E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help - Auto box pregnant pause is driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Does anyone else have this problem? I have a 535d (not remapped - yet). If I almost come to a full stop and the car is just rolling, I press the gas (gently) and nothing really happens. Press a little more and the gearbox seems to have finally decided which cog to select and the car's off, but with a real thump in the back. It's really getting on my nerves now and spoiling the car when I'm in traffic. It doesn't matter whether It's in D or DS sport mode it's still the same even when I briefly come to a full stop and try to get away too quickly - a pregnant pause then a thump from the transmission.

The dealer's only solution is to reprogram the gearbox, which has made no difference, so now they're stumped!

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

My 535d (E61, 4/05) has similar hesitation, but without the thumping. Thank God. Some slam in D when stopping, as 1st gear is engaged at the wrong moment. But not in DS.

Do you have the same problem in M mode? If so, it may be something mechanical, rather than electronical. Other than that, I'm more stumped than your dealer. Sorry.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by den535d' post='361220' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:25 PM
There have been software updates over time. You don't tell us about the vintage of your 535d.

If its brand new then obviously that's not it.

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

It's been written about many times and many people suffer the same fate. I heard that Progman 23.01 addressed this somewhat, but then I have no confirmation it is resolved! Seems the ZF gearbox in the E60 and Jaguar suffer the problem. More noticable on the bigger Diesels!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ansmission+slam
Old 11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Members

I find mine is dangerous in D mode, even with recent software, a pause when overtaking or pulling out could be disasterous. I always put mine in DS mode when I want the car to go when I press the peddle. This works for me, but I still find it irritating that the gearbox has such a delay.
If the dealer can replicate your problem I'd insist they keep it for safety reasons until they fix it, & insist on a loan car while they do..
Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='361389' date='Nov 28 2006, 07:58 AM
It's been written about many times and many people suffer the same fate. I heard that Progman 23.01 addressed this somewhat, but then I have no confirmation it is resolved! Seems the ZF gearbox in the E60 and Jaguar suffer the problem. More noticable on the bigger Diesels!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ansmission+slam
I have 23.02 (previously 18) and it does seem better! Gear shifts seem smoother, both ways and nothing 'lumpy' so far.

It seems to shift up a little earlier and stay in gear longer before downshifting if you're taking it steady... Suits the available torque better. Haven't noticed the 'wandering revs' problem since.

However, I have lost my eyebrows and side LEDs! :thumbsdown:
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Does anyone else have this problem? I have a 535d (not remapped - yet). If I almost come to a full stop and the car is just rolling, I press the gas (gently) and nothing really happens. Press a little more and the gearbox seems to have finally decided which cog to select and the car's off, but with a real thump in the back. It's really getting on my nerves now and spoiling the car when I'm in traffic. It doesn't matter whether It's in D or DS sport mode it's still the same even when I briefly come to a full stop and try to get away too quickly - a pregnant pause then a thump from the transmission.

The dealer's only solution is to reprogram the gearbox, which has made no difference, so now they're stumped!

Welcome to the "BMW diesel will I .... won't I.... engage gear club!!" It's not an exclusive one, except this issue appears to be endemic in the 3Litre diesel models.

Some owners I know have a problem with it, others don't seem bothered by it. I'm sure all have the problem to greater or lessor extent. I have an ongoing 'dialogue' with BMW on this issue (amongst other related transmission problems) as I think the delays can create hazardous driving situations in 'normal' low speed situations e.g. entering and transiting roundabouts, turning out of T junctions etc. The probelm has been described to me as complex - what a surprise! I've been informed that the delay is in part there to protect the transmission from the turbo power/torque delivery style of the diesel engine, add in the 'stupidness' of the adaptive program and there's a recipe for havoc in the gear selection department! (There's some suggestion that the fill rates of the fluid clutches are not all they should be on my 06/530D, I've seen the read outs from the testing and from other examples too, mine seem high, this maybe a related issue or not who knows presently, someone will eventually tell me I guess....)

My threepence worth here - suggest you contact BMWUK and push them very hard; the more owners who get on there case the more chance they'll give it some priority, after all they've had several years to get this right to-date - I suggest this as in my experience your dealer is unlikely to be briefed up to solve this alone. IMHO they (dealers) appear to struggle with these type of problems, BMW it seems are less than helpful/capable in supplying the information backup required so as the dealer themselves can analyse the information from the test equipment they have - somewhat generic and harsh an opinion maybe, I could and maybe proved wrong, however todate my experience suggest this.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Sorry about the lateness of my response, but I've been away for a couple of days. Thanks for your replies. It looks like it's a put up with it situation until BMW are pushed enough to do something about it (and I have pushed quite a bit). As you say Hawkwing, dealers are not equipped either mentally or physically to cope with these types of problems. I've been given various explantaions/excuses as to why it's doing what it does, but I'm sure it's just to avoid doing some difficult detective work.

All in all I'm not sure I want to have the car off the road for God knows how long anyway. BTW it's a 05/05 model but the last s/ware update was about three months ago. I don't know what version, but I've still got the eyebrows!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I have a week 10/06 built 535d and I get it too.

The diesels pull from lower revs than a petrol so it seems to take longer to "fill the clutches" (or whatever goes on inside) at the revs diesels use. The S type petrols had (have?) loads of problems too so it is not just this.

The software is now as good as it is going to get IMO,

I don't like it but I've learned to live with it, I wait on part throttle until the drive bites before stepping on it. If you nail it too soon, the snatch as the car takes off is tremendous and you will never convince me that it is 'protecting the transmission' , quite the opposite as you will appreciate yourself.

Everything else about the box works fine, and I have never had any jolts from the 2 > 1 downchange that others have complained about.

This was a duff gearbox design without doubt, and the diesel characteristics seem to lean heavily on the weakness. The new e90 models have a new gearbox, ZF have advertised it directly in the UK press, stressing its rapid reaction times. Guilty conscience or what
The e60 facelift will have the new box I'm sure.

Getting BMW to do anything about the old one now I believe to be hiding to nothing. Its not right I know, but unfortunately life (especially corporate life) isn't fair. :thumbsdown:
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by blingo' post='362114' date='Nov 30 2006, 01:41 PM
I have a week 10/06 built 535d and I get it too.

Getting BMW to do anything about the old one now I believe to be hiding to nothing. Its not right I know, but unfortunately life (especially corporate life) isn't fair.

I suspect your right here - there is a likley issue of design/type limitation with the current set-up - I'll keep pursuing until the situation can be improved, or I'm tired of running into brick walls I guess .......

One hopes BMW solve the situation with improvements/new design - I would not wish this nuisance problem on the US market if they're to market diesels there is 2008 - no doubt they'll likely have the new transmission 'sorted' by then?

Quick Reply: Help - Auto box pregnant pause is driving me nuts!