E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heighth of window in lci

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys I meant to post this in my other post re: the 528 but forgot and cannot edit so excuse my 3 posts on this page today but I noticed an important feature of the lci

Not sure how to explain it well but basically in the LCI the side window felt like it was lower than preLCI. Meaning the bottom of the window was say at elbow level v. prelci the bottom of the window was at shoulder level (not actual levels but just a means to illustrate the difference.)

In both I had the seats as low as they can go. THe only diff is I have comfort seats and unless those actually sit lower down on the ground than regular the window is indeed lower down on the LCI.

I noticed this because if any of you have pets that like to hang out the window-my 6 pound dog normally stands on my knee and watches out the window as I drive. In my car even with windows down the top of the door frame is high enough where she cannot really fall out since there is plenty of door above her body.

In this LCI when she stood on my knee the level of the door was at her paws and she could easily "lean" out the window if she tipped over.

SOrry for being wordy-just could not explain well.

Also of note I always hang onto my dog via a leash even when she is standing so I am not unsafe for you animal people out there.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='485245' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:28 PM
Sorry guys I meant to post this in my other post re: the 528 but forgot and cannot edit so excuse my 3 posts on this page today but I noticed an important feature of the lci

Not sure how to explain it well but basically in the LCI the side window felt like it was lower than preLCI. Meaning the bottom of the window was say at elbow level v. prelci the bottom of the window was at shoulder level (not actual levels but just a means to illustrate the difference.)

In both I had the seats as low as they can go. THe only diff is I have comfort seats and unless those actually sit lower down on the ground than regular the window is indeed lower down on the LCI.

I noticed this because if any of you have pets that like to hang out the window-my 6 pound dog normally stands on my knee and watches out the window as I drive. In my car even with windows down the top of the door frame is high enough where she cannot really fall out since there is plenty of door above her body.

In this LCI when she stood on my knee the level of the door was at her paws and she could easily "lean" out the window if she tipped over.

SOrry for being wordy-just could not explain well.

Also of note I always hang onto my dog via a leash even when she is standing so I am not unsafe for you animal people out there.

Nice observation...but rarely does an auto manufacturer change the window "belt" line for just a refresh...as a matter of fact, many new models share the same belt line with their previous versions. Could it be the angle of the seat (higher in front) or the seat was just higher up than you seats? Interesting for sure...gosh I wish mine would load on the boat so I can at least know it's coming closer!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='485245' date='Oct 24 2007, 02:28 AM
It's unsafe for you and other drivers.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributors

I know exactly what you mean. When adopting the traditional BMW pose of window open / elbow leaning on door, it definitely feels higher to me too. Unfortunately because I am tall, and because of the HUD, I have to have my seat position lower than I would like. If I raise my seat to where I feel it should be, I lose some of the HUD image so have to sit lower. I know it can be adjusted, but it's not that much of a big deal, I soon got used to the lower position.

Another complaint I have about the LCI ... the door is "sharp" against my leg. I like to jam my leg against the door round corners, but because of the new design, I found myself getting a sore leg because it's more of a "pointy wedge" shape, rather than being smooth. Again, something you have to experience to be able to explain it. Either that, or I need to take some pictures to show what I mean, but that's too much like hard work.

Overall I love the new interior design, but I wouldn't say it's perfect.