E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on my 08 535I stock tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Jet Black

Hey bimmers,

I'm new at this and need some assist on tires. My stock run flat is getting bald and needed to replace them soon. Should I go with same run flat tire or non run flat tires? Its on 18" stock wheel.

If I upgraded to an aftermarket, will 20" rub at all? Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Members

I've heard that run flats tend to be a bit louder than non-run flats. www.tirerack.com has some good reviews on tires.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vinnybtden' post='1036032' date='Oct 19 2009, 05:01 PM
Hey bimmers,

I'm new at this and need some assist on tires. My stock run flat is getting bald and needed to replace them soon. Should I go with same run flat tire or non run flat tires? Its on 18" stock wheel.

RFT or conventional is personal choice and there are mixed opinions about noise, harshness, etc. If you frequently drive [or are a driver who] where a flat would be a major inconvenience the RFTs might be best for you. As noted, tirerack has reviews across the board. Proper wheels (size and offset) with appropriate size tires in 20" have been done by many.

All this somewhat depends on your budget and how and where you drive. Good luck with your shopping and if you decide to buy tires or anything else on line, click thru the link in my signature to find additional discounts and earn rebates for your purchases!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1036480' date='Oct 20 2009, 05:57 AM
RFT or conventional is personal choice and there are mixed opinions about noise, harshness, etc. If you frequently drive [or are a driver who] where a flat would be a major inconvenience the RFTs might be best for you. As noted, tirerack has reviews across the board. Proper wheels (size and offset) with appropriate size tires in 20" have been done by many.

All this somewhat depends on your budget and how and where you drive. Good luck with your shopping and if you decide to buy tires or anything else on line, click thru the link in my signature to find additional discounts and earn rebates for your purchases!
So, if I drive this car a lot, then I should stay with the RFT because there no spare? Anyone having any RFT for sale because its near the holiday and need the money for it. Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by vinnybtden' post='1036485' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:14 AM
So, if I drive this car a lot, then I should stay with the RFT because there no spare? Anyone having any RFT for sale because its near the holiday and need the money for it. Thanks
The car does have a spare, not a full-sized one but one of those doughnut spares.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by vinnybtden' post='1036032' date='Oct 19 2009, 05:01 PM
Hey bimmers,

The only running you should be doing with run flat tires is to run the hell away from them. Non RFTs are quieter and ride much better. And if they are damaged, unlike the RFTs they can actually be repaired with a patch provided the damage is not to the sidewall. I ran just about all of our twisties meets this spring and summer on a patched OEM rear summer Continental tire which I could not have done safely with a damaged RFTs.

I am not knowledgeable about which 20s will fit as I run 19s which I think lookb big enoufh for me. But many members here run 20s so I am sure they will give you advice.

My advice is simple: do not get RFTs to replace your worn out ones. RFT technology still has a long long way to go.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1036568' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:27 AM
The only running you should be doing with run flat tires is to run the hell away from them. Non RFTs are quieter and ride much better. And if they are damaged, unlike the RFTs they can actually be repaired with a patch provided the damage is not to the sidewall. I ran just about all of our twisties meets this spring and summer on a patched OEM rear summer Continental tire which I could not have done safely with a damaged RFTs.

I am not knowledgeable about which 20s will fit as I run 19s which I think lookb big enoufh for me. But many members here run 20s so I am sure they will give you advice.

My advice is simple: do not get RFTs to replace your worn out ones. RFT technology still has a long long way to go.
Thanks guy, I'll going to replace them with all season tires and waiting for some money and then get new rims for it. Then probably M-tech kit later on.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by vinnybtden' post='1036613' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks guy, I'll going to replace them with all season tires and waiting for some money and then get new rims for it. Then probably M-tech kit later on.
For most drivers, all seasons are probably the best buy as they tend to last longer than summer performance tires.

For those folks like me who run the twisties a lot in the warm months, I need the extra grip and margin of safety that summer performance tires provide in situations requiring maxiumu dry weather grip as that extra marging could mean the difference between staying on the road and crashing.

But that summer performance comes at the price of shortened tread life and dramatically decreased grip in the cold weather (and no grip at all in snow) meaning that I need winter tires for the winter.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1036621' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:31 AM
For most drivers, all seasons are probably the best buy as they tend to last longer than summer performance tires.

For those folks like me who run the twisties a lot in the warm months, I need the extra grip and margin of safety that summer performance tires provide in situations requiring maxiumu dry weather grip as that extra marging could mean the difference between staying on the road and crashing.

But that summer performance comes at the price of shortened tread life and dramatically decreased grip in the cold weather (and no grip at all in snow) meaning that I need winter tires for the winter.
Thanks, so I'm going with all season tire for SoCal in case we do get rain and the road are oily.