E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Multiple Malfunctions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:53 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i

That was the only code that popped up afterwards. I've cleared it and am driving it around and no other codes have popped up. What is the P0700 code? I know it has to do with the TCM, but is it bad? I'm hoping this code popped up because of the fluctuating voltage coming in to the tranny due to the bad alternator. Anything else it could be?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

not sure really what it means exactly, but the easiest thing to do is check the adapter at the trans. leaking oil from the adapter + dust from the road will cause a weak connection and you can get weird codes like this. That would be the first and fastest step to take. after that you'll need a professional diagnosis, preferably at a good indy that has ISTA/D.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:33 AM
New Members

Getting my tranny serviced right now cause I found out it was leaking. Asked him to look at all that and let me know. Hopefully it's just dirty and nothing wrong with it. If I don't hear back while he's working on it that's a good sign. Will drive it around after he finishes and then take it back to my Indy mechanic and ask him to scan it and see if anything pops up.

Are there any symptoms of the alternator going out? My friend also has an E60 and he's afraid everything that happened to me will happen to him. He drives 2.5 hours to and from work mostly on the freeway so he doesn't want any of that happening while he's driving. Are there any telltale signs the alternator is going bad he can look for?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

sounds good. Let us know what happens. I wouldn't worry about it. The alternator in our cars isn't overly sensitive or something. Just a normal part that might break down. I wouldn't say its common. There usually isn't someway to find out if its on its way out the door.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I had the same thing happen last week. It started with a Dynamic Drive system failure then a few minutes later the ABS system then eventually warning lights for just about every system on the car. Made it home into the garage and fully charged the battery hoping to make it to my indy service place 5.5 miles and 15 minutes away but I barely got out of the neighborhood when all of the warnings started again. I went home and arranged to have the car towed.

The problem was the alternator and a check of the battery showed a bad cell. Both have been replaced and the car now runs fine.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 AM
New Members

Im thankful it was a $300 fix and not a $3,000 dollar fix!