E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP!! 530i 2004 simple paint caliper gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys i was going to do a smiple paint caliper to my car i took out all the luggs and jacked up my car. then the car fell sideways with one tire off, the drivers side but the passengers side still has the tire but in an angle. but the driver side my car is sitting on its axl. my neighbor helped me out and jacked up the car back with a floorjack, becuz i used the jack that came with the car and the plastic under the car came off. i got the tires back and didnt even bother painting it. i was just wondering if i broke anything, like the axl or the bar holding the axl did any damage under the car, etc. thanks.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Only a trained BMW mechanic (and they are hard to come by sometimes) will know if you broke something. I guess you'll find out when you drive it...if it's pulling to one side, vibrating, etc. If the car fell off the jack, something had to be damaged.....to what extent, who knows? Coincidentally, I changed out my summer wheels/tires today for my winters and was thinking at the time, "How bad would it suck if my car fell of the jack? I wonder what kind of damage I'd get?"

I have a professional grade floorjack, however, so I wasn't really worried. So, get yourself a real jack and jack stands next time! And be careful
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

wow! hope you are ok. also, it's not a good idea to use that bmw jack at all. much too flimsy. i suggest you get a floor jack for your own safety.
more than likely, no real damage happened to the car but i would have a mechanic look at it anyway. good luck on your project
Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Members

thanks guys for all your fast replys and yes i will go and have it checked out. and i will forsure get a floorjack
Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bobr2001' post='495811' date='Nov 17 2007, 09:28 PM
wow! hope you are ok. also, it's not a good idea to use that bmw jack at all. much too flimsy. i suggest you get a floor jack for your own safety.
more than likely, no real damage happened to the car but i would have a mechanic look at it anyway. good luck on your project
im okay. i was close though of getting my legs stuck wen the car fell.... that would of SUCK! CRAP!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by yahmegaman' post='495804' date='Nov 17 2007, 11:52 PM
ok guys i was going to do a smiple paint caliper to my car i took out all the luggs and jacked up my car. then the car fell sideways with one tire off, the drivers side but the passengers side still has the tire but in an angle. but the driver side my car is sitting on its axl. my neighbor helped me out and jacked up the car back with a floorjack, becuz i used the jack that came with the car and the plastic under the car came off. i got the tires back and didnt even bother painting it. i was just wondering if i broke anything, like the axl or the bar holding the axl did any damage under the car, etc. thanks.
Wow, that's scary.

Just wondering, how did your car fall off the BMW jack? Did you use the wedge? Was your car on an incline?

I'm planning to change to winter tires using the BMW jack.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by joewatch' post='495901' date='Nov 18 2007, 10:59 AM
Wow, that's scary.

Just wondering, how did your car fall off the BMW jack? Did you use the wedge? Was your car on an incline?

I'm planning to change to winter tires using the BMW jack.
I never use the OEM jacks on cars, unless there's no other option. They are flimsy and typically should only be used in emergencies, like flat tires while on the road. I would not use it for changing out your wheels for the winter. Spend a few bucks on a good floor jack. Not only is it safer, but it's much easier!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='495808' date='Nov 18 2007, 12:15 AM
Only a trained BMW mechanic (and they are hard to come by sometimes) will know if you broke something. I guess you'll find out when you drive it...if it's pulling to one side, vibrating, etc. If the car fell off the jack, something had to be damaged.....to what extent, who knows? Coincidentally, I changed out my summer wheels/tires today for my winters and was thinking at the time, "How bad would it suck if my car fell of the jack? I wonder what kind of damage I'd get?"

I have a professional grade floorjack, however, so I wasn't really worried. So, get yourself a real jack and jack stands next time! And be careful
Oops. Only a trained physician will know if you broke something!
Be careful out there guys!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Glad you're okay and hope your car didn't sustain any serious damage. I've used OEM supplied jacks on all my cars with no mishaps (knock on wood). I do pay attention to how the jack is seated on the jack point of the respective car and sometimes I'll use a small scrap of wood on the base of the jack for better stabliity as opposed to a slippery concrete garage floor. I chock both the front and back edge of the opposing diagonal tire and also use a jack stand when the tire is off for a prolonged period.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='495990' date='Nov 18 2007, 02:40 PM
I never use the OEM jacks on cars, unless there's no other option. They are flimsy and typically should only be used in emergencies, like flat tires while on the road. I would not use it for changing out your wheels for the winter. Spend a few bucks on a good floor jack. Not only is it safer, but it's much easier!

Okay, I'm going to get a floor jack then. But I believe that you should not use the floor jack on the jack points since this will crack the plastic casing. Where do you apply the floor jack?

Quick Reply: HELP!! 530i 2004 simple paint caliper gone wrong