E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help- Won't go into neutral, so it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have an SMG car that won't start. Normally you leave it in gear along with the parking brake when you shut it off so it won't roll. When you start it you must put foot on brake, shift into neutral and then turn key. Well I can move the shifter but it is not going into neutral or reverse, it stays in 1st gear. It also only indicates 1st gear even if you move the shifter. Another problem is when I called BMW Assist and they sent a flat bed they could not put it on because they need neutral to get it onto and off of the bed. I was told to call my dealer in the morning to send a tech to the car.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think this happened before to someone here and it turned out to be a bad switch connected to the brake pedal somewhere. In other words, the car didn't think you were pressing the brake because the switch wasn't closing.

Just curious, do your brake lights work?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Uh O... another one... bmwin14rsm had the same problem and his car was replaced cuz they wernt able to figure out the problem....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6589&hl=
Old 07-22-2005, 03:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Thanks, I'll check to see if my brake lights come on. Also thanks for the link to the thread, I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 22 2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks, I'll check to see if my brake lights come on. Also thanks for the link to the thread, I'll keep you posted.
[snapback]151853[/snapback]
If they don't, take a look at part number 9 in the following diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...286&hg=35&fg=05
Old 07-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Also, if you look at the SMG document in the Technical Gallery, you'll see the following information about why the brake light switch is the most likely culprit:

Brake light switch
The brake-light switch signal is transmitted through the PT-CAN (powertrain controller area network) by the DME control unit. For reasons of safety, the signal is also transmitted by a direct wire from the brake light switch to the SMG control unit.

The brake-light switch signal is used for the following operations:
? To release the shift lever lock (shift-lock)
? To detect a brake application
? To shift to "N" when the engine is shut-down

Starter inhibitor
The car access system (CAS) does not enable the starter motor until the SMG control unit emits the release signal. The following conditions must be satisfied for the start to be enabled:
? The gear lever must be in position "N". The LCD display in the instrument cluster must show "N", indicating that the transmission is also in "N".
? The SMG control unit enables the start, the clutch is opened.

Obviously, the problem could be a faulty SMG control unit but here's to hoping that it's just a simple switch...
Old 07-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 21 2005, 10:22 PM
I have an SMG car that won't start. Normally you leave it in gear along with the parking brake when you shut it off so it won't roll. When you start it you must put foot on brake, shift into neutral and then turn key. Well I can move the shifter but it is not going into neutral or reverse, it stays in 1st gear. It also only indicates 1st gear even if you move the shifter. Another problem is when I called BMW Assist and they sent a flat bed they could not put it on because they need neutral to get it onto and off of the bed. I was told to call my dealer in the morning to send a tech to the car.
[snapback]151749[/snapback]
Exact same thing happened to me at 1100 miles. SMG control module was replaced, everythying is fine now. It did take almost two weeks to get a replacement control module from Germany and install though

As for the flatbed, they could not get my car on it either. The tow company sent a different truck which lifts the rear and pulls the car on the front wheels - this was the ONLY way to move the car as it was stuck in gear. I was nervous about the bumper scraping in transit, but it turned out OK. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:22 PM
11:30am- I called my dealer and they were cooperative and were sending a tech to see if they could fix it or get it into neutral so it could be towed. So I was on my motorcycle and went to the car to see if the brake lights came on when stepping on the brake pedal and I tried to start the car and the same thing happened- no start. Then I pumped the brake pedal and turned the key and the car started. I drove it directly to the dealer, thank god I did not need to have it towed, and now I'm driving a convertible Mini Cooper. I told them what everyone here said it could be. They said they will call later. The saga continues...
Old 07-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Hope it works out in a simple fashion. Good luck !
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 22 2005, 08:44 AM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:22 PM']I have an SMG car that won't start. Normally you leave it in gear along with the parking brake when you shut it off so it won't roll. When you start it you must put foot on brake, shift into neutral and then turn key. Well I can move the shifter but it is not going into neutral or reverse, it stays in 1st gear. It also only indicates 1st gear even if you move the shifter. Another problem is when I called BMW Assist and they sent a flat bed they could not put it on because they need neutral to get it onto and off of the bed. I was told to call my dealer in the morning to send a tech to the car.
11:30am- I called my dealer and they were cooperative and were sending a tech to see if they could fix it or get it into neutral so it could be towed. So I was on my motorcycle and went to the car to see if the brake lights came on when stepping on the brake pedal and I tried to start the car and the same thing happened- no start. Then I pumped the brake pedal and turned the key and the car started. I drove it directly to the dealer, thank god I did not need to have it towed, and now I'm driving a convertible Mini Cooper. I told them what everyone here said it could be. They said they will call later. The saga continues...
[snapback]151907[/snapback]
[/quote]

This happened to me on my E46 M3 ... turned out to be bad hydraulic pumps. Get your tech to check those and replace them.

Good luck with it (yeah, when they towed my car they had to lift it because it was stuck in gear )

Quick Reply: Help- Won't go into neutral, so it won't start