E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hesitation on my new 530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a 2007 530i (Sept built) and started experiencing hesitation issues during cornering and straight-line acceleration. I'll try to describe the issue as best as I can, so bare with me. 1) During cornering - when the car is coasting, I step on the brakes lightly before a right/left turn, release the brake quickly and apply gas during the turn and the car just hesitates or stalls for 1-2 sec before the rpm needle suddenly revs really high and I'm on my way. 2) During acceleration - I'm at a complete stop, I step on the gas, and when I get to 3rd gear, the rpm needle suddenly drops really fast from 3500 to 2000. It's like it upshifts to soon or something??? I have step-tronic and both scenerios only occur in D mode. I do notice in DS mode, the rpm revs hold longer and when I come to a stop, the car downshifts really hard where you can feel it tuck a little. This is my first BMW and the car currently has 1600 miles. Is this normal for the tranny or engine to operate this way. Please provide any advice. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by royal8' post='361833' date='Nov 29 2006, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2007 530i (Sept built) and started experiencing hesitation issues during cornering and straight-line acceleration. I'll try to describe the issue as best as I can, so bare with me. 1) During cornering - when the car is coasting, I step on the brakes lightly before a right/left turn, release the brake quickly and apply gas during the turn and the car just hesitates or stalls for 1-2 sec before the rpm needle suddenly revs really high and I'm on my way. 2) During acceleration - I'm at a complete stop, I step on the gas, and when I get to 3rd gear, the rpm needle suddenly drops really fast from 3500 to 2000. It's like it upshifts to soon or something??? I have step-tronic and both scenerios only occur in D mode. I do notice in DS mode, the rpm revs hold longer and when I come to a stop, the car downshifts really hard where you can feel it tuck a little. This is my first BMW and the car currently has 1600 miles. Is this normal for the tranny or engine to operate this way. Please provide any advice. Thanks.
I noticed the same thing on my 07 530 (May built) but only when i am gently stepping on the peddle. If you step on it more aggressively, I don't notice it as much. But I did read here that there was a problem with hesitation for older model year 530's but was taken care of by software update. I would presume that we have one of the later version of the software which should have addressed this issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The autotrans has four programs built in,
economy and sport for both D and the DS mode.

Fast changes form cruise to "race" can make the transmission to "think a while".

Also remember that the car can be driven with the manual Steptronic.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by low_ball_88' post='361838' date='Nov 29 2006, 12:35 PM
I noticed the same thing on my 07 530 (May built) but only when i am gently stepping on the peddle. If you step on it more aggressively, I don't notice it as much. But I did read here that there was a problem with hesitation for older model year 530's but was taken care of by software update. I would presume that we have one of the later version of the software which should have addressed this issue.
Yah, I would think that because my vehicle was built in Sept, the latest and greatest software would correct this issue. (was it ever an issue with other owners????) FYI, I was just at Barnes & Noble and read a UK- based BMW magazine and someone wrote they had the dealer re-program the ECU numerous times before the hesitation issue went away. What is ECU???? Maybe I'll bring this up to the dealer next time.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by royal8' post='361833' date='Nov 29 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

I experienced the same hesitation issue. Took it to dealer and they re-flashed the tranny software and wow.., what a difference!!! Hesitation is gone in D mode and I notice shifts are much smoother in D, DS, and Manual Step-Tronic. My gas mileage has also improve 2-3 mpg as compared to before when I was averaging 14 city and 18 highway. SA stated it's normal that some vehicles need a re-flash for optimal performance. It's finally driving like a real BMW!!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by terracotta' post='383403' date='Jan 25 2007, 02:45 PM
I experienced the same hesitation issue. Took it to dealer and they re-flashed the tranny software and wow.., what a difference!!! Hesitation is gone in D mode and I notice shifts are much smoother in D, DS, and Manual Step-Tronic. My gas mileage has also improve 2-3 mpg as compared to before when I was averaging 14 city and 18 highway. SA stated it's normal that some vehicles need a re-flash for optimal performance. It's finally driving like a real BMW!!
Which dealer helped you with the re-flash? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by kxn530i07' post='383411' date='Jan 25 2007, 03:06 PM
Which dealer helped you with the re-flash? Thanks.
It was BMW of San Francisco. The only weird thing was they docked my complaint as "not found" on the work order, but the SA told me they definetly flashed the tranny software. And believe me, I do feel the difference.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i stock. 2000 Jeep Wrangler non-stock =)

I have noticed the same issue with my '04 530i...even commenting, "c'mon, get going!!!" Hmm..might take it in and check on this re-flash.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by terracotta' post='383403' date='Jan 25 2007, 02:45 PM
Hey terracotta,

Thanks for the information. I've been busy traveling in and out of the country for work and haven't had a chance to address this with my dealer. Will definitly bring it in for the software re-flash. I'm estatic that it's a software fix and nothing mechanical. I just hope Concord BMW knows about the re-flash or it'll be a longgg drive to San Francisco......
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Members

Follow Up: I got the so-call tranny re-flashed last week and haven't noticed a real difference. The hesitation still happens in D mode when accelerating out of a corner. In fact, my mpg has gone down, contrary to what others have stated. What gives??????