E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

E60 Navitgation Retrofit

Car details:
2004 BMW 530I Sport Package, Premium Package
Manufacture Date: 12/03

This is my first e60. I've owned about 5 E46's in the last 5 years. Jumping into this 5 series is a lot different.
I've taken apart the entire E46 and retrofitted many parts of these cars but this E60 is proving to be a bit more difficult......

I?m looking for some professionals? help/advice/opinions. I?ve currently swapped out the MAS and installed an OEM Navigation unit.
This car did NOT have navigation but the car was prewired for navigation. I simply took out the original CD player MASK and installed
a unit that I got from another E60. (Part numbers can be given if need be) Again, I had all necessary wires pre-installed from factory.
I obtained an X5 8:8 screen and made it fit in my old 6.5? screen?s housing with a little chop suey. I didn?t have to change any wiring
or anything. Widescreen pulls up and have the split screen option as well.

I also installed the BMW IPOD auxillary cable in my glovebox. I do not have the original Navigation DVD but have ?backup? copies of
the 2009 that I?m trying to work with before buying the OEM disc.

After all is said and done with the installation navigation seems to be halfway there. Here are the symptoms I?m currently having:

1) The drives do not play MP3. I?ve spoken to the dealer and they can do the MP3 coding and I have the service bulletin for upgrading
the software to fix that issue. So this should not be a problem.

2) When the ?backup? navi disc actually reads which is about 1/3 of the time, it apparently thinks I?m in California. In the address book
there were many entries for Cali. I?ve deleted all but one to play with. When I try to find current location it sounds like the disc is working
overtime and then asks me to insert DVD. I do believe that?s a disc problem and should be able to eventually work it out. But as far as
thinking I?m in California????mmmm. Perhaps new disc will allow me to get that straightend out? Or is this a software/programming issue?

3) I have no sound at all. No door chimes. No seatbelt warning chimes (Yippe!) and no sound at all!

4) When I insert a CD it only allows me to scroll through the first couple of tracks. After this no more scrolling. In fact I?ve noticed that
this iDrive knob locks when there is no more options to select vs. my old MASK where it will keep spinning even if I?m at the last option.
Did not replace iDrive knob or anything. In fact don't know what iDrive High is! Perhaps I have it? Seems to work fine already.

So I don?t know what the deal is but I?m checking into the disc isssue. It appears that I wouldn?t even see any map options or anything
without the disc and they do come occassionally just enough to tease me but that?s it.

I assume that the dealer can do the MP3 coding with no problems thus getting the unit and my IPOD to work.

What about the sound? I am not sure if Logic7 is in the car but I do appear to have a grill in the front dashboard. The car is parked and
I?ll have to reinspect under the seats. I?ve ripped out the trunk liners to get ready for an audio diagnostic if need be. But will coding help
this? Exactly what coding do I need to have done to get all this squared away?

I usually do all my own servicing but when I need to do something I cant handle I go to Reeves Import Motor Cars in Tampa. They
previously told me that all computer programming is done between 7am and noon. After 12pm they shut their systems down. So that
only leaves about 5 hours.

So any professionals with facts that can attribute to my success in getting this all sorted out will be more than appreciated.

In addtion I've been thinking of just buying the BMW GT1 and doing the programming and coding myself. I have a new unit ready to go
should I choose that route.

BMW GT1 software comprises of five systems:
DIS(Diagnosis Information System),
TIS system,
diagnosis system,
measuring system
manangement system.

Has anyone worked with the GT1 than can offer advice on it and is it capable of what I need?
Bottom line is that it comes down to eliminating headaches from untrained programmers at the dealer, money, and getting the job done
right the first few times around. If I HAVE to replace my old things and update the car's software then replace units and do retrofit I can do
that easily.

The photos I've attached are from the new CCC. Can anyone tell me anything about these codes? Or what updates would be necessary?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='949147' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:05 PM
1) The drives do not play MP3. I?ve spoken to the dealer and they can do the MP3 coding and I have the service bulletin for upgrading
the software to fix that issue. So this should not be a problem.
correct.
2) When the ?backup? navi disc actually reads which is about 1/3 of the time, it apparently thinks I?m in California. In the address book
there were many entries for Cali. I?ve deleted all but one to play with. When I try to find current location it sounds like the disc is working
overtime and then asks me to insert DVD. I do believe that?s a disc problem and should be able to eventually work it out. But as far as
thinking I?m in California????mmmm. Perhaps new disc will allow me to get that straightend out? Or is this a software/programming issue?
you're not getting a GPS position. did you connect the GPS antenna? since you were fortunate enough to have the pre-wiring the wire should be back there somewhere. purple connector if I remember right. might be blue. either way, it's a fakra connector like the radio antenna.

3) I have no sound at all. No door chimes. No seatbelt warning chimes (Yippe!) and no sound at all!
this is normal if your car doesn't have Logic7 and the car it came from did, or vice-versa. this will be fixed by the nav retrofit coding.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

4) When I insert a CD it only allows me to scroll through the first couple of tracks. After this no more scrolling. In fact I?ve noticed that
this iDrive knob locks when there is no more options to select vs. my old MASK where it will keep spinning even if I?m at the last option.
Did not replace iDrive knob or anything. In fact don't know what iDrive High is! Perhaps I have it? Seems to work fine already.
the pre-wire for the US included the iDrive High (ie feedback, what you're experiencing at the end of a list.) so you're set there. the "low" controller wouldn't have worked at all.
So I don?t know what the deal is but I?m checking into the disc isssue. It appears that I wouldn?t even see any map options or anything
without the disc and they do come occassionally just enough to tease me but that?s it.
even if it's an old 2006 DVD, try with an original disk first. the drive is notoriously picky.
I assume that the dealer can do the MP3 coding with no problems thus getting the unit and my IPOD to work.

I usually do all my own servicing but when I need to do something I cant handle I go to Reeves Import Motor Cars in Tampa. They
previously told me that all computer programming is done between 7am and noon. After 12pm they shut their systems down. So that
only leaves about 5 hours.

In addtion I've been thinking of just buying the BMW GT1 and doing the programming and coding myself. I have a new unit ready to go
should I choose that route.
the nav retrofit coding followed by MP3 retrofit coding will take care of all of your issues. However, be advised the dealer's programming unit is rather picky about part #s, etc. I have a feeling it's not going to like the X5 monitor.

GT1 will not do this programming.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Guys thanks for the replies. The monitor should be no different, it's simply a monitor. I just had an intelligent conversation with the programmer at my BMW service center. He seemed to know exactly what I'm talking about and told me do not put any old parts in yet. bring the car we'll see where we're at and go from there. It may have already had software updates prior to me owning the car.

So in a sense everything is pointing toward me being lucky as hell. I probably just need to get the DVD and need to have the MP3 coding and a bit of programming done.

I definately have all the wiring connected and connected correctly. I do have the shark fin. I believe it's the purple connector in the back, not the blue....in any case it's all hooked up correctly. So any other thoughts on why I'm in Cali and not in Florida? My guess is that it's the damn DVD. I'm lucky it even picked up that far.

I made an error in stating their servers are from 8am-1pm.....that day the server crashed apparently and they were on backup.

I just picked up the center console trim. Cost me $32 for the whole piece! Don't know the part #..... it's marked #15 on my diagram.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Ok so I took it to the dealer and everything seemed to go ok SO FAR. I have sound, no OEM navi DVD so the thing still acts the same....I have an aux option in my menu but I plug the iPhone in and nothing happens at all.

They did have problems coding with my screen because it's for an E70 but the programmer called me and I told him to slap another in, do the recoding and then throw mine back in. He said he would see about that.....an hour or so later I got a call saying car is done.

Also told me my fan isn't working on my CCC so could overheat. i believe i plugged in correctly but will investigate all leads. Any ideas about that? hell, if that's the case I can tap into the A/C duct and route some cold air down while trying to figure that out.

BTW, cost for updating the DME with new software and doing the ipod/mp3 retrofit was $347 (my dealer cost) .... had the Manager knock of another $50 for a previous incident i had with them. So Total cost was $297.....

So AUX option, but no iphone working. I haven't tried to play mp3 yet either. So suggestions of the fan and and ipod?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Also I just noticed that my Bluetooth option isn't there anymore WTF. When I click on phone it says Phone Not Installed.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='950781' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:44 PM
They did have problems coding with my screen because it's for an E70 but the programmer called me and I told him to slap another in, do the recoding and then throw mine back in. He said he would see about that.....an hour or so later I got a call saying car is done.
told you...you're lucky the dealer was flexible enough to do that. as far as the bluetooth, an '04 wouldn't have had it stock, even if the CCC showed the option before you coded it. did you have it before this whole retrofit operation?

as far as the fan, double check the leads. if you look closely on the harnesses, the pins are numbered. make sure you put them in the right spots:

Connect the CCC fan wiring harness E to plug
X13813 as follows:
RTSW cable to PIN 1
BR cable to PIN 5
WS cable to PIN 11.

also, the GPS on the sharkfin is likely connected to the TCU (bmw assist unit) instead of the cable leading to the CCC. pop off the panel inside the car under the sharkfin and look for a tied-back connector. that should go to the blue connection snapped into the roof liner. (not the one on the sharkfin itself.)
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='950839' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:36 PM
told you...you're lucky the dealer was flexible enough to do that. as far as the bluetooth, an '04 wouldn't have had it stock, even if the CCC showed the option before you coded it. did you have it before this whole retrofit operation?

as far as the fan, double check the leads. if you look closely on the harnesses, the pins are numbered. make sure you put them in the right spots:

Connect the CCC fan wiring harness E to plug
X13813 as follows:
RTSW cable to PIN 1
BR cable to PIN 5
WS cable to PIN 11.

also, the GPS on the sharkfin is likely connected to the TCU (bmw assist unit) instead of the cable leading to the CCC. pop off the panel inside the car under the sharkfin and look for a tied-back connector. that should go to the blue connection snapped into the roof liner. (not the one on the sharkfin itself.)

Great I'll try this with the sharkfin.... As far as the Fan, Car was prewired. I just plugged the plug to the fan, it may be that it's not hooked up to the X13813 by default and i assumed it was. I do have a diagram and I'll get to that later tonight.

I certainly did have the bluetooth option on my menu prior to all this. Is there another piece of equipment needed or is it inside the CCC? I just never paired with my phone so I assumed it was in the CCC. Still wondering about the MP3 playback as well. I have a CD that I'm going to try to play later as well. I have a feeling I'm heading back.....as helpful as they are they probably tend to overlook some stuff. But I am VERY unimpressed with this factory system. My Harmon Kardon system kicked ass in my e46 coupe. Especially when I'd play movies. No need for additional subs or anything. Surround all the way!

I appreciate your help I'll try to make some progress. Without forums like this and members like you I'd be dead in the water. Of course I'd just take it all apart again and trace it all out.

will update you soon.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='951065' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:48 PM
Great I'll try this with the sharkfin.... As far as the Fan, Car was prewired. I just plugged the plug to the fan, it may be that it's not hooked up to the X13813 by default and i assumed it was. I do have a diagram and I'll get to that later tonight.

I certainly did have the bluetooth option on my menu prior to all this. Is there another piece of equipment needed or is it inside the CCC? I just never paired with my phone so I assumed it was in the CCC. Still wondering about the MP3 playback as well. I have a CD that I'm going to try to play later as well. I have a feeling I'm heading back.....as helpful as they are they probably tend to overlook some stuff. But I am VERY unimpressed with this factory system. My Harmon Kardon system kicked ass in my e46 coupe. Especially when I'd play movies. No need for additional subs or anything. Surround all the way!

I appreciate your help I'll try to make some progress. Without forums like this and members like you I'd be dead in the water. Of course I'd just take it all apart again and trace it all out.

will update you soon.
the non-L7 leaves quite a bit to be desired. it is somewhat easy to upgrade the subwoofer amp though.

when you say you had the bluetooth option on your menu prior to "all of this", do you mean your M-ASK unit showed bluetooth, or the CCC? bluetooth was most definitely not available on a 9/03 build E60. you had to replace the TCU (back left of the trunk) and get a reprogram to have it. Now it is possible the programming didn't code the CCC for bluetooth, but given the production date of your car, unless the previous owner went through the upgrade, you don't have it.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='951473' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:36 AM
the non-L7 leaves quite a bit to be desired. it is somewhat easy to upgrade the subwoofer amp though.

when you say you had the bluetooth option on your menu prior to "all of this", do you mean your M-ASK unit showed bluetooth, or the CCC? bluetooth was most definitely not available on a 9/03 build E60. you had to replace the TCU (back left of the trunk) and get a reprogram to have it. Now it is possible the programming didn't code the CCC for bluetooth, but given the production date of your car, unless the previous owner went through the upgrade, you don't have it.

I have an 12/03 build date.

It seems the Fan was hooked up to the CD changer plug. I popped the wires out and plugged them into the ipod plug and tada! Funny because this was in the Installation Instructions for the retrofit but for some reason i overlooked that. Anyway that problem is resolved.

I've popped off the panel inside under the sharkfin and I have 3 plugs hooked up. Black, Maroon and Blue. the black and blue are directly attached to the rear of my unit. The maroon is attached to the sharkfin but I'm not sure where that leads as I haven't found the other end.

In regards to the bluetooth. Never appeared when I had the MASK in but when I popped in the new CCC it was there. Now it's not.

So I still am not able to play MP3 in either CD or DVD drive and therefore unable to use the ipod. Go figure. Dealer Service guy hasn't called me back yet. Looks like I'll just have to pop in again with no appt. That seems to work best for me. Other than that it's a done deal so it seems. I got a 2008 DVD off ebay for $65 waiting on that. Seems that the navi reads my dvd partially and doesn't appear to have any memory mode available whatsoever. Unless it's only activated when the DVD is inserted and last known location Was Los Angles thus thinking I too am in LA. .....so most likely my GPS location issues are simply a matter of having that DVD. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit