E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with 08 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
Just a little background. I bought an 08 550i CPO last year december. Since picking up the car I have had the following problems:
1. steering wheel vibrating( rims were bent). Fixed and still vibrating slightly.
2. Acceleration was crazy( step on the gas and car goes no where, then all of a sudden it jumps and starts flying down the road) Taken to dealer multiple times and every time the car came back the same way. Dealer says that they did a software update each time.
3. Car overheating (towed to dealer and radiator fan was changed)
4. Check engine light ( would come on every now and then) requires restart of car).
5. Taken in for rough idling. (multiple times). First time around they changed the MAF sensor. Second they claim they did some engine work not exactly sure what they did. Picked up car and it still has the rough idle. The car was at the dealer for about a week.

I have contacted BMWNA and they say that given the history of the car they will not be able to buy back the car. :thumbsdown:
They state that I should contact the dealer that I bought the car from. I contacted them and they tell me to bring in the car. Keep in mind I live in NY and I bought the car from Pennsylvania. I have become fed up with going back and forth with the dealer and BMWNA. What should I do.
It seems that every single day there is something new wrong with the car. I explained to BMWNA that I shouldn't be paying for a car that they have more than I do. Since picking up the car I have taken it to the dealer well over 15 times for all the listed problems.

Please give me some advice as to what I should do.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Members

First, bring it to another dealer to fix issues.
Secondly, if I were in your shoe, I would sell the car now and cut my losses.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Members

I went to two dealers the first was Hassel and then Manhattan. I took the car originally to hassel because it was on my way to work. I took it to Manhattan because I was in the city when the car started to overheat. Manhattan said they can't touch the car for the other things that I complained about because hassel has already started to do the work on the car. I am really starting to think about selling it. I mean I love the car but I don't want to deal with a car that is in constant need of repairs. That is one of the main reasons why I stayed away from the 535 in the first place. Not saying the 535 is a bad car but I didn't want the problems of the HPFP on my head and now I am having so much problems with this one which is supposed to be rock solid.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Talk to the dealer you bought it from, and negotiate a trade for another 550 or m5, if they stand to make a little more $$$, they may be more likely to give you a way out of this $$$ pit which you are currently situated.
Properly maintained 550i's have been know to go at least 60k miles before component failures occur, but location and conditions do vary.

If all else fails, its free to list it for sale here: https://5series.net/forums/forum/35-complete-car-sales/
Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Talk to the dealer you bought it from, and negotiate a trade for another 550 or m5, if they stand to make a little more $$$, they may be more likely to give you a way out of this $$$ pit which you are currently situated.
Properly maintained 550i's have been know to go at least 60k miles before component failures occur, but location and conditions do vary.

If all else fails, its free to list it for sale here: https://5series.net/forums/forum/35-complete-car-sales/
Thanks for the info. I was looking at getting an M5 but it will be a daily driver and I don't know how much of a daily driver an M5 would be. I know my current E90 M3 really drinks that gas away. A 550i in my eyes is not supposed to give any problems. The car only has a little over 23000 miles. I will talk to my dealer and try to negotiate a deal again.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 2005 Model. Full spec so happy with as is.(for the moment!)

Sorry to hear you are having problems..Sounds like a lemon !!!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Boy.... with the service history you just wrote about I'd get rid of it ASAP. Hopefully the dealer in which you bought the car from will buy it back or at the very least do something for you.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Boy.... with the service history you just wrote about I'd get rid of it ASAP. Hopefully the dealer in which you bought the car from will buy it back or at the very least do something for you.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545 Guy
Sorry to hear you are having problems..Sounds like a lemon !!!
That is exactly what I told BMWNA and they said that the car is 3 yrs old how is it a lemon now.
They claim the service history doesn't show past events for the same problems so they will not buy back the car. I guess you have to waste a whole year running back and forth to the dealer every week before BMW decides to buy back you car? :thumbsdown:
Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1SIKBMR
That is exactly what I told BMWNA and they said that the car is 3 yrs old how is it a lemon now.
They claim the service history doesn't show past events for the same problems so they will not buy back the car. I guess you have to waste a whole year running back and forth to the dealer every week before BMW decides to buy back you car? :thumbsdown:

We're talking about a business here, Lemon laws (varies) but generally only apply to original owners, and unless they take too long, or try tooo many times to fix the "same" problem, its absolutely going to be an ugly battle to get the dealer to cover your repair expenses. The m5's average mpg is far from economical, but depending on how you look at it, m5's are sooooo cheap these days, considering thier original msrp prices. Surely the v10's will be missed as bmw has taken thier focus to building "greener" vehicles utilizing less cylinders, and implementing turbo technology, and alternate fuels... surely you can't deny the joys that a 500hp high reving beast would bring to your daily driving experience? Your concerns are not so much that you may possibly have a "lemon" vehicle, as much as you finding a reputable dealer with competent technicians who are capable of diagnosing the problematic symptoms, and replacing / adjusting these components.

Quick Reply: Help with 08 550i