E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help me decide 530xiT vs. X3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 545i, which is coming up on the lease. I was looking to replace it with an X3 (my wife will be driving it, I'll be getting myself a 335i via ED next year), but now I'm thinking about 530xiT. Both would be automatics. I like the updated '07 X3, but concerned that X3 is a bit smallish after spending a lot of time in a 5 series. According to published measures, the X3 has more cargo area, but I just don't believe it looking at it -- X3 is at 71 cu. ft, 530xiT is at 58 cu. ft. I know the X3 is a bit taller, but in terms of usable cargo area, 5 wagon seems to be the winner. My wife sort of prefers the X3, but she's used to driving the 5 too

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. I guess I'm also trying to justify the extra cost of the 5 series.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the height.

The extra cargo space is the difference in height, unless you pile things up to the roof, the E61 is better.

The load space floor area is greater on the 530, IMHO it is also a far superior drive.

530 every time unless you go off road.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by KAF' post='357402' date='Nov 17 2006, 10:21 PM
You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the height.

The extra cargo space is the difference in height, unless you pile things up to the roof, the E61 is better.

The load space floor area is greater on the 530, IMHO it is also a far superior drive.

530 every time unless you go off road.
Yes.If you are not planning to go offroad and do extreme things then stay with the comfort and handling of the e60 that you allready are familiar with
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Farming or driving?

ABC
Old 11-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by DaveR' post='357387' date='Nov 17 2006, 03:30 PM
I have a 545i, which is coming up on the lease. I was looking to replace it with an X3 (my wife will be driving it, I'll be getting myself a 335i via ED next year), but now I'm thinking about 530xiT. Both would be automatics. I like the updated '07 X3, but concerned that X3 is a bit smallish after spending a lot of time in a 5 series. According to published measures, the X3 has more cargo area, but I just don't believe it looking at it -- X3 is at 71 cu. ft, 530xiT is at 58 cu. ft. I know the X3 is a bit taller, but in terms of usable cargo area, 5 wagon seems to be the winner. My wife sort of prefers the X3, but she's used to driving the 5 too

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. I guess I'm also trying to justify the extra cost of the 5 series.

Thanks,
Dave
I think that cars have to pass stricter collision and rollover safety standards than do SUV/SAV's. I would go with the 530. The new X5 should be out in a few weeks which promises to be bigger still.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by DaveR' post='357387' date='Nov 17 2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks,
Dave

I tend to dislike SUVs or SAVs overall. A notable big disaster for automotive progress and the environment. The cargo capacity is limited and this will forever suprise people. The X3 is small. Its essentially a small station wagon with more headroom and vertical room in the boot, albeit it has greater rear fold down utility. Need a really big SUV to reap the space benefits. Minivans are the logical choice here and there are plenty choices such as top dog Honda. The wifey probably would hate that option but its cheaper. You'll miss that 545i.

In terms of driving, nothing compares to a car chasis (particulary a BMW) and the inherent performance and safety benefits of the lower center of gravity. Ladies prefer the elevated view over road and this is the strong appeal. That said, you can point to safety issues with SUVs as a convincer. Back to the 530xiT, its moderately more functional than a sedan and IMHO the better choice. I'm not a big fan of AWDs as modern two wheel drive systems handle most everything.

Just my two cents.

CVT Benhogan
Old 11-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If your wife prefers the facelifted X3 - do not ask us

But if you insist on the E60 xT, wait for the facelift.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.
Exclamation

We went thru a similar consideration- the X3 or X5 or 530xit. I wanted the 530 for better engine, and road handling- she liked the bigger box of the SAVs. She thought the X3 was too small and I agreed, she thought the 530xit was too low and I didn't agree. In the end she prefered the X5 with sport package and after exhausting US inventory she gave up on the manual and accepted steptronic (which really isn't that bad...).

The new X5 looks that much better if you really want the higher capacity, but I'd still take the wagon. Of course the money factors were so cheap my lease is up next December so I'll have another shot at her.

Any one of these vehicles is simply fantastic- so you can't go wrong. Have fun.

PS: Of course the other advice to let her pick whatever she wants is (of course) the answer...
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

XiT is way better looking than the X3. My opinion.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Go for the 530XiT - no downsides and much sportier.

Quick Reply: Help me decide 530xiT vs. X3