E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP!!! New owner 530i with body panel problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am a very happy about owning a 530i. It is my first BMW. I was very pleased overall, but now I have discovered something very unusual.
The side panels from the back bumper seem to be loose!!??

I am not sure why this has happened, but the side panels are loose on both sides, in exactly the same way. I have taken some pictures, I will try to link them here.

I really want to get this fixed, by myself or by the BMW dealer. I still have a year worth of warranty. But I think I really need to come up with something with this. I have no idea, again, why these panels are like this. Basically, I found out that if I use some minor force I can pull them out of place, so the front edge of the panel really sticks out. This is happening in both sides of the car.

I would not like this to ruin my first experience with this awesome car. I think this is definitively not normal for this kind of car. Everything else seems to be in perfect order. Any ideas? Thanks to all in advance.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be concerned that it was in a accident and the bumper was repaired or replaced. I believe there are clips behind the bumper where it attaches to both the bumper and the rear fender that hold it more securely. I'd double check with the seller that it hasn't been repaired though. If it has been repaired, you may be able to go to the shop and have them repair it correctly, although they'll say that the previous owner must have wrecked it after they repaired it and want you to pay for the repair. Hopefully you bought it from a dealer who will be more responsive, though.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Get your car to the dealers Transporter and have them fix the problem.

How is this possible?

Is your car a second hand one?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Looks like some of the fasteners have come loose. Is it possible your car was bumped? Not hard enough to damage the finish of the panels but enough to jar some clip and snap fasteners or pull the screw heads through the plastic parts. In any event the fix is likely to be relatively easy and inexpensive.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

No, this is not normal. Probably, as others have said a minor problem involving some clips or other connecting mechanisms. Just take to the dealership and they'll fix it under warranty. No biggie, just a minor hassle. GL.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Members

Thanks for the quick replies!

I just looked at the vin number sticker on the back of the car, where the license plate will be (I did not get mine yet), and it looks like it is original, I mean, it seems that the back bumper may have not been terribly damaged if it was hit, and the sticker seems to be quite perfect and not peeled of and put back on, kind of thing. The car does look pretty new.

I did not buy the car form the original BMW dealer, but it was from an independent dealer. I think I will go with the first suggestion and get in touvh with him and see if they can repair this. I am doubtful , though. Not a very responsive dealer in my opinion.

What kind of fastener could I use to secure these panels? it does seem to have a hole on both sides where something must have fit in it before, and it is missing now. Would there be a BMW part number? Or any kind of fastener would do?

If the independent dealer shakes hid head, I will go to the BMW dealer. I wonder if they say the same thing about an accident, they will not want to fix this?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

IMHO I'd just take it to the BMW dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty--it may be a simple job. No need to assume, nor imply it was in an accident. If the BMW guys inspect it and come out and say it isn't covered as there is evidence of an accident, then take it back to guy from whom you bought it. But, before you leave the BMW dealership, ask them what it will take to fix it. They may even sell you the fasteners or whatever and you do it yourself and avoid going back to the original seller. Either way, it's going to have to be fixed. GL.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Members

Thanks CWS530 ,
I think that is a good idea to follow. I am new in the BMW dealership-speak too....
I will post updates as they come. Next stop: BMW dealer....
Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Transporter' post='764756' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks CWS530 ,
I think that is a good idea to follow. I am new in the BMW dealership-speak too....
I will post updates as they come. Next stop: BMW dealer....
Let us know how it goes... -Calvin
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Members

It's been a while, but I just wanted to provide an update on my case (for the communal knowledge).

On the dealer issue, I was there a few times. After discussing the problem, to me it seemed that they had the inclination to try and find a reason that would allow them not to cover repairs.

They had the inclination to declare an accident, thereby making things more expensive for me.

After much discussion we ended up with a few theories. It was possible that the previous owner just took the back bumper off to try some sort of modification, (i.e. custom bumper). It was possible that someone just stole them from the car at some point. It was also possible that they got loose after I got seriously stuck back in December in some terrible snow. A few guys pushed and rocked my car and after long battle I was free. I did see them push at both ends of the bumper and these people were strong.

It is just so unusual that the bumper is looking like new, and that only the both bolts at the ends of both sizes are missing. Such an accident would have had to be very very soft and precise to loose both of them.

So in the end I bought the nut and bolt pair myself. I just need to fit them in.

I would like to ask for some good Samaritan ( ) to help me out here and if could possibly provide a picture of how this is setup? If someone is so inclined please check my pictures to see where this pairs of bolt and nuts go.

Thanks,

P.S. I just love my car! I think it's one of the best purchases I ever made. I am now officially a BMW fan. Also, thanks again for all the support and info!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! New owner 530i with body panel problems