E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with a decision to buy a 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='867412' date='May 4 2009, 12:47 AM
I don't think word "reliability" is appropriate in this case. I would ask - how expensive it will be to keep this car going and the answer is - extremely expensive the moment the CPO warranty runs out and even before that. Some people say that CPO covers major componets and it is true, but even a minor components are unbelivably expensive. Budget around $1K per month. Basically speaking it does not make much sense to get V8 5-series for $20K. For $20K you should look at new Subary Impreza or lease a brand new 550 for less tham monthly upkeep of a 5 year old 545.

If you needed to budget 1K a month to maintain/repair issues none of us would own a BMW and they would rank in the neighborhood of the worse car to own. Heck at that point we should get a Ferrari if we don't mind dropping 6K to 12K a year on maintenance/repairs.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='868131' date='May 4 2009, 08:27 PM
If you needed to budget 1K a month to maintain/repair issues none of us would own a BMW and they would rank in the neighborhood of the worse car to own. Heck at that point we should get a Ferrari if we don't mind dropping 6K to 12K a year on maintenance/repairs.
+1

Nobody spends $12k a year in repairs and maintenace... my wild ass guess would be $2k-3K year which is high becaue of the SMG trans

You have a year to gauge how well the car runs, my "new car" warranty is about to run out, CPO will kick in, and my car runs perfectly. It drives, rides, corners, and accelerates etc great. And everything works...

If the car gives you a lot of trouble, dump it after year. If it serves you well, put a few grand aside just in case and enjoy... These are really nice cars.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by mbags' post='866878' date='May 3 2009, 01:38 PM
I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 2004 545i SMG. The car has 40,300 miles and the CPO warranty is up April 2010. It also comes with the maintenance warranty that is good for 100K miles.
The dealer was asking $26K and brought it down to $23K. I offered $21.9K and he agreed.

I would like to know anyones thoughts on if it is a good buy. Should I worry that it only has one year left on the warranty? Is the maintenance warranty any good? I imagine it will run out the same time the CPO warranty runs out...

Any issues with the SMG transmission?

Again, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

MB
Please pardon my verbose post. Force of habit.

Search the internet and this site for threads on extended warranties. For a few thousand dollars, you may find a good reliable company that will cover repairs for up to 6 or 7 years with a comprehensive policy that covers all repairs, excluding scheduled maintenance and repairs specifically disallowed in the written policy.

Reading a sample of the actual wording of the contract before you sign is a must? the devil is in the details.

Ask your trusted dealer or independent mechanic for the names of a few companies they like to work with because your mechanic or dealer may be the person on the telephone with the company advocating approval of your claim. Sometimes companies will honor a dealer?s request to cover a claim because they trust the dealer or want that dealer to continue writing contracts for them.

Although a dealer offers you a policy from a company for $3,000.00, you can get the same policy directly from the company over the telephone and save $500.00.

Make sure the company is backed by an insurance company that will cover policies if the company goes into financial distress. State regulating agencies may help you determine which companies have adequate financial support. (Better Business Bureau, A.M. Best?, etc. )

Since car sales are down and times are bad, some companies will allow you to pay for your policy with 12 monthly payments at 0% interest. This makes expensive polices more affordable to those on a budget. And if you have legitimate problems, you may be able to justify cancelling the payment plan with credit card protection policy support.

You can save hundreds my adding a deductible, but I?ve found that your savings evaporate after a few claims.

Consider the company extended warranty policy as a vehicle service contract. The company will only fix what they agreed to cover in writing. In most cases it covers the really expensive things like engines and transmissions. But depending on the wording of the contract, I-drive may not be covered. Some people prefer exclusionary contracts that specify exactly the items not covered. But the terminology used by the industry is as shifty as a snake oil salesman, so carefully read the contract. Don?t rely on verbal representations.

Presently, I have a 7 year vehicle service contract purchased 7 months ago for $2,495.00 with no deductible and 0 % interest payments of $187.13 per month/12 months deducted from a no interest credit card. So far, no problems. If I never file a claim, I will still consider myself as one of the lucky ones because the service contract would have done it?s job ? risk protection. With our cars you can predict a $1.5 K brake job, not a 15K+ engine replacement.

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='867412' date='May 3 2009, 11:47 PM
Budget around $1K per month... Basically speaking it does not make much sense to get V8 5-series for $20K. For $20K you should...lease a brand new 550 for less tham monthly upkeep of a 5 year old 545.
What data are you using to substantiate these claims?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='867412' date='May 4 2009, 12:47 AM
Budget around $1K per month. Basically speaking it does not make much sense to get V8 5-series for $20K. For $20K you should look at new Subary Impreza or lease a brand new 550 for less tham monthly upkeep of a 5 year old 545.

This is the most rediculous thing I have ever read. Bad advice. A lease of $1k/ month over three years would cost $36,000. $24k for two. You really think a BMW of any model costs that much to maintain? This doesn't deserve any more thought. :thumbsdown:

OP: Ask to review the CPO checklist with the service manager and your sales guy. The price is right. Make sure you check the carfax and other important info. If the sales guy came down easily, just make sure they are not tryng to unload it. Good luck to you!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='868300' date='May 4 2009, 10:56 PM
This is the most rediculous thing I have ever read. Bad advice. A lease of $1k/ month over three years would cost $36,000. $24k for two. You really think a BMW of any model costs that much to maintain? This doesn't deserve any more thought. :thumbsdown:

OP: Ask to review the CPO checklist with the service manager and your sales guy. The price is right. Make sure you check the carfax and other important info. If the sales guy came down easily, just make sure they are not tryng to unload it. Good luck to you!

Well, it is a V8 in a time when people are trying to save gas money, so it's possible they're trying to get rid of it because of that. Just saying, it might not always be a bad thing.