E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP....with a noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s
Unhappy

:bashwall: :bashwall:

The question is if anyone else is having problems with a noise that sounds like it?s coming from the left side of the engine compartment. The noise sounds like a grinding or loud consistent clicking. It sounds like it could be coming from a gear box that is located in the engine compartment. That is just a wild guess. The sound is only for a about a second or two. That is the best way I can describe the noise. It mostly occurs when I open the driver door with the car off and the key is the ignition. It has also has happen when I have unlocked the car with the key. This has occurred at all times of the day or night. It doesn?t occur all the time. This noise started about three weeks ago. Any others having the same problem or any information that could help me?

Thanks,

Central Cali
Old 11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

I have a noise similar to that. I figured it was something controlled by the computer. I also hear a noise right before the trunk opens.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Nov 16 2004, 05:05 PM
I have a noise similar to that. I figured it was something controlled by the computer. I also hear a noise right before the trunk opens.
[snapback]57008[/snapback]
Jimbo,

Thanks, I just scheduled the car to go into the dealer on Dec. 7th. They stated that haven't had a car come in with that problem yet. So I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Central Cali
Old 11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

There is a sound that all the cars make when the key is used to unlock doors, or the doors are opened, but it is usually just a humm. There seems to be a computer that is started up upon any number of actions to prepare the car for further readiness (like its basic brain that awakens).

It could be that this device is clicking for some reason, but it sure seems like that might be the unit from where the sound is coming. Maybe you could check on another car at your dealer to hear what other ones sound like next time you go there.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Mine did it for the first time the other day. In addition to the "wake up" buzz (read: electronic noise) that has always been there, I heard a loud clicking (almost grinding) noise come from the passengers side front. Same general location as the wake up buzz.
I was afraid that my active steering was acting up again. All has been OK for the past 5 days, however.
(Are we sure that BMW is not made by Microsoft? )
Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
JDN
Contributors

Realty, I have a noise like that. That was what I took mine in for when I lost 28 days and they gave it back to me with the noise still there. I called them out and then they could hear it -- finally diagnosed as a likely noise in the AC compressor. No clutch anymore so it could not be 100% positive. The AC still cools. They did not have another compressor and I haven't called to take it in again. It is not intermittent any more. It is there all the time.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

JDN, Is the noise only on "wake up" or do you hear it when the car is on and/or driving. Mine is/was only on wake up (for now).
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 PM
JDN
Contributors

It's a different noise then. Mine is all the time. Need a sport exhaust to drown it out.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Is your birthday coming soon?

Hey, I promised you my rear tires, didn't I. ( , sorry )
Now that they are off of the car, they are yours anytime you want them.
Did I mention that they are well beyond the wear bars?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:45 PM
JDN
Contributors

Now that's really a generous offer, but I don't want to put you to all that trouble. Thanks anyway.