E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with wheel and suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Hi all,

I am hoping a few of you pro's can help this newbie out. I recently bought a 2005 545i w/ the sport package option and I am looking to lower the car and put a different set of wheels (got 124's now). The car I bought is a certified pre-owned so it has the 6 year/100K warranty.

Does anyone know if I added Eibach Pro-Kit springs or the H&R Springs, if it would void my factory warranty????

Also I was talking to my local rim shop and they told me the DO NOT recommend adding any wheel spacers to the rear or on the car in general, as theyh feel it would cause the car to shake, or vibrate, or really just take away from the performance that the car is designed for.

Anyone have any experience regarding wheel spacers and any issues????

thanks for your help, as I cant wait to get this car tuned to my taste!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. neither of those 2 springs will void your warranty. we would actually recommend you to lower your e60 as many of us have. as for wheel spacers, i dont think you would need them for your 124s, but maybe for some other wheels (bigger OEMs or aftermarkets) depending on the offsets. the only issue i heard of regarding spacers was vibration, but that was only due to the spacer not being mounted correctly. other than that, no issues until you want to take them off. so if you go with spacers, make sure you spray them with some anti-seize. enjoy the forums.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='526405' date='Feb 2 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping a few of you pro's can help this newbie out. I recently bought a 2005 545i w/ the sport package option and I am looking to lower the car and put a different set of wheels (got 124's now). The car I bought is a certified pre-owned so it has the 6 year/100K warranty.

Does anyone know if I added Eibach Pro-Kit springs or the H&R Springs, if it would void my factory warranty????

Also I was talking to my local rim shop and they told me the DO NOT recommend adding any wheel spacers to the rear or on the car in general, as theyh feel it would cause the car to shake, or vibrate, or really just take away from the performance that the car is designed for.

thanks for your help, as I cant wait to get this car tuned to my taste!!!!
did you know sport package comes with DSC? it will stiff up when you go in corners.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='526405' date='Feb 2 2008, 07:00 PM

Cheap spacers can cause some issues, but high quality hubcentric spacers are much better and generally will cause no problems.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='526419' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:54 PM
did you know sport package comes with DSC? it will stiff up when you go in corners.

baadaaboo....yes I was aware of how the DSC functions, what i am really looking for is to close the gap from the tire to the wheel wells and give the car a lower stance, without compromising the ride, hence the Eibach Pro Kit and not anything drastic like sport lines...

sounds funny to spend $500 just drop a car for mainly looks, but honestly I think when people buy rims, spoilers and other things, its not really for the performance value, I mean seriously, who can really use these cars to the fullest potential on the streets?!?!!?!? Even better, who would take em to the track????? haha
Old 02-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='526419' date='Feb 2 2008, 07:54 PM
The suspension is tightened by electronically manipulating the anti-sway bars, it does not touch the springs.