E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hi! Advice sought.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, a Newbie here from Sydney Australia.

Today, it's likely I'll sign up for an E60 525i Sport.

Found this forum very informative over the last few days.

My questions is are: -

1) 19s'' or 18s''; the car comes fitted with 18''s, might get an upgrade to 19''s though, any thoughts???
The roads here in Sydney can, at best, be described as ?average? with many irregularities and broken surfaces. My outgoing Monaro (Pontiac GTO) has 19''s and while i enjoyed at 1st it's gotten tiresome. I'm wondering however if the BMW ride is more 'sophisticated' thus accommodating the shallower tyre wall height. Thoughts appreciated???

Oh, btw, the wheels will probably be 'replica' M5 wheels. I appreciate this may offend some but please; if BMW themselves produce a factory optioned car that looks to the vast majority of the populous to be an M5 then my penchant for big rims isn?t gunna hurt anyone.

2) I have a Nokia 8800, any comments on its sociability with the B'tooth in the car.

3) I'm torn between 2 colour combos too - Sapphire/ Beige or Silver Grey/ Black any comments on practicalities of either; its sunny ~330 days a year here with the temp rarely below 20c and regularly 30c and above!! loev the black but a bitch to keep clean i suspect?!?!?

Really looking forward to coming 'back to the fold? after an absence of 7 years. Previous BMW's: -

E36 316 Sedan - Boston Green 95 - 96
E36 323 Coupe - Samoa Blue 96 - 97
2.8 Z3 - Arctic Silver - 97 - 98

Any other tips, thoughts much appreciated; thanks in advance.

Cheers

Thommo
Old 12-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributors

You have to go with what you won't regret. I don't regret the OEM 18" wheels (which I too, am considering replacing), but if you prefer and don't mind paying for th 19's go for it. Personally, I prefer the dark silver/black combo...but again, think about what will make you not regret your decision.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Greetings from Ireland. If I were you I would go with the 19" wheels with normal tyres instead of the 18" standard sport wheels with the run flats. The ride couldnt be anything worse than the runflats with the m suspension which is far too hard.

On the colour, black will always be in fashion, however very dark inside with black upholstery but looks great the with aluminium trim thats standard on sports. If I didnt have this I would go for the beige leather and wood.
It is hard to keep but not bad in a climate like yours. My climate it reains for 300 days a year (Just seems like it!)

grinche
Old 12-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215723' date='Dec 26 2005, 05:03 PM

Welcome, and congrats on the new car to be.

1) 19s'' or 18s''; the car comes fitted with 18''s, might get an upgrade to 19''s though, any thoughts???
The roads here in Sydney can, at best, be described as ?average? with many irregularities and broken surfaces. My outgoing Monaro (Pontiac GTO) has 19''s and while i enjoyed at 1st it's gotten tiresome. I'm wondering however if the BMW ride is more 'sophisticated' thus accommodating the shallower tyre wall height. Thoughts appreciated???

Given your road description, I would be tempted to stick with 18's.

Oh, btw, the wheels will probably be 'replica' M5 wheels. I appreciate this may offend some but please; if BMW themselves produce a factory optioned car that looks to the vast majority of the populous to be an M5 then my penchant for big rims isn?t gunna hurt anyone.

2) I have a Nokia 8800, any comments on its sociability with the B'tooth in the car.

3) I'm torn between 2 colour combos too - Sapphire/ Beige or Silver Grey/ Black any comments on practicalities of either; its sunny ~330 days a year here with the temp rarely below 20c and regularly 30c and above!! loev the black but a bitch to keep clean i suspect?!?!?

I can only tell you 2 things. Silver grey is a breeze to keep clean and looking good. And, I love my other car, a black one, but never again.

Really looking forward to coming 'back to the fold? after an absence of 7 years. Previous BMW's: -

Get logic 7; consider getting comfort seats; get nav with the big sceen if you have an option; and enjoy.

Cheers

Thommo
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215723' date='Dec 26 2005, 04:03 PM

Cheers

Thommo
Welcome.

1. 18" are fine with the 5ers. I am not in favor of "replica" as the quality is questionable.
2. Last person to ask about b'tooth.
3. Silver grey and black interior is my combo. Love it because there's not much contrast like saphire/beige.

The years that you have owned a bimmer where very reliable cars/years. The new 5ers have lots of computer gadgets, so don't be disappointed with glitches, updates, etc. It's not too bad.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215723' date='Dec 26 2005, 05:03 PM

Welcome to the Forum, mate! You live in one of my favorite cities---I had the pleasure of being there about 2 years ago.

I love the Silver Grey/Black combination----but it's just a personal preference.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215723' date='Dec 26 2005, 10:03 PM

Cheers

Thommo
Welcome to E60 land...

I'm on 18" wheels with runflats, lots of evidence to say that the 19" wheel with non rft's is a smoother proposition. I find the ride to be ok, but thats after a E46 330 on 18" with 35 profile tyes. Sports susp is a good all round set up in my experiance.

Cant help with the BT..do a search in the BT forum.

I like both of your colour choices, your dead right with the saphire being a git to keep clean, however I live in the North East of England so I suspect we get a lot mor crap on the roads than you will, so might be ok. I went for Silver Grey and black which looks great and is easy to keep on top of.

My pics are below in my signature...background is Whitley Bay
Old 12-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

welcome to the forum

seem to recall that the 8800 does have problems with bluetooth and there is now cradle for it at the moment.

i opted for 19" with normal tyres and i am entirely satisfied with the ride however they do sound awful if you hit even a very small pothole
Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='215863' date='Dec 27 2005, 07:31 PM
Well well well, very fond memories of playing ice hockey in Whitley Bay. I'm from Edinburgh originally and playing in the bay was a great road trip!!

Great boot and roof spoiler; are those original or aftermarket?? Ok, so I just read your signature, I got it!!!! Cheers

Thommo
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='216030
Well well well, very fond memories of playing ice hockey in Whitley Bay. I'm from Edinburgh originally and playing in the bay was a great road trip!!

Great boot and roof spoiler; are those original or aftermarket?? Ok, so I just read your signature, I got it!!!! Cheers

Thommo
[/quote]

Ozhaggis so ya doon under the noo. This forum is great for making the world a wee bit smaller...Welcome thommo Was in Sidney very breifly in 2003, we went to Surfers Paradise before going to Aukland to see friends...enjoy pal!!

Quick Reply: Hi! Advice sought.