E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Here is how SMG in the new 5 works

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize the doc I posted is very long, so I will pull out a few interesting sections and post them separately with descriptive subject line. If you find interesting sections, please do the same.

Here is how SMG in the new 5 works. It is interesting that it is similar but not the same as Z4's SMG, according to the article.

? Tip lever rearward or actuate right-hand paddle = upshift
? Tip lever forward or actuate left-hand paddle = downshift
I test drove a Z4 with SMG. I only spent like 10 mintues with it. On the Z4, both paddles work the same, pull it with your fingers to upshift, push it with your thumb to downshift. It doesn't matter which paddle you use. According to this article, E60's SMG works more like M3. right paddle upshift, left paddle downshift. My personal preference is the latter, M3 style shifting. How accurate this article remains to be seen. We will know for sure once a new E60 SMG is available for test drive.

Below is the SMG section:

6-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG), all models. Yet another new 5 Series
feature. To be offered at a later date (only in combination with Sport Package), the
E60's SMG is similar to that offered in the Z4 Series, rather than the BMW M version
with the more elaborate Drivelogic shift-control system.

Like all BMW SMG units, this is an electrohydraulically shifted, electronically controlled
rendition of a 6-speed manual transmission, including an automatic clutch; as such it is
an utterly different type of transmission from a conventional automatic such as the
STEPTRONIC unit. There is no clutch pedal; the driver selects the desired mode (N, R,
D) with a console-mounted selector lever, and can execute manual shifts via that lever
or two "paddles" on the steering wheel. The fundamental advantages of SMG are that it
fully preserves the performance of a manual transmission, entails little penalty in fuel
economy, and facilitates both automated and very sporty driving.

Features and characteristics of the SMG driver interface include the following:
? A Drive mode (D) in which shifting is automated
? A Manual mode (M) in which shifting is mostly driver-controlled
? A Sport button on the console, which selects a Sport program
? An instrument-panel display of the gear currently engaged and the operational
range currently selected.

In D, shifts are automatic, and programmed according to how the driver is currently
driving: More aggressive driving results in shift points at higher speeds. D is not to be
interpreted as a substitute for the Drive range of a fully automatic transmission, but
rather a convenient operational mode for those times when the driver wants ease of
driving and is not primarily concerned with extracting maximum performance.

In the Manual mode, operation is driver-initiated -
? Tip lever rearward or actuate right-hand paddle = upshift
? Tip lever forward or actuate left-hand paddle = downshift
- with the following exceptions:
? If the driver takes the engine up to its rpm limit, SMG will automatically shift to the
next higher gear.
? Upon deceleration, as the engine comes down to approximately 1100 rpm, SMG
selects the next lower gear. When the vehicle comes to a stop, SMG selects 1st
gear automatically; upon moving off, however, the driver again controls the shifting.

Engaging the Sport program via the Sport button on the console influences shifting as
follows:
? In M, shifts occur more quickly (sharply).
? In D, shifts occur not only more quickly, but at higher road speeds. This is parallel to
the Sport mode of BMW automatic transmissions.

In the Sport program, throttle action is also "quicker"; that is, a given amount of
movement at the accelerator pedal produces more engine response.
An instrument-cluster display tells the driver which of the six speeds is currently
engaged. In D, it also shows a "D."

In the 545i 6-Speed, SMG makes its first BMW appearance in combination with a V-8
engine.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:01 PM
coops

What advantages does SMG provide vs. Steptronic Auto with the clutchless manual option? Better mileage? More responsive shifting?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Members

I think the biggest difference is performance. Steptronic is still an automatic tranny and it has a torque converter, which uses more energy. SMG is a real manual shift transmission with a computer controlled clutch. The SMG can shift gear much faster than a human can in a regular manual transmission, let alone an automatic Steptronic tranny.

From driving an Z4 SMG, I found out that SMG doesn't shift as smoothly as a Steptronic. From 1st gear to 2nd gear, there is a small but noticible jerk. I was told that given time, you can time it so you lift the gas paddle at the right time to minimize the jerk. The the cool things about and SMG are that:

- when you down shift, it automatically increases and matches the engine RPM to the lower gear, giving you a nice engine roar.
- When you up shift, it blips the throttle to keep the RPM high.

So you can drive like a pro!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed
Thumbs up

Tell me if I have this correct.

When braking to a stop, the smg downshifts ultimately to 1st gear, then the driver must move the shift knob to the middle left position to place the vehicle in neutral. When starting from stop, the driver pushes the shift knob to the right and upshifts back into 1st gear. ????????
Old 08-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Guest_KIF

The SMG in the E60 is the same as Z4 each paddle shifts up/down , it does go to 1st when you come to a stop[M3 uses SMGII , Z4 uses H-SMG, E60 uses G-SMG].
Old 08-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

I still don't understand the "stopped" state in a clutch-less environment.

When braking to a stop (red light) SMG will automatically downshift based on decreasing rpm's eventually getting into 1st gear (?). Is it the case that as long as your foot remains on the brake (at the red light), that the automatic clutch is "engaged", such that when you release the brake and accelerate you are back in first gear ?

OR, does the driver have to manually move the shift knob to the neutral position at the red light, and then move it back to the right to "engage" first gear while accelerating ???

Thanks for your explanation.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Guest_KIF

It downshifts to first by itself at 5kil [3mph] you don't have to do a thing.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Aug 13 2003, 08:00 PM
When braking to a stop (red light) SMG will automatically downshift based on decreasing rpm's eventually getting into 1st gear (?). Is it the case that as long as your foot remains on the brake (at the red light), that the automatic clutch is "engaged", such that when you release the brake and accelerate you are back in first gear ?
Gizmo, you are correct. It operates pretty much like an automatic tranmission.