E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - 535xi factory downpipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi, VRSF 5" FMIC and ChargePipe, TurboSmart Raceport BOV, BMS DCI, MHD Stage 1+. XHP Stage 3,H&R Sport Springs
Default Help - 535xi factory downpipe removal

Hello all,

First post on the forum, got my 535xi earlier in the year and have so far installed FMIC, Charge w/ BOV, DCI, H&R Springs etc. This is the first car I've done any of my own work on and as such has been a learning experience.

As soon as the 535xi downpipes were released from VRSF I purchased. So far I have my car up on four jack stands with the 02 sensors and exhaust side brackets of the downpipes completely removed. Downpipe on driver side is removed from it's bracket and it would be nice to pull it so I can get to the second downpipes bracket bolt. As a side note, plastic engine cover is off as well as the metal tray underneath it.

Right now I am trying to determine how to get the downpipe off the turbo vclamp with absolutely 0 results. I cannot determine what needs to be removed and I cannot visually locate where those clamps are. Unlike the tutorials I've watched/read (pretty much all of them for 1 and 3s) I can't access them, and I can't locate steering rack bolts either.

I'm thinking I need to remove the subframe or at least drop it but I have no way of knowing if that will grant the needed access.

My question for the forum, is:

if anybody has ever done one of these installs on a E60 with xDrive and how on earth they got access to the turbos.

There are 0 535i DIYs and even less chatter on the forums on how somebody might have installed on the xDrive platform.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rabotnick; 08-05-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, 2011 328xi

I'm pretty sure you have to drop the sub frame on the xi.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by eaton18
yep. pulling the axle as well I think.

I do all my own work. Not this - I took it into the svc dept and had them do it for me at $500
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi, VRSF 5" FMIC and ChargePipe, TurboSmart Raceport BOV, BMS DCI, MHD Stage 1+. XHP Stage 3,H&R Sport Springs

I figured as much. Purchased an engine support beam. Now from what I can tell, the only mounting point to hold the engine at is the thread near the oil cooler where you can attach a mounting point from when the engine cover is off... if anyone can verify this.

A tad bit nervous about the whole process but it's what must be done.

Originally Posted by eaton18
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by rabotnick
I figured as much. Purchased an engine support beam. Now from what I can tell, the only mounting point to hold the engine at is the thread near the oil cooler where you can attach a mounting point from when the engine cover is off... if anyone can verify this.

A tad bit nervous about the whole process but it's what must be done.
That is the correct mounting point - screw the tow hook into that
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 PM
Members

If you want to talk through this procedure with me I'll be happy to but it would take me forever to type it out on my phone so I propose a deal:. Call me and I'll talk you through it and answer any questions you have then you write it up and take pics as you go �� deal? 310.767.6659