E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I have a 2004 530I with six speed manual, brought new in 2003 I still only have 78000 miles but I have a distinct hesitation on acceleration. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times and they have not found the cause, the plugs have been replaced the coils have been replaced, the idle control valve thing was replaced about a year ago because the shaft broke causing bad idle.

I have no codes or check engine light, it has been on the machine twice, not sure what to do or what could be causing this issue and neither does my mechanic, I don't want to just start throwing parts at it that is just to expensive, but I have to get this problem sorted. ANY IDEAS,
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by buddy
I have a 2004 530I with six speed manual, brought new in 2003 I still only have 78000 miles but I have a distinct hesitation on acceleration. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times and they have not found the cause, the plugs have been replaced the coils have been replaced, the idle control valve thing was replaced about a year ago because the shaft broke causing bad idle.

I have no codes or check engine light, it has been on the machine twice, not sure what to do or what could be causing this issue and neither does my mechanic, I don't want to just start throwing parts at it that is just to expensive, but I have to get this problem sorted. ANY IDEAS,
I had a similar issue although you and I have different engines and software. I replaced my thermostat, leaving all those parts that you replaced, intact.
Also did a complete refresh of software. SO far so good.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Thermostat and water pump has been replaced a while ago not for that reason but I will question them on that
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

Thermostat and water pump has been replaced a while ago not for that reason but I will question them on that
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

I have a 2004 530I with six speed manual, brought new in 2003 I still only have 78000 miles but I have a distinct hesitation on acceleration.
When is it hesitating on acceleration? When you are beginning to accelerate, around 3k rpm at WOT (VANOS), or around 4K (DISA)?

Hesitation on beginning to accelerate at your mileage could be several things: VANOS solenoids, VANOS seals, dirty MAF, clogged fuel filter or fuel pump...etc.

Hesitation @ 3k rpm is a classic VANOS seal problem. The VANOS piston seals degrade and move less smoothly than when they are new. For more information on troubleshooting this issue you can check http://www.beisansystems.com/

Hesitation around 4k rpm is a classic DISA valve issue.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

The disa valve has been replaced also that was the part that the shaft broke on and caused my car not to idle, I will check the link (thanks) and see. Some wide open throttle, generally around 3 to 4 k is where you feel it I have also had the fuel system checked and use bg 44k to help the fuel system, I guess it could be a vanos issue or a hall sensor issue.

Just wish the damn thing would throw a code so things would be easier.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Great info I just texted my bmw mechanic I am blessed to have a personal one that works at the dealership, I await his call or text, but according to my symptoms this could be the ticket or at the very least a disqualifying position
Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Got the car back in the shop today for the hesitation issue, and to get aux input installed and coded. Got a call a while ago and they finally duplicated the issue, turns out that there is a tsb on a dme reflash for certain vin's and mine is in there. The only bad thing I have to pay 250 for the removal and installation of the dme :thumbsdown: they pay for the shipping to and fro and the reflash . I think it sucks that I have to pay for a issue that kinda seems like a recall or a defect, I know I am long out of warranty, and I will pay but it is not like a defective part oh well at least I will not be left by elantra's anymore.

Gonna be down for a week so hopefully I will have a loaner by tomorrow because the jeep is down and the f150 just uses to much gas
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Got the car back in the shop today for the hesitation issue, and to get aux input installed and coded. Got a call a while ago and they finally duplicated the issue, turns out that there is a tsb on a dme reflash for certain vin's and mine is in there. The only bad thing I have to pay 250 for the removal and installation of the dme :thumbsdown: they pay for the shipping to and fro and the reflash . I think it sucks that I have to pay for a issue that kinda seems like a recall or a defect, I know I am long out of warranty, and I will pay but it is not like a defective part oh well at least I will not be left by elantra's anymore.

Gonna be down for a week so hopefully I will have a loaner by tomorrow because the jeep is down and the f150 just uses to much gas
They're taking you for a long ride buddy. No BMW dealer is going to take a DME out to flash it and no BMW dealer is going to charge you if part of a recall campaign. We know about every service bulletin for these cars and this is not one of them.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Kinda what I thought, but this is comming from my mechanic friend at the dealership, he is the only one that I allow to work on my car since new and works on my car off the clock at the dealership. I know he is opening a puma case to have it covered by them as far as parts coding and shipping to a fro. I thought it may have been a vanos issue bad sealing rings or something and in the end he will probably get the 250 charge off also he normally does.

I questioned the SA about the cost because it seems kinda silly for me to pay for a TSB but we will see.

He has never (the mechanic) steered me wrong so I can only go with what he says right now, will keep the forum abreast of the progress or lack there of

Quick Reply: hesitation