E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with stiff brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by turbo_mustang12' post='687794' date='Oct 8 2008, 04:16 AM
So I decided to post again to see if I can get some help. So i got in my car one day and was backing out of my house when I pushed the brake pedal I almost crashed cause the brake pedal was so stiff< it barely stops I have to push it really hard. So I took the cabin filter off cause the brake booster is located under there and I realised the brake fluid was empty so I had some dot 3 brake fluid laying around so i filled it then realised it took dot 4. Stupid me. So after i put it in the brake pedal is still hard. I bledd the brakes and its still hard. I had some people check it and they said it could be the brake booster. Its a very expensive part so I dont wanna buy it and it not be that. Some say it could be the master cylinder im out of warranty and I dont know what to do I dont wanna take it to the dealer and pay all that money. By the way its a 2005 545i bmw and has been nothing but a headache even my passenger restraint error came on it seems that every common problem is happening to me and I dont have all the money in the world to put in this car cause im a 22 year old student please help.
It strikes me you have a few potential problems here.

Firstly, why was your brake fluid level down - and even more worryingly, why hadn't you got a warning light up on the dash to tell you. By saying 'empty' how low do you mean? - alittle below the line, or the reservoir was empty completely. This sounds like you could have a leak somewhere - that is the first thing to check for.

When you are sure there is no leak (or a leak has been found and fixed), you then need to flush the Dot 3 out and Bleed ALL 4 Wheels which you need to do anyway to flush the Dot 3 fluid through and replace with Dot 4.

However, I doubt any of the above will actually cure the hard brake pedal. Try pumping the brake pedal with the engine off & key out of ignition - it should go rock hard. Then, with your foot still on the brake pedal, start the car and you should feel the pedal go a little softer - sink a little in fact. If this doesn't happen and the pedal remains hard, then this could be the Servo (Brake Booster) that is faulty as you say.

How many miles has the car done?