E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

heres a new one moonroof replacement! 545i 52k? bad experience wit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010 | 08:10 PM
Senior Members

I recently had an issue with PACE BMW or BMW OF GREENWHICH(SAME DEALER). My active steering light came on. I took car to dealer and after them checking it out for 5 days, they concluded that water leaked into the active steering module and short circuited it. My car is an 04 545i cpo 52k. They explained to me that the module wasnt covered due to leaks not being covered under cpo. cost to replace was somewhere around 1400.00. At this point i was furious that a car with so little milage would have leak issues. anyway i refused to replace it and left. when i got home i called bmw of north america and complained about issue. i also received a survey via email and responded with my frustration. I explained that my car was 6 yrs old with only 52k and it should not have water leaks. I also stated that this summer when i decide to get a different car, i will go with mercededes as bmw doesnt build quality and does not satisfy the customer. Anyway, i get about 5 different phone calls from bmw na and the dealer expressing there concern. They instruct me to bring car in and they will do a 275.00 leak check for free. I agree and take the car in. They give me a loaner and keep the car for 5 days. The service rep calls me today and states that they performed the leak check and found that the moonroof needs to be replaced as it was defective. Water was dripping down the a pillar and down to the pass compartment floor and short circuited the active steering module.

Here is the interesting part: BMW OF NA decides that moonroof is defective and will replace entire unit at 3500.00. The dealership then tells me that i have to pay for the active steering module. lmao, clearly i get upset and tell them that the active steering module malfunction is due to obviously the faulty defective moonroof leaking! Dealership states that bmw is doing me a favor? and replacing moonroof! lol!!! I tell the dealer no its not a favor that its poor craftsmanship and a defect in the construction of their product. Dealer then tells me he will call me back. lol! what a joke!! I then call back BMW OF NA and explain the issue to the customer relations dept.

So far, no one has called me lol.

I believe im clearly correct and i should not pay anything. Its clearly a defect on the part of BMW and they obviously recognize that the roof is defective.

What do you guys Think??
Old 03-02-2010 | 08:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

That is so funny. Does this mean that if Your engine after oil change will have serious oil leak and will get damaged they will fill the engine with a new oil and You will pay for it's rebuild? You are dealing with a bad dealer I must say. Go to the different one. Look at this that way. If the dealer is low on work orders it will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get more work. So it is also in their own business to get this fixed. It is money for dealer satisfaction for customer. I would not call leaking sunroof poor design. Things break. Poor design would be a hungreds or a thousands of sunroofs breaking down. Good luck to You. I just had an engine short block replaced being at 54K and past warranty. Poor design? No. I called three dealers and they none have ever hird of warped cylinder at 54K miles in N62 engine. Keep pushing and good luck!
Old 03-02-2010 | 10:31 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

BMW does not want to pay these days. Especially also taking the blame. They will try every way to say it's not their fault. All dealers do that. Yeah it sucks... Keep complaining and eventually, it will come through. U better NOT pay a dime!!! Fight til the end
Old 03-03-2010 | 06:29 AM
Senior Members

oh believe me, lol im fighting till the end. i have a brand new 335i loaner fully loaded nav everything. im not taking my car back till all the repairs are fixed. I take care of my car and it is immaculate. The roof is a defect and is leaking not due to a seal but the entire fixture is coming apart. As a result of the roof being messed up, the active steering module is shot from water damage. Im a pretty fair person. If they did a leak check and found that there was no leak, i would say ok maybe something spilled or wateva and it leaked down into the module ( probably shouldnt have a 900.00 module located under a seat where water could get into). But clearly, these two issues are related. If BMW is taking responsibility for the roof, then they are going to take responsibility for the unit. I will not accept anything less.
Old 03-03-2010 | 11:15 AM
Senior Members

here is the number to bmw of na 1800-831-1117

just hit the prompts to go to customer relations.

we pay enough for these cars that are supposed to be quality. thats what they claim! CPO is bmw peace of mind. lol well my mind isnt at peace.

regards
rich
Old 03-03-2010 | 09:43 PM
Contributors

I had my active steering module replaced by the dealer also and its covered. What I would also suggest is go to another dealer, I had this one issue with my DME gone bad I went to one dealer they said my car is modified and they will not cover it and then I took it to another dealer they gave me a loaner and have my DME replaced within 2 days and programmed. All covered by the dealer, and the DME is not cheap. I say fight on or next dealer.
Old 03-04-2010 | 10:18 AM
Members

That's ridiculous. I can't believe they want you to pay for anything. Keep fighting!
Old 03-04-2010 | 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Keep fighting as they'll give in.. and like some mates said also try another dealer if nothing happens here. Bastards hate to take the blame but you gotta fight. BMW is starting to get annoying.. Believe me.. we m5 smg owners know it.