E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! No Electrical Power!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Yes you can definitely open the trunk with the key, even with no battery in the car or with the car locked. Doesn't matter because it's a manual lock. JUST DO NOT LAY DOWN YOUR KEY IN THE TRUNK THEN SHUT IT. <<I read of someone doing that one time....
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pradden
Yes you can definitely open the trunk with the key, even with no battery in the car or with the car locked. Doesn't matter because it's a manual lock. JUST DO NOT LAY DOWN YOUR KEY IN THE TRUNK THEN SHUT IT. <<I read of someone doing that one time....
Okay thanks for the confirmation, Do I just put the key in the slot and then push the handle or it opens some other way? Anyways if my car isn't powering on by tomorrow I will have no choice but to rip of my m5 trunk finisher and open the trunk to get to the battery
Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 PM
New Members

Default Update!

Just an update, so I decided to try and jump start my car today, and when I plugged the jumper cables into the terminals in the engine, power immediately came back on, but the car refused to start! I left the car hooked up to another running car for 30 minutes and when I tried to start the engine the lights would flicker and the starter would tick, I noticed when the car was hooked up to the other running car the battery volts would stay at a constant 11.6-11.8 volts, then I disconnected the jumper cable from the cars and the power went completely off, no lights or dials, idrive working. I then took the battery out and will take it to get it tested tomorrow to see if I can get it recharged or if it needs replacing. The battery is the white OEM BMW one manufactured by Exide, 110Ah/850cc almost three years old. Anyone know of any alternative more powerful longer lasting alternatives? Or should I just go with the same one or the AGM one that BMW sells. Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by HamannE60
Okay thanks for the confirmation, Do I just put the key in the slot and then push the handle or it opens some other way? Anyways if my car isn't powering on by tomorrow I will have no choice but to rip of my m5 trunk finisher and open the trunk to get to the battery
Geez, it's not rocket science. You put the key in the keyhole and then turn the key, just like every other car ever made. It's a mechanical lock and doesn't require any electrical power.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Sorry for your troubles, but it looks like you finally have access to the trunk and you are getting the battery checked out to see if it can be recharged. Hopefully it can and you will be back in business.

My question is now about whether this was your original battery, or if it had been replaced by you? And if it was a replacement, did you do the "registration" or not? You said, I believe, that the current "dead" battery is an OEM white BMW battery, but didn't talk about the other circumstances.

Your situation could be a good data point in the raging debate about registering a replacement battery or not. Some have said not registering might shorten the life of a replacement battery, and your situation might provide good data. I believe a new OEM battery should definitely last longer than 3 years.