear any sound from the rear parcels shelf speakers nor from the subs under the front seats, I can hear output from the rear doors, and front doors. It's like the fader was all up front, but it's not. The sound from the system is good but not great. I believe I have a fault and should take it to the dealer. Question for those with L7, is there a definite sound all the time from the rear speakers and subs ?? Thanks for your help.
My standard sound system used to sound acceptable, until I took it to the dealership and they updated the iDrive software version and now I can barely hear the bass and it seems like the distribution of the sound (balance) is out of phase to the right of the car (Right side sounds louder even when balance setting is right on the middle)

Does anybody know if iDrive update can affect the way the sound system performs?
[/quote]

My U.S. standard sound system is the same way! My wife has been complaining that I play the stereo too loud. For once I let my wife drive today and noticed that it was loud over there. Then, I got back in the drivers seat and played around with the balance and the left sound sounds muffled and low, while the right sounds clear and loud! I have to crank the bass up to almost max to get any kind of bass out of the system at all. I'll just add it to my list. Wow. My list is getting longer and longer for my Oct 11 service visit. At this point, i'm not going to see the car for a week!
[snapback]41928[/snapback]
[/quote]

acribb

I only noticed this after I had an iDrive update, before that I was quite happy with the sound system, now I'm sorry I took the car for that update.

Has anybody else noticed this? the right side being much louder that is... Now I need to have my balance setting 1 to 2 clicks to the left and bass always to the max.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:43 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:14 PM'][quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 01:49 PM'][quote name='D2NET' date='Oct 6 2004, 11:00 AM']Hi Guys (and Gals),

[/quote]

[/quote]

acribb

I only noticed this after I had an iDrive update, before that I was quite happy with the sound system, now I'm sorry I took the car for that update.

Has anybody else noticed this? the right side being much louder that is... Now I need to have my balance setting 1 to 2 clicks to the left and bass always to the max.
[snapback]41950[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you also noticed that the treble is not as high on the left side as well? Not as crisp and clear as the right? Or is this just because the right side is so much louder?

I think I last had 12.x installed. I can't recall if the stereo was better before. I had only had the car for about a week before the software update. Was your's v12.x that tainted the stereo?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 05:25 PM
[quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:43 PM'][quote name='acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:14 PM'][quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 6 2004, 01:49 PM'][quote name='D2NET' date='Oct 6 2004, 11:00 AM']Hi Guys (and Gals),

[/quote]

[/quote]

acribb

[snapback]41950[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you also noticed that the treble is not as high on the left side as well? Not as crisp and clear as the right? Or is this just because the right side is so much louder?

I think I last had 12.x installed. I can't recall if the stereo was better before. I had only had the car for about a week before the software update. Was your's v12.x that tainted the stereo?
[snapback]41958[/snapback]
[/quote]

I picked up my car back on May; it had v11.something and everything seem to work OK (I did not have hourly chime but RDS worked). I took it to the dealer to have the CPT9000 eject box installed and they updated the iDrive as well to 12.something. Ever since the update the sound system sux.
Yes, I noticed that I can barely hear the tweeter on the left upper side, almost no treble at all. I'm actually glad that someone else noticed it. Like I said, before the update the sound system was acceptable, now I don't like it at all, especially having that unbalanced sound.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

wiu-bimmer: I'm going in on Oct 11 for a service visit. I've got 2 pages of items to address. I'll let you know if the update to the new software version does anything. Like you, for now, I have moved the balance over 2 clicks over to the left, this way my wife isn't yelling at me to turn the damn stereo down.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D, Silver Grey, Bluetooth, CD Changer

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Jun 29 2004, 05:23 AM
Don't you guys in USA get what us europeans call Hi-Fi sound as standard giving you only one upgrade to Logic7 possible?

here in the UK, standard sound is 4 all range speakers and 2 tweeters and a really piss-poor sound

hi-fi gives us 10 speakers including 2 floor mounted subs and a beefy amp, logic7 is yet another step up with another 3 speakers and the dsp system.

personally, in the UK, I felt the logic 7 was good but not ?500 better.

DD
[snapback]14096[/snapback]
Are you sure you are correct here? I have a 2004 525D with standard radio and it has 2 subwoofers under the seats plus 2 speakers on rear shelf and 2 speakers in front doors. I can see a housing behind the window mirrors for tweeters but I can hear absolutely nothing from them
Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 7 2004, 08:29 AM
wiu-bimmer:? I'm going in on Oct 11 for a service visit.? I've got 2 pages of items to address.? I'll let you know if the update to the new software version does anything.? Like you, for now, I have moved the balance over 2 clicks over to the left, this way my wife isn't yelling at me to turn the damn stereo down.
[snapback]42149[/snapback]
Any update on this acribb? Was your software updated? Did the dealer say anything about the unbalanced sound system?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 18 2004, 03:25 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Oct 7 2004, 08:29 AM']wiu-bimmer:? I'm going in on Oct 11 for a service visit.? I've got 2 pages of items to address.? I'll let you know if the update to the new software version does anything.? Like you, for now, I have moved the balance over 2 clicks over to the left, this way my wife isn't yelling at me to turn the damn stereo down.
[snapback]42149[/snapback]
Any update on this acribb? Was your software updated? Did the dealer say anything about the unbalanced sound system?
[snapback]46402[/snapback]
[/quote]

The dealer was supposed to fix the static/hissing noise I have coming out of the stereo intermittently which happens when I start the car. The last time I took it in, they said it needed a new TCU unit. This time, they said it needed a new ASK unit which says replaced with 'remfg ASK unit' on the work order. Unfortunately, the static is still there, perhaps even worse.

Good news though, the balance problem is gone now. Everything is equal.

So, either the ASK unit really was bad and they need to replace it, thus fixing the balance problem, or the software update fixed it, I don't know. Give it a try and let me know.

I have to bring the car in now for a THIRD time now, to get this static issue addressed. Not very happy. I'm thinking of waiting until my next oil change to get this taken care of. I'm tired of driving a 325 loaner around that's never been washed and smells like sweat(with only 4K miles on it too).

Any issues with static on your setup?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Hi acribb,

Good to hear that the unbalanced sound is gone, great!!!

I have not noticed that static sound when starting the engine (Or perhaps I don't have it)
My car goes to the dealer on the 29th. Hopefully they will notice the unbalanced sound and they'll do something that fixes it.

Quick Reply: hifi system