E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help... Massive lack in power, loud ticking sound, vaporised fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again anti, I was explaining that to the mechanic that they go into engine, he realised and said one has broken off and got stuck and there's something else bent and hanging on by a thread.

If some shrapnel has damaged the engine, what's the least that can happen, does it just get mashed into piece then eventually make it's way down the the sump? Would a look at the sump plug be an indication?

Sorry for smashing you guy with questions, my girlfriend is devastated and i'm just doing what I can in the short amount of time I have to get some light at the end of the tunnel. You've no idea how much i appreciate your help.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hey! This forum is all about to help other people!

The broken pieces/shrapnel can't get into the sump. The only way they can head on from the cylinder is the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Most likely you would find the pieces/shrapnel from the catalytic converter. Not actually inside the cat, because it's a thick filter, but on the cat. In a bad case the turbo may be damaged too.

- Antti -
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Here's a good article about the swirl flaps:
- how it can break
- how to remove them
- what kind of damage a broken flap can do

- Antti -
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Members

wow, that really is terrible. For something not hugely necessary to cause such havock. I will prey I get off lightly. My girlfriend has only just replaced the turbo which was 900 just for the turbo. ouch.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Members

that's a very interesting article. horrible to think that the pistons and head could look like that for all we know. will i have plastic or metal flaps? 2004 model.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributors

That hurts...
I hope the damages are minimum.

At least, get these checked:
- the piston/cylinder
- valves on this piston
- exhaust manifold (that it is empty from shrapnels)
- turbo
- catalytic converter

If the intake manifold itself is ok (not cracked or anything), you don't need to buy another one. Just get the remaining swirl flaps removed.

By the way, does your GF's car have a DPF (diesel particulate filter). I'm asking because all E60s that have the DPF, also have the "reinforced" swirl flap axels compared to the cars that don't have the DPF. However, there are reports about the broken swirl flaps in a DPF equipped cars too! If you're not sure about the DPF, you can check it from the idrive --> service folder. Other way to determine it is to check the exhaust pipe tips; if they're folded down --> no DPF, if they're straight --> DPF. Given that they're not modded.

Sure this doesn't help you and/or your gf, but I'd be interested to know...

- Antti -

edit: If you have the DPF and the "reinforced" flaps, then they are rubber covered. They're still metal, only covered with rubber. If you don't have the DPF, then the flaps are bare metal.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Please refresh the page and reread my post above. I made some fixes on my text...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

she does not have the particulate filter, it was a really early e60 and she leaves a small cloud of black smoke any time she puts the foot down.

Okay so the only thing that can really be broken is the flaps themself and they just need blanked?

In this case, can you explain to me why the car runs so bad at the moment? So the swirl flaps break but why does it run so bad at moment(pretend there is no engine damage, I know it's silly but pretend there was broken swirls and screws that teleported out of the engine bay). Hypothetically speaking, could some pmw blanks cure this car?

cheers
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stevolution
she does not have the particulate filter, it was a really early e60 and she leaves a small cloud of black smoke any time she puts the foot down.

Okay so the only thing that can really be broken is the flaps themself and they just need blanked?

In this case, can you explain to me why the car runs so bad at the moment? So the swirl flaps break but why does it run so bad at moment(pretend there is no engine damage, I know it's silly but pretend there was broken swirls and screws that teleported out of the engine bay). Hypothetically speaking, could some pmw blanks cure this car?

cheers
Basically in this scenario if the swirl flap are broken and stuck in the closed position it will hamper the engine performance at higher revs or it causes erratic flow of air into the engine ifs loose and moving meaning the ECU is working to compensate

Hopefully you have no further damage and the removal of the swirlflaps and replacing them with blanks will allow you get it back up and running, and as long as you don't have any cracks in the manifold you can reuse it with the blanks

P.S Why was the turbo replaced?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Members

all of a sudden there was a tinney sound coming from the car, there was no power and there was smoke. so we replaced it. You thinking it could be connected?

I just put it down to the car having covered over 100k and i'm sure the turbos tend to go anything after 80k.

Quick Reply: Help... Massive lack in power, loud ticking sound, vaporised fuel...