E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Error msg: Remote control is not in the ignition lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I got an unusual error message today. The error message is a KEY with a dash through it and the iDrive screen message says: "The remote control is not in the ignition lock. Restarting the engine may not be possible".

Plus, I can't get the key in the ignition...I tried both keys. It will only go in partially...it won't seat. I have comfort access so I can start the car; however, when I turn the car off, I get the symbol for Key still in the ignition and the chimes. Outside the car, comfort access will not work. I have to use the fob buttons to unlock and lock the car doors. I think the car thinks the key is still in the ignition.

The error message appeared today after getting the safety inspection on my car. The technician pulled it up front, handed me the key, I got in to leave, and saw the message...got back out and asked the technician if he had done anything unusual to turn off the car. He said he used the stop/start button and removed the key. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't disengage the key properly but yanked it out instead of pushing it in and getting it to release normally.

I've done a few searches here but didn't get a similar message or issue. Found a match on Bimmerfest via Google, but no-one replied to that post with a solution.

This is the first issue I've had in the three years I've owned the car. Actually picked it up three years ago today!

Hoping the experts on this forum can help! Is there some trick I can use to get the ignition lock to release?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by dmahon' post='1017690' date='Sep 26 2009, 02:05 PM
I got an unusual error message today. The error message is a KEY with a dash through it and the iDrive screen message says: "The remote control is not in the ignition lock. Restarting the engine may not be possible".

Plus, I can't get the key in the ignition...I tried both keys. It will only go in partially...it won't seat. I have comfort access so I can start the car; however, when I turn the car off, I get the symbol for Key still in the ignition and the chimes. Outside the car, comfort access will not work. I have to use the fob buttons to unlock and lock the car doors. I think the car thinks the key is still in the ignition.

The error message appeared today after getting the safety inspection on my car. The technician pulled it up front, handed me the key, I got in to leave, and saw the message...got back out and asked the technician if he had done anything unusual to turn off the car. He said he used the stop/start button and removed the key. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't disengage the key properly but yanked it out instead of pushing it in and getting it to release normally.

I've done a few searches here but didn't get a similar message or issue. Found a match on Bimmerfest via Google, but no-one replied to that post with a solution.

This is the first issue I've had in the three years I've owned the car. Actually picked it up three years ago today!

Hoping the experts on this forum can help! Is there some trick I can use to get the ignition lock to release?
He probably just yanked it out, hopefully nothing is broken, Try put your pinky finger and press towards the back this might release the latch internally.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

Update: Took Ukamath's suggestion. Tried my pinky but couldn't get the leverage. Took the remote and pressed it in...had to put pressure on it that normally isn't required, but it worked. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:49 PM
Kgk
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i 6 speed manual left USA side drive

Originally Posted by ukamath
He probably just yanked it out, hopefully nothing is broken, Try put your pinky finger and press towards the back this might release the latch internally.
hey so I've gotten this dash light warning with key crossed off that you spoke of . i parked the car and just like it said car does not want to do anything now not even lights on dash anymore i put new battery in car and key fob i have not registered battery yet waiting for scanner tool to come in mail . but only thing i get is the key left in ignition symbol only when door is open if i close door i get nothing at all on dash and still no start....
Old 06-28-2021, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 183 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Wait for your scan tool, then let us know what error codes it reads.
The following users liked this post:
Kgk (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Looks like you're going to have to reset the ELV counter if a module is not bad. Let's see what the code says if line 15 is hot.
Kgk (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 05:53 AM
Kgk
New Members

Ok thanks guys . should be here in a few hours I'll keep you guy's posted .
Old 06-29-2021, 03:26 PM
Kgk
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Looks like you're going to have to reset the ELV counter if a module is not bad. Let's see what the code says if line 15 is hot.
it did it said that terminal 15. Also i couldn't register my battery neither.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:34 PM
Kgk
New Members

This is the other half of that msg
sorry for time difference it's only 7:30 pm here in Brooklyn NYC

Last edited by Kgk; 06-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 183 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Did you have the ignition on?

I used to own a BM500. I returned it because it had grammatical errors and other issues. They probably finally fixed them. I just got tired of waiting.
Kgk (06-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Help with Error msg: Remote control is not in the ignition lock