E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Battery Died, Now Steering Malfunction Stays On??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 545I w/ sport pkg. I left my trunk open over night and it drained my battery. After I jumped it, my active steering light came on and wont go away. Driving straight, The center of the steering wheel is at like 10 o'clock, and the turn signals don't automatically turn off. I have tried to reset it by tuning the wheel lock to lock, and my P.S. fluid is okay. Has anyone had this issue from a dead battery? Also, a week earlier I replaced my front tires with old run flat's I had on the car before i ditched them (figured I would use them). Wondering if this may have caused something?

I'm leaving town for a week and thought about disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset anything? I have searched the forum but haven't found a definite solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by grd1003' post='994248' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:17 PM
I have a 2004 545I w/ sport pkg. I left my trunk open over night and it drained my battery. After I jumped it, my active steering light came on and wont go away. Driving straight, The center of the steering wheel is at like 10 o'clock, and the turn signals don't automatically turn off. I have tried to reset it by tuning the wheel lock to lock, and my P.S. fluid is okay. Has anyone had this issue from a dead battery? Also, a week earlier I replaced my front tires with old run flat's I had on the car before i ditched them (figured I would use them). Wondering if this may have caused something?

I'm leaving town for a week and thought about disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset anything? I have searched the forum but haven't found a definite solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I doubt your tire replacement complicated the battery problem. If you're going away for a week connect a trickle charger to your battery. Low battery voltage is not tolerated by our cars. After you return, and with the battery at full charge, try the active steering reset again and see if your other electric maladies are cured.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Members

Let us know what the fix was.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Members

This happend to me a few months back.. I replaced my battery and the Active Steering Malfunction wouldn't go away.. Read in the owner's manual about how to reset the active steering (something about turning the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, back to center, turn the car off then back on again).. it worked for some, but didnt work for me. I ended up taking it to a shop to have the codes cleared. Once he did it, I never saw it pop up again..
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Members

Arrow

Ended up being a IBS Sensor first at the stealer for me. SA said we will try to fix it with this IBS first. Ended up getting the labor thrown in when I took the car back with same dynamic drive malfunction! the car would go into a lock out mode stopped at a light often!
I talked to shop foreman and he threw in the labor cost of putting sensor in the car. He did say that they will not guess on fixing my car. Got a sweet new x5 loaner out of the deal for a few days. thing is a beast!!

They came back and said it was alternator! the part was $500 and the labor was bout 200 or so. Car runs really great now!

That is the stealer for you!

Anyone know of better/reasonably priced family mechanic in north atlanta /north fulton GA area?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by grd1003' post='994248' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:17 PM

btw, leaving the trunk open overnight doesn't drain your battery, the light turns off after 16 minutes when the car goes to sleep. I do this nightly to air the trunk out in my garage, so I know that's not the cause of your problem. same goes for all interior lights.