E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help a wife who knows nothing abt cars make her husband happy 4 Xmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!

Forgive me for the newbie nature of this posting. I did search and found several threads covering this topic, but the level of discourse was unfortunately over my head, so I need to ask some really basic questions:

I would like to have an Ipod player installed in my husband's 2004 545. I saw that it can cost as much as $500 if I go to the dealership which right now is way more money than I have to spend. Is this something I can do myself? I read several threads that I thought suggested that if you had a 6 CD player already (which we do) that there might be a DIY option. Is that true?

If it is possible to do something that would be less than $500, can someone tell me what those steps would be? And what (and where) I would need to buy to do it?

I also read something about installing the ipod thing changing the way the car drives... did I misunderstand that? I don't want to screw his car up!

I really want to make him happy so if you can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Best,
Rosalind
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I wish I have a wife that understand their husband when it comes to cars. Tell your husband that he is one lucky man. Anyway, regarding your inquiry, you can do a DIY on the ipod installation but, you still need to bring the car to the Dealer for coding for the car to recignize the ipod. Please check on search regarding the step by step on how to do it. I hope it help you.

Here is the link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59271
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 750Li, & 03 E500 & 06 550i

Rosalind, where are you located? I ask because depending on what part of the country, we can recommend you to someone in your area that can do an install for you. Here in So Cal, there are a few options.

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='1070522' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:46 PM
I wish I have a wife that understand their husband when it comes to cars. Tell your husband that he is one lucky man. Anyway, regarding your inquiry, you can do a DIY on the ipod installation but, you still need to bring the car to the Dealer for coding for the car to recignize the ipod. Please check on search regarding the step by step on how to do it. I hope it help you.

Here is the link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59271
Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='1070522' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:46 PM
The link above is very good place to start. If you are lucky, you might be able to get this done for under $500. The Ipod interface alone costs about $250-300. Since your car is an 04, you will probably need to get a software upgrade and coding at the dealer. However, since you have a CD changer, there is a small chance that the interface might be plug and play. Please keep in mind that the BMW ipod interface replaces your CD changer, so you will lose that functionality.

In any case, if you decide to go forward with the project, post the last 7 digits of your VIN or the build date of your car and I will tell you the part number of the interface that you need and where you can get it. The installation is not difficult, but it involves removing your CD changer and could cause error codes on your car if you make a mistake.

If I were you, I would just buy the interface and give it to your husband for Christmas along with the DIY instructions. He will probably enjoy the project!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

like people said above, what a lucky husband!

+1 for the link someone already provided. sometimes people sell their units in "classifieds" section for cheap, but it's hard to catch. good luck
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black Saphire

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1070572' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:09 PM
If I were you, I would just buy the interface and give it to your husband for Christmas along with the DIY instructions. He will probably enjoy the project!
+1
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Rosalind, you're a good woman, and I sincerely hope you can get it done as a surprise for your lucky husband! Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Does the '04 545 not have the aux plug on the back of the center console?
If you don't have to use the iDrive controller/screen/steering wheel controls just plug the iPod into the aux on the console. I got a cable at WalMart for less than $10 that does the job. Sure you have to use the iPod controls and you can't charge but you get to listen to all the tunes you have on it For little money.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SBrown712' post='1070647' date='Dec 9 2009, 12:11 AM
Does the '04 545 not have the aux plug on the back of the center console?
If you don't have to use the iDrive controller/screen/steering wheel controls just plug the iPod into the aux on the console. I got a cable at WalMart for less than $10 that does the job. Sure you have to use the iPod controls and you can't charge but you get to listen to all the tunes you have on it For little money.
The Aux port didn't become standard until 07. Plus I think she wants to give him a nice Christmas gift, not a $10 cable from Walmart.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520i S/E LCI mod.6-2008extras:sun roof,PDC ,Xenon,sport packet etc.Mods:Outsite: full look //m5(bumbers/mirrors/fenders/side skirts/trunk finisher/wheels 166/big-brakes-kit //m5)Angel eyes Gp-thunder 8500kInsite: cluster //m5 optik
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1070626' date='Dec 9 2009, 06:29 AM
Rosalind, you're a good woman, and I sincerely hope you can get it done as a surprise for your lucky husband! Good Luck!
+1 My wife is hapy if i am hapy and that is the reason she is ok with mods in my car, but you Rosalind are
one step forward .....gongratulations!!!

Quick Reply: Help a wife who knows nothing abt cars make her husband happy 4 Xmas