E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M-Sport, Carbon Black Metallic/Natural Brown

Yesterday I was driving back to NYC from visiting my folks in MD (200 mile highway trip). I have a 2009 535i w/ sport package. It's got about 3k miles on it.

Everything was going swimmingly (and I was even pushing 28.7mpg) and then about 100 miles into the trip, the car starts to hesitate. Not exactly a massive loss of power, but definitely the engine was in some way misfiring. Jerky acceleration, not smooth at all. Not stalling or anything and no warning lights at all on the dash. Difficult to explain, but when no throttle at 70mph you couldn't tell. But if you even gave a little throttle to get to say 75, the car would shudder as if the engine was missing or misfiring.

Threw it into neutral while on the highway and revved the engine around to see if that would do anything. Popped it back into drive, same problem.

Had a quarter tank left. Stopped at a gas station, turned the car off, pulled the key. Let it sit while refueling, started it back up and it seemed fine.

What gives? Will this happen again? I've noticed in the past that it would idle rough for a few seconds and then equalize. I had a Z4 2.5 and the coils had to be replaced, but in that instance the car just lost all power.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

T.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I've never had your problem, and for the first 6 months I owned my 5er I drove on German A-bahns routinely at over 100mph.

Just curious, when you start the car in the morning, does it take a couple of seconds to turn over?

These motors do have history of defective fuel pumps. Mine was replaced due to the starting issue. No matter what, I'd bring it in to the dealer.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='987375' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:10 PM
I've never had your problem, and for the first 6 months I owned my 5er I drove on German A-bahns routinely at over 100mph.

Just curious, when you start the car in the morning, does it take a couple of seconds to turn over?

These motors do have history of defective fuel pumps. Mine was replaced due to the starting issue. No matter what, I'd bring it in to the dealer.

Actually, for the past month or so, it seemed to take quite a bit of cranking to get started. Not the usual .5/1 second. So you think I should take it into the dealer now (my thought here is the annoying situation of them not being able to recreate the situation and then saying there's nothing wrong with it) or wait until it happens again? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

You are another of many victim of HPFP problems.. I'd call the dealer right away for an appointment.
Good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='987500' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:43 PM
You are another of many victim of HPFP problems.. I'd call the dealer right away for an appointment.
Good luck.
Thanks. Oh boy, okay, I think I'll call the dealer. I really really hope there is a discrete test they can do to realize it is faulty and I don't have to go through a process of "we can't recreate it, everything seems fine" . . .

Lastly, I assume they will replace the fuel pump. From anyone who has had this done, does it take very long (e.g., assuming I can get a timely appointment, will the car be out of my hands for very long?). Thanks again for the invaluable feedback!

T.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

I personally don't know how long it will take, but I would ask for a loaner incase it may take a few days.
Based on the symptons you decribed I strongly feel that it is a HPFP issue. Perhaps call your dealer and tell them what you told us and see how they want to handle it?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by pininfarina' post='987366' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:02 PM
Yesterday I was driving back to NYC from visiting my folks in MD (200 mile highway trip). I have a 2009 535i w/ sport package. It's got about 3k miles on it.

Everything was going swimmingly (and I was even pushing 28.7mpg) and then about 100 miles into the trip, the car starts to hesitate. Not exactly a massive loss of power, but definitely the engine was in some way misfiring. Jerky acceleration, not smooth at all. Not stalling or anything and no warning lights at all on the dash. Difficult to explain, but when no throttle at 70mph you couldn't tell. But if you even gave a little throttle to get to say 75, the car would shudder as if the engine was missing or misfiring.

Threw it into neutral while on the highway and revved the engine around to see if that would do anything. Popped it back into drive, same problem.

Had a quarter tank left. Stopped at a gas station, turned the car off, pulled the key. Let it sit while refueling, started it back up and it seemed fine.

What gives? Will this happen again? I've noticed in the past that it would idle rough for a few seconds and then equalize. I had a Z4 2.5 and the coils had to be replaced, but in that instance the car just lost all power.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

T.
I experienced a similar problem on a European GM model a few years ago.The high pressure fuel pump was at fault,the fault codes in the diagnostics identified the problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

HPFP for sure!

Go into the BMW of Manhattan and tell them that you're a well-read and respected member of the boards (ok, lie a little ) and tell them that you're well aware of the HPFP issue and that you're prepared to help them argue your case to BMW NA, if necessary. Make sure they understand you're not fvcking with them and that you are seriously intending to rampage some a$$holes if they don't have it fixed. They are really not supposed to fix the HPFP on the first try, unless you REALLY push them - they usually fix 3-4 other items first. But BMW of Manhattan (unlike any other in our area) are actually owned by BMW, so they won't try to get as much $$ out of a repair as possible just to milk it. Which means they are most likely to get to the bottom of the problem. Also means that their mechanics are most qualified. I've had a few different issues fixed there under warranty and I've always had nothing but good experiences. The service might not be great - they didn't really keep in touch, nor explain much of anything, but when I questioned the SAs, they always answered, were always on point. The only gripe - if I have any - is the fact that they didn't call me every day with updates, but rather just had the car ready on the date they promised EVERY TIME. And still I had to call to confirm myself each time - but a SMALL price to pay for competent work.

By comparison, my friend has a 535 and he took it to Life Quality BMW Service 4 times before they fixed the HPFP - they milked his Bimmer for all the money they could've possibly gotten from BMW - fixed all possible things EXCEPT the HPFP, regardless of the internal bulletin... they're criminals over there - they even tried to charge my friend for warranty work that was already paid for by BMW... my point is - BMW of Manhattan.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Contributors

a known side affect for the n54 engines is the high pressure fuel pump. There is actually a recall on them. You will usually get long cranks on cold starts, misfires, shuddering or shaking of vehicle, and or engine malfuntion (limp mode). The problems will increase when you have less than half a tank of fuel left. COntact your local dealership and take her in. The HPFPs are covered under warranty. Good luck and I hope this helped.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Yes, it does sound like your high pressure fuel pump -- the achilles heel of 535s -- is the problem. Your ride does need immediate dealer attention. GL bro.