E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HID Fitting guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M57D30-T2
ace your correct, these will be an mot failure, but most people just take them out when it comes to mot time.
I see.

However, this isn't about just violating some minor legal technicality. Placing HID lights in reflector housings is extremely inconsiderate, and possibly dangerous, to oncoming drivers. Besides which they don't truly help the driver see better. The more scattered light near the car creates glare for the driver, giving the impression of better light, but in reality the glare just causes the driver to see more poorly. Confusing glare with better light is a common misperception and misconception.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acefuture
I see.

However, this isn't about just violating some minor legal technicality. Placing HID lights in reflector housings is extremely inconsiderate, and possibly dangerous, to oncoming drivers. Besides which they don't truly help the driver see better. The more scattered light near the car creates glare for the driver, giving the impression of better light, but in reality the glare just causes the driver to see more poorly. Confusing glare with better light is a common misperception and misconception.
Properly placed as the OP has done this danger is clearly overstated, and while it helps keep Daniel Stern's website popular, I've done many of these conversions and they look functionally identical to stock as long as they're properly aimed.

Frankly this tired misinformation meme is just not helpful.