E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heel n' toe

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

What I did with my 328 7 years ago to solve this problem, is to install a 1/4" thick aluminum pedal over the existing one. This helped a lot, then, I took the training wheel off 4 years ago. So now, I am matching rev's on downshifts even without thinking. 4th gear to 2nd while entering a turn without upsetting the balance, I just love it.

SMG does a better job matching revs than I can though.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Pedal position clearly can be a problem. My E30 M3's pedals are perfectly placed for heel-toe downshifts but I remember the E39 540s I had were much more difficult due to the problem you describe in the E60.

Pedal spacers, as speedracer suggests, may help fix you up...or an SMG! (couldn't resist!)
Old 11-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Someone please help...I need a quick tutorial on what heel and toe is. I have an idea, but I want to be completely sure. I know I said quick, but I would really like as much detail as possible.

Also, Hormazd, the SMG group just couldn't help themselves, huh?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Try Google. You'll get enough information on the theory...or you can click here for videos on many shifting techniques. One video directly discusses the heel-toe downshift.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Thanks Rudy. I will take a look at this when I get a chance.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 19 2004, 10:16 AM
Someone please help...I need a quick tutorial on what heel and toe is.? I have an idea, but I want to be completely sure.? I know I said quick, but I would really like as much detail as possible.

Also, Hormazd, the SMG group just couldn't help themselves, huh?
[snapback]58092[/snapback]
The basic idea about heel and toe is to match rev with your decreasing speed. On up shifts, the rev will hold a while for you, so the difference in rev is small, thus it will not shock the balance of the car. Now, try downshifting from 4th to 2nd while holding the clutch pedal and you'll see the rev drop instantly to almost idling speed. If you let the clutch go now, too quickly and you'll feel like someone has pulled your emergency brake hard. Too slow, you'll cook the dry-plate and have pre-mature clutch wear. So, what you want to do is to gas the rev to match the road speed you're presently going, for a smooth engagement while stepping of the brake at the same time.

What you want to do is to brake with your toe (1/4 of your foot), literally. Keep your foot slanted so the right-rear side of your right foot can tap the gas pedal. Do a quick tap on the gas to bring the rev up, engage the clutch then gas it again. You'll have to practice to determine how much tapping you'll need to match the rev with the road speed. You can try on a straight line first. Practice safely. If you do it right, you can stop and accelerate out on a curve without loosing unecessary momentum.

Now, coming back to SMG, the computer does that first brip for ya perfectly matching the engine with the road speed, while releasing the clutch. All you have to do is to shift and gas it. Simple as that.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Yeah... what homeboy said
Old 11-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 19 2004, 09:16 AM
Someone please help...I need a quick tutorial on what heel and toe is.? I have an idea, but I want to be completely sure.? I know I said quick, but I would really like as much detail as possible.
[snapback]58092[/snapback]

As much detail as possible?? Here try this.

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/
Old 11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Thanks to all those who provided information. I have never personally owned a manual, but I did keep my friends VW Jetta for 3 weeks while he as visiting his family in Sri Lanka. During that time, I submerged myself in his car (at his suggesting) and I really learned a lot, and I have been pretty successful at driving a manual since. However, I have experienced some of the issues the material from this thread points out, and I think practice would be very fun in the 5. There aren't a lot of hills here or in Indy, but I would still like to be as proficient as possible at this craft. I think it will take some time, but I am willing to go for. Manuals add enjoyment and challenge to driving that on a day to day basis can get pretty boring at times. If I weren't getting the 525, then I might have tried SMG, but before I spoil myself with SMG, I think I will go with the manual. Plus, after I let my wife read this material and show her that she can mess up my car if she doesn't shift right, she won't want to drive it...I hope!

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

This what is mentioned above is totally true in "normal operation" tarmac, concrete and asphalt where you can not slide at all to get good times.

Slippery surface you can also use heel&toe but then meaning is to "tie down" the car better to the surface. So when you press brake and acc. pedals same time it tends to lower car's front suspension giving more grip. This is specially for the front wheel drive cars. At slippery surface car slide through the curve and that means that You have to have wheels spinning whole time. If they stop even for a second you will have extra show at your hands.

Pikes Peak is one this kind of event in US. In Europa "everyone" know WRC.

Skaffa