E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's the problem there is a weird noise coming from the center console, kind of like rattling but you can only hear it if you sometimes go over a railroad track , i can't seem to find out what is it, nothing in center console it's empty , i feel like taking it apart to see whats underneath, and it's hard to duplicate or else i would take it to dealer, do you guys have this problem, this noise drives me nuts when i go over excessive bumps, its not tire vibration or suspension. going over one bump you can't hear it, but more than 5 bumps in a role you might hear it, thats why i run over the railroad tracks. The only rattle in my car help please. I've taken the car up to 120 to test the tire noise and wheels and suspension it's okay, so slow speed, 30-45 miles over bumps, any inputs. thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='392659' date='Feb 18 2007, 06:10 AM
Okay, here's the problem there is a weird noise coming from the center console, kind of like rattling but you can only hear it if you sometimes go over a railroad track , i can't seem to find out what is it, nothing in center console it's empty , i feel like taking it apart to see whats underneath, and it's hard to duplicate or else i would take it to dealer, do you guys have this problem, this noise drives me nuts when i go over excessive bumps, its not tire vibration or suspension. going over one bump you can't hear it, but more than 5 bumps in a role you might hear it, thats why i run over the railroad tracks. The only rattle in my car help please. I've taken the car up to 120 to test the tire noise and wheels and suspension it's okay, so slow speed, 30-45 miles over bumps, any inputs. thanks.
take it back to the dealer and get them to test drive your car the same as you drive it, I think is the the only hope
Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='392659' date='Feb 17 2007, 05:10 PM

common aging problem... how old is your car?

I observed that aging process faster for outdoor parkings. Desert like temperature in LA fluctuate quite rapidly, parts get heat expansion & contraction everyday. That could be the reason for those noises? I am not an expert but most of my other cars/trucks end up like that too.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: AC Schnitzer Mystic Blue 545i, RDSport quad exhaust, H&R sway bars, 19in staggered Hartge Classic wheels w/ Toyo T1-R, RPI scoop. BMC filter

Did you ever find the cause of your rattle from the center console area? I also have a hollow metallic-like rattle when going over bumpy roads. The noise only occurs after driving several miles when the car is hot. I was also considering removing the cenetr console but will check under the car first to see if this may be an exhaust/driveshaft issue. It is a waste of time taking the car to the dealership as they will probably say they cannot find any faults...seems to be the standard response.