E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello guys! I need a little help here,its inside the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I, K&N CAI, M-tech front bumper, Sprint-booster, Silver Hella taillights (vehicle is under construction)

Hello guys,

I just got back home and I noticed a heavy vibration during idling just as I arrived at home, so I opened the hood, and discovered this (see the picture). Now, my questions are:
1. Where those white things came from?
2. Are those the one that caused the heavy vibration?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hello guys! I need a little help here,its inside the hood-img_00281.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Maybe coolant stains from water pump failure?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

is it powdery substance? possible coolant leak got splash up there. I doubt the vibration has to do with this. Vibration at idling usually is a sign of either tune up needed with change of spark plugs or bad engine mount.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I, K&N CAI, M-tech front bumper, Sprint-booster, Silver Hella taillights (vehicle is under construction)

Thanks for the fast input Honk, I didnt get any engine overheating warning so far. Can I still drive the car to the dealer tomorrow? or should I tow the car?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
is it powdery substance? possible coolant leak got splash up there. I doubt the vibration has to do with this. Vibration at idling usually is a sign of either tune up needed with change of spark plugs or bad engine mount.
I haven't check it yet, but I think its powdery. I need to do a thorough check to get the exact location that substance came from. hmmm... that puzzled me a bit since I just change the spark plugs about 20k miles ago with the iridium spark plugs, and if the engine mount is the problem, why It just suddenly got heavy vibration today?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I agree and think its coolant - water pump/t-stat/hose issue... don't know how far your dealer is but just monitor the situation on the way. I dont think this is related to the vibration issue though.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Considering there's little or no residue on the hose right next to the splatter, I highly doubt that's leaking. As for the vibration? rctmthouse gave you the best possibilities to look for. Good luck, but that white stuff could just be some bird poop that managed to make ti through the radiator while you were driving ( I would NOT suggest a taste test)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Considering there's little or no residue on the hose right next to the splatter, I highly doubt that's leaking. As for the vibration? rctmthouse gave you the best possibilities to look for. Good luck, but that white stuff could just be some bird poop that managed to make ti through the radiator while you were driving ( I would NOT suggest a taste test)
Thanks for the advice pjinca, I just checked the water coolant level and it seems normal. This heavy vibration that confuses me, why it all suddenly happened today. The vibration is so heavy that it feels like the engine is about to stalled at any time, Im afraid to drive the car right now even though from the rctmthouse suggestions nothing seems urgent or dangerous.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by antzz_87
Thanks for the advice pjinca, I just checked the water coolant level and it seems normal. This heavy vibration that confuses me, why it all suddenly happened today. The vibration is so heavy that it feels like the engine is about to stalled at any time, Im afraid to drive the car right now even though from the rctmthouse suggestions nothing seems urgent or dangerous.
When did the vibration happen? only at idle? or while at speed?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by antzz_87
Thanks for the fast input Honk, I didnt get any engine overheating warning so far. Can I still drive the car to the dealer tomorrow? or should I tow the car?
If the vibration has lessened and if your coolant level is good you could try a slow & careful drive to your dealer/mechanic.

Quick Reply: Hello guys! I need a little help here,its inside the hood