E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with E60 jargon and features

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve been considering getting a 5 series for many months now. Initially I was fixed on the 520d M Sport but I have now started to consider all of the diesel M Sport models. I have a huge amount of questions which I can?t seem to find the answers to (tried google and searching on this website). Could someone please answer as many of them as possible. I?ve think I know some of the answers but I may be wrong so I?m going to answer my own questions where I know but happy to be corrected or information can be added as appropriate.

All models I refer to are about 2nd hand diesel M Sports (3 years or newer).

Q1. What are the differences between the standard options across all the models (except the engine)?
A1. 520d has standard air conditioning where the others have the extended features version. Also, the 535d has lane departure warning and auto gear box, where as the others don?t. Apart from this, they have the same standard options.

Q2. What stats does the OBC display (e.g. current MPG)?

Q3. Does the OBC also display safety warnings (e.g. brake light bulb is out)?

Q4. Does the glove box have a vent in it? (Useful to keep things hot or cold e.g. cans of drink).

Q5. What are the difference between the standard auto gear box (the one on the 535d) and the sport auto gear box?
A5. Reading this (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42608) seems to imply it gives paddle shifters and an extra sport mode.

Q6. Does this mean that the standard auto gearbox allows manual up and down shifting of gears in a sequential mode?

Q7. What is dynamic drive, there seems to be very little information on this?

Q8. Do comfort seats also include lumbar support and heated seats?

Q9. Why is the Child ISOFIX a no cost option (i.e. why not have it as standard)? Does it mean that most cars won?t have this as people who not requested it?

Questions about the standard options:

Q10. What is the Brake Fade Compensation?

Q11. What is Brake Force Display?

Q12. What is Brake Pre-Tensioning?

Q13. What is the Check Control Warning System?

Q14. What is hill start and how does it work?
A14. It holds the brakes for a 1 when on a hill to stop it rolling back.

Q15. What is Soft Stop and how does it work?

Q16. What?s in the M aerodynamic package?

Q17. What are the extended features of the advanced air conditioning?

Q18. What does the car/key memory feature remember?

Additional questions:

Q19. What kind of MPG can the 535d expect if you?re taking it easy on the motorway (e.g. cruising around 60mph)?

Q20. What kind of MPG can the 535d expect around city if you are driving it very economically?

Q21. Where's the best place to find 5 series that are fully loaded with optional extras (autotrader seems to have mostly standard cars and/or the ones with optional extras are hard to find)?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Niiiiceeeee.

very good questions. i shoudlve done that b4 i bought mine, just for the fun of it.

but its actually excellent to be that well informed bout ur car b4 buying it.

sorry cant help u though have 520i.,tc

PS: wht do u do for a living.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='549621' date='Mar 23 2008, 09:37 PM
Niiiiceeeee.

very good questions. i shoudlve done that b4 i bought mine, just for the fun of it.

but its actually excellent to be that well informed bout ur car b4 buying it.

sorry cant help u though have 520i.,tc

PS: wht do u do for a living.
Software engineer. I've never spent over ?15k on a car so spending this amount of money is definitely worthy of some indepth research. There's no way I could afford a brand new 5 series and thus I am resorting to buying around a 3 year old one.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributors

thought so. we as engineers always do an indepth research on wht we re bout to buy.gd luck with ur car.tc
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Bump. Someone must be able to help with at least some of these questions?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M Sport

My wife and I collected our 10/2004 535d M Sport on Saturday, so I'll attempt to answer some of your questions! My answers in BOLD.

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='549606' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:55 PM
Q1. What are the differences between the standard options across all the models (except the engine)?
A1. 520d has standard air conditioning where the others have the extended features version. Also, the 535d has lane departure warning and auto gear box, where as the others don’t. Apart from this, they have the same standard options.

Lane departure warning is an option, not standard fit.

In the small display between the speedo and rev counter it shoes Current MPG, Average Speed, Distance to Empty. The iDrive display also has Journey Computer which gives some other info, time since departed etc I think

Yes a warning triangle illuminates which refers you to the iDrive display for detail

Q4. Does the glove box have a vent in it? (Useful to keep things hot or cold e.g. cans of drink).

I've not noticed one, but can't swear it's not

Q5. What are the difference between the standard auto gear box (the one on the 535d) and the sport auto gear box?
A5. Reading this (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42608) seems to imply it gives paddle shifters and an extra sport mode.

Paddle shifters is a 2008 model year feature? It's not on ours anyway and the shifter has the sport mode with +/- control by moving the shifter left from D

Q6. Does this mean that the standard auto gearbox allows manual up and down shifting of gears in a sequential mode?
Yes as above

Q8. Do comfort seats also include lumbar support and heated seats?

Q9. Why is the Child ISOFIX a no cost option (i.e. why not have it as standard)? Does it mean that most cars won’t have this as people who not requested it?

Questions about the standard options:

Q10. What is the Brake Fade Compensation?

The rear lights have two segments, the outer ones come on all the time, the inner ones as well when you're braking harder

It's the triangle I alluded to in Q3

A14. It holds the brakes for a 1 when on a hill to stop it rolling back.

Q15. What is Soft Stop and how does it work?

Q16. What’s in the M aerodynamic package?

Seat, mirrors & wheel positions, stored radio stations and some others

Additional questions:

Q19. What kind of MPG can the 535d expect if you’re taking it easy on the motorway (e.g. cruising around 60mph)?

We saw 38 mpg on a 25 mile mixed traffic A road journey yesterday. Tomorrow I'm doing a 104 mile round trip on A road (50 limit mostly) and the A12 (cruise will be set to 70).

Q20. What kind of MPG can the 535d expect around city if you are driving it very economically?

Well under 20! We saw 14 yesterday driving through town in traffic.

Q21. Where's the best place to find 5 series that are fully loaded with optional extras (autotrader seems to have mostly standard cars and/or the ones with optional extras are hard to find)?

www.bmw.co.uk

Also see this: http://www.e60.net/information/2006_..._Manual_UK.pdf
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by _Tim_' post='550103' date='Mar 24 2008, 08:54 PM
My wife and I collected our 10/2004 535d M Sport on Saturday, so I'll attempt to answer some of your questions! My answers in BOLD.

Also see this: http://www.e60.net/information/2006_..._Manual_UK.pdf
Thank you for that, is there a 2007 or 2008 version?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Hi Techno79, I can answer a couple more of your Q's

Q7- Dynamic driveActive anti-roll bars, use sensors and hydrolics to control the roll bars, similar to what Landrover put on the Discovery.

Q8- Yes to lumbar support, No to seat heat.

Q11- Brake force uses 2 degrees of lighting. When breaking lightly only one bulb used, heavy breaking, additional lighting used. ( Whether other road users know the difference, who knows!!)

Q16- same as the M-Sport model.

Q17- Seperate heating controls for driver and passenger, Rear centre temp controls, automatic air recirculation. Also includes front sliding arm rest, and high OBC; Speed limit and timer function.

Hope this helps. I'm like you. I look into every detail possible when spending this kind of money.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='549606' date='Mar 23 2008, 09:55 PM
I’ve been considering getting a 5 series for many months now. Initially I was fixed on the 520d M Sport but I have now started to consider all of the diesel M Sport models. I have a huge amount of questions which I can’t seem to find the answers to (tried google and searching on this website). Could someone please answer as many of them as possible. I’ve think I know some of the answers but I may be wrong so I’m going to answer my own questions where I know but happy to be corrected or information can be added as appropriate.

All models I refer to are about 2nd hand diesel M Sports (3 years or newer).

A1. 520d has standard air conditioning where the others have the extended features version. Also, the 535d has lane departure warning and auto gear box, where as the others don’t. Apart from this, they have the same standard options.

This is 100% country dependant. In most countries the 520/525/530 models have identical standard options, and the 530+ models come with more standard options. Just download the PDF brochures from your local BMW website, they should have a matrix which compares all the standard options.

current mpg is a seperate meter (under RPM). Average MPG (trip, long term) can be displayed on the OBC display or on the i-drive display.

Yes, and also on the central TFT

I don't think so, but the center console is cooled if you have the extended A/C (and there's something with the USB option that takes it away again, search for it)

Check Rudy's article on the SAT.
If you want an auto, I'd always take the SAT as it's faster and nicer and the additional cost is marginal

Yes, but not on the steering wheel

Active roll stabilizers, to minimize roll when cornering.

2 bulbs for brake lights on each side: More light when you brake harder. See BMW site animation on the 5-series

I think it's functionality that actively pushes the brake disks every now and then (just touching the surface, you won't notice) to minimize brake reaction time and to keep the discs dry when driving in the rain.

This is how the Germans call it when your light module can detect broken bulbs and other malfunctions. Some people just call it the onboard computer, I think you called it OBC.

When the brake is released and you don't touch the gas yet, the car stands still for 1 or 2 seconds before it rolls downhill.

L/R seperated, solar sensor, auto recirculation & rest heat function. I don't have it myself as I did not think the 1700 euro price was justified. The standard climate control works very well, always in auto and I'm very happy with it. Note that the older models did not have full climate control with the standard A/C, the LCI always does.

Almost everything:
- i-drive settings
- (memory)seat positions etc
- the service info (even in much more detail than i-drive tells you)
- to the amount of fuel left in your tank etc etc
It can be read by a transponder-reader at the dealership.

Additional questions:

Last thing I'd like to say: For me the 520d has really been a very good choice, I'm so happy with it and it's absolutely not underpowered. And for me the LCI brings enough advantages that I would easily choose a new 520d over a 1 year old non-LCI 525d. Now a 535d is a different story.....

P.S. If you update your location info, the "standard options" question can be answered better. I assume you're in the UK as you mentioned a strange, old-fashioned currency (pounds?) so one of the standard options in your country will be the funny steering wheel position...

Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the help with the previous questions, unfortunately I've got a ton of new ones. Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks in advance:

Most of these questions refer to the 535d model year of around 2005.

1. What year did stop and go active cruise option become available?
2. What year did stop/start button become available?
3. Do the optional extra 19" 172 wheels come with RFT?
4. What year did usb interface on audio come out?
5. Is adaptive lighting, worth the money?
6. Did standard cruise have brake feature in 2005 models?
7. Does the Sat Nav disc take up one of the slots on the 6 CD changer? Can an Audio CD be played at the same time as Sat Nav is used?
8. Do side mirrors dip when reversing as a standard option on 2005 model? Or is this only with an optional extra?
9. With an Auto gear box, if I'm in MS mode, how do you then go back into DS mode? The scenarios is that you are in DS mode and then manually intervene but selecting a few gears but then want to go back into DS mode as you no longer want to be in manual mode>
10. Anyone know how much it will cost for a new key for the car?
11. Car/key memory is a standard option where as elec seat with driver memory is an optional extra. Can anyone explain the differences between all the different memories?
12. Is there an option for an audible speed limiter warning? i.e. to make a sound when going over 60mph?
13. What functionality can be done via remote with standard car? Eg boot open? Windows open/close?
14. Can anyone tell me the compatibility of car's Bluetooth with a HTC TyTn 2 phone (Windows Mobile 6 phone that has been re-badged under different names e.g. T-Mobile MDA Vario 3)?
15. I've got Microsoft Voice Command on my phone, does anyone know how this integrates with the voice control of the car?
16. How does the car work with multiple phones eg partners phone. What happens if both are in the car?
17. Can the car alarm be triggered in an emergency e.g. under duress alarm? Can this be done from the remote and/or inside car?
18. Can you remotely turn on your headlights or hazard lights (to help find the car in a car park)?
19. Is the cd changer in the front panel or is it a boot changer?
20. Comfort seats cannot be specified with electric seat option. Does this mean it includes full electric adjustment and does it also have driver memory feature?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Help with E60 jargon and features