E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help!! Recived a Transmission Fault message on I Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree it does sound like a fuel/combustion related problem. Especially if it starts after multiple attempts. When it is behaving sluggish or right after a rough start, what happens when you rev it in Neutral? During the rough start, have you tried pumping the gas a bit?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Originally Posted by korrosive
I agree it does sound like a fuel/combustion related problem. Especially if it starts after multiple attempts. When it is behaving sluggish or right after a rough start, what happens when you rev it in Neutral? During the rough start, have you tried pumping the gas a bit?
Right after it starts it seems to run just fine, when it's stuttering to start , reving
it I think always helps and seems to be fine as soon as it does.

Pumping the gas only helps...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Dropped it off at a local shop and they told me they think it's the mass air meter which is not working. Do you think that might have an effect on the starting issue I have?
Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by snadir
Dropped it off at a local shop and they told me they think it's the mass air meter which is not working. Do you think that might have an effect on the starting issue I have?
if that was faulty, your car would run like crap all the time....not just at startup. but i may be wrong.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Contributors

It is plausible. Mine had issues with the MAF, but it would always start and then die immediately after start up. Didn't have issues where it would not start at all, but issues with the MAF will have varying symptoms.

Testing the MAF is super easy to do before dropping $$ on a new MAF. Simply disconnect it and see if it starts/runs smoother.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by korrosive
It is plausible. Mine had issues with the MAF, but it would always start and then die immediately after start up. Didn't have issues where it would not start at all, but issues with the MAF will have varying symptoms.

Testing the MAF is super easy to do before dropping $$ on a new MAF. Simply disconnect it and see if it starts/runs smoother.
i just replaced the maf on my old m3.....with the same exact symptom.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Members

Alright guys, took the car to a local shop which has a 'BMW expert' apparently. Ran diagnostics and couldnt tell what was wrong. As I mentioned before they thought it was the mass air meter so they proceeded to replace that. $1000 later the problem still remains.

I plan on calling the shop tomorrow and arguing with them and will try to get some of my money back as they assumed this was the problem.

What a mess!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Alright guys, took the car to a local shop which has a 'BMW expert' apparently. Ran diagnostics and couldnt tell what was wrong. As I mentioned before they thought it was the mass air meter so they proceeded to replace that. $1000 later the problem still remains.

I plan on calling the shop tomorrow and arguing with them and will try to get some of my money back as they assumed this was the problem.

What a mess!
Sorry to hear that bro. Testing that thing is simple enough that it shouldn't have cost $1000. If anything if it's behaving exactly the same, have them take their part back. Any idea how much they charged you for the part?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Members

$589 for the part!

After doing more research and seeing endless BMW videos on you tube with rough starts, it seems as though it might be the HPFP.

What do you guys think? Also, anyone know how much an out of warranty HPFP job would cost?

This 04 530i Has only 64k miles on it, 61k put on by me(bought it with 3k miles in 05) and has been a nightmare to deal with. Have already paid $4k in repairs.

Advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

$589 for the part!

After doing more research and seeing endless BMW videos on you tube with rough starts, it seems as though it might be the HPFP.

What do you guys think? Also, anyone know how much an out of warranty HPFP job would cost?

This 04 530i Has only 64k miles on it, 61k put on by me(bought it with 3k miles in 05) and has been a nightmare to deal with. Have already paid $4k in repairs.

Advice would be appreciated.
you dont have a high pressure fuel pump. only 535 has it.
did the mechanic check the fuel pressure while cranking the engine?
what kind of diagnostic equipment do they have?
it was a waste to change the maf, like we mentioned above, since a bad maf usually has other symptoms.
you may be better off going to your local dealer.

Quick Reply: Help!! Recived a Transmission Fault message on I Drive