E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HID QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 525i that I just picked up saturday, and I am in love with it. It came with Hid's in the headlights and fogs, which is cool but it reads malfunction. My LED eyebrows are not working. I just ordered 60ohm resistors to fix the problem of the malfunction readings. My questions are as follows.
Is that the proper resistor?
Will the eyebrows pop on after the resistor is installed?
Would a system upgrade do the trick?
Would bmw honor warranty of eyebrows since HIDS installed?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know much about HID retrofits and resistors but I know many people have done these types of things here so you've come to the right place. I think a resistor is needed to stop the malfunction but I don't know how many ohms you need.

It's hard to say if the eyebrow problem is related to something the previous owner did when they installed the HID bulbs (assuming that the headlights aren't HID from the factory) or if it's related to the known software issue that prevented the eyebrows from illuminating. It's likely that you don't know what version of software your car is running right now (and the only reliable way to find out is for the dealer to read if from the car) but if you did, you could easily tell if you need the software fix to get the eybrows working.

Also, there's a rather long thread (located here) posted by cobradav that outlines the various fixes from the various versions of the car's software contains. You might want to try reading it backwards from the end to find the information on the latest version first. If you can find a problem that your car has that's been fixed (other than the eyebrow problem) then you could complain about that and get a software upgrade. Once you're on the latest version, if the eyebrows still don't work, then you'll know it's something else...
Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which HID?s