E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP! Got Rear eneded........ Now my car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i
Model Year: 2011

I have 2005 545i and last week I got rear ended (nothing major), but rear bumper needs to be changed. So I want to use that opportunity to install the Mtech front and rear bumpers. But my car won't start. I first thought it was the battery because I still have the original, so I bought a new battery, but all I hear is a slight click when I try to start it. What do ya'll think it is? HELP!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Possible that the rear-end hit damaged electrical components in the right side quarterpanel. Also possible some electronics might be located in the spare tire comparment that were damaged and are causing the car not to start. I assume its related to the right side though because the battery is there. Unscrew the carpet molding on the right side in the trunk and remove it to see the battery area (its only 2 plastic screws holding it in place). Look for damage, etc.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Emergency Batt disconnect could have also been tripped.
The shock so close to the batt ( right rear of car aft of the rear wheels) could have tripped it.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Emergency Batt disconnect could have also been tripped.
The shock so close to the batt ( right rear of car aft of the rear wheels) could have tripped it.
+1
The Battery Safety Terminal may have opened. Have you tried to jump starting?
Attached Thumbnails HELP!  Got Rear eneded........  Now my car won't start.-bst.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the troubles man. as an option though for the mtech, we do have our replica mtech parts available as an option
Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
+1
The Battery Safety Terminal may have opened. Have you tried to jump starting?
Thanks ya'll i'll go take a look at that tomorrow (car is at the body shop). However, like I wrote I did replace the old battery and the dash lights up and the radio, lights, horn all work, but it it just not starting.

So what do I do if the safety terminal has opened?
Will the dash light still come on even with the safety terminal on?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy
sorry to hear about the troubles man. as an option though for the mtech, we do have our replica mtech parts available as an option
I did see that and I am seriously considering it. I was quoted by another company for the set (which is front & rear bumpers and the side skirts). How much is the set with you guys shipped to Houton, TX (77469)? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mokk76
Thanks ya'll i'll go take a look at that tomorrow (car is at the body shop). However, like I wrote I did replace the old battery and the dash lights up and the radio, lights, horn all work, but it it just not starting.

So what do I do if the safety terminal has opened?
Will the dash light still come on even with the safety terminal on?
The Battery Safety Terminal disconnects the starter and alternator from the battery after an accident. If the car will jump start from the jump
start terminal UNDER THE HOOD then I would suspect the BST.
The car's electronics get power through another battery connection so the other things you mentioned should work.
If the BST is bad it may require a dealer to replace and clear any error codes generated. Have your body man check it out. Maybe he can do it.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
The Battery Safety Terminal disconnects the starter and alternator from the battery after an accident. If the car will jump start from the jump
start terminal UNDER THE HOOD then I would suspect the BST.
The car's electronics get power through another battery connection so the other things you mentioned should work.
If the BST is bad it may require a dealer to replace and clear any error codes generated. Have your body man check it out. Maybe he can do it.
So if it the Battery Safety Terminal issue, how do I fix it or can I just buy the cable somewhere and install it real quick...?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mokk76
So if it the Battery Safety Terminal issue, how do I fix it or can I just buy the cable somewhere and install it real quick...?
The BST is at the battery end of the cable that runs up to the starter. The BST repair involves cutting and splicing the battery
cable in the trunk area. This splice must be able to handle all the current the starter needs so it has to be good!
Still we're just speculating the BST has failed in the first place.
Maybe you could run by a BMW parts counter and ask to look at BST replacement:
61126929324 SBK
or
61126989780 SBK2, to determine if it's something you would want to do if needed.
I've attached another pic of a BST. Is this one similar to yours?
Keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails HELP!  Got Rear eneded........  Now my car won't start.-battcon.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP! Got Rear eneded........ Now my car won't start.