E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

hi im new to bmw

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never owned bmw before, but Im about to deal with 545i smg. Actually Im still worrying about its(05 545i 85k) condition. Its carfax records are just clean, but when I did test drive,shift up was not smooth at all(I was driving with auto drive) especially 1st to 2nd. The dealer(not bmw) said it is normal because of it is smg. Are there any recomanded check lists about smg?

Thank you
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Welcome aboard!

now about the shifting up not being smooth part, are you talking about throttle responce, or a jerky launch from stop or worst yet a "slam" from a rolling stop? our cars have this drive-by-wire feature. the throttle is controlled electronically whereas most other cars, like a civic, are controlled by a cable. this drive-by-wire feature causes a brief delay in throttle responce. now considering the year of the 5er, i think the software needs to be updated by a BMW dealer (this wont fix the throttle delay but may help with the jerky starts and stop). this may improve on the driveability of the car but, a bigger problem may be looming ahead. my '05 545 had two software updates and both times made the jerky starts and stop tolerable.

use the search function using the key words "transmission slam" and try to read thru all the threads so you become the informed buyer. good luck
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Welcome aboard!

now about the shifting up not being smooth part, are you talking about throttle responce, or a jerky launch from stop or worst yet a "slam" from a rolling stop? our cars have this drive-by-wire feature. the throttle is controlled electronically whereas most other cars, like a civic, are controlled by a cable. this drive-by-wire feature causes a brief delay in throttle responce. now considering the year of the 5er, i think the software needs to be updated by a BMW dealer (this wont fix the throttle delay but may help with the jerky starts and stop). this may improve on the driveability of the car but, a bigger problem may be looming ahead. my '05 545 had two software updates and both times made the jerky starts and stop tolerable.

use the search function using the key words "transmission slam" and try to read thru all the threads so you become the informed buyer. good luck
he stated he has an smg trans.

the smg wont shift as smooth as an automatic.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by civic2
I have never owned bmw before, but Im about to deal with 545i smg. Actually Im still worrying about its(05 545i 85k) condition. Its carfax records are just clean, but when I did test drive,shift up was not smooth at all(I was driving with auto drive) especially 1st to 2nd. The dealer(not bmw) said it is normal because of it is smg. Are there any recomanded check lists about smg?

Thank you
Shame about the id (civic ).

I'd say, if you already find something that annoys you as early as the test drive stage, then that really is not the car for you. If they're saying it's just how SMG transmissions are, don't believe them, try another one (of the same age, not a newer and perhaps better one) and if it's identically bad, then you can believe it. Often a dealer will say "oh we'll fix that for you" and they don't. If buying a car and you have a big doubt, walk (or even run).

I've made the mistake of buying a car or two in the past with a transmission that bugged me, and it resulted in me switching car after only a few months. Something you might not have the luxury of doing if you're financing the car.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Alpine White, Black inside,Sport Package, M Tech kit, SMG, Navigation, Cold weather package

SMG doesn't shift like regular auto you better shift manually, don't worry you will love it after 1-2 weeks
Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

If you're able to, try the transmission reset feature and test drive the car again. Turn the key till the accessories are on but do not start the car; step down the gas pedal to the floor for about 25-30 seconds. This will reset the tranny and should provide for smoother shifts.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

There's actually another option described in the manual. IIRC, you drive the car up to about 40mph and let off the gas while you pull both smg paddles back towards you and hold for about 10 seconds.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Titanium Grey w/grey leather and SMG Past: 1999 540i Titanium Silver w/6sp and Dinan tuned (really cooked!); 1988 735i White; 1986 528e Grey; 1966 2001 White

Originally Posted by civic2

Thank you
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

the shifting issue is normal for smg, if this is a bother to you, you might want to consider an auto or manual trans before you make up your mind (assuming you haven't purchased yet). Also the smg's are very expensive to fix and the hydraulic pump is a known failing point.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Welcome your going to love your car!

Quick Reply: hi im new to bmw