E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HEEEELP! Stick or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

Have on order through ED 545 (non sport), would appreciate some input whether to go with manual or automatic. Ordered auto but have doubts. Only a few more days to change the order.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

I posted this on the bimmerfest baord.

GET THE SMG!!! You will love it!! It has all the benefits of the steptronic, but you don't lose power due to the slush box

cheers,

beewang
Old 01-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

Would love to if I could get it with a NON Sport package. Don't want the sport package in Michigan and living on a dirt road, bumpy ride and excessive tire wear.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

I'm a stick guy. I got the stick and LOVE it.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

i feel auto seems to drive a bit more snappy, more 'punch'; but i am a stick guy and will not consider anything else.
which ever your choice you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I got the auto instead of manual and have regretted it every since. If you like sporty driving and have owned mauals in the past, don't deny yourself. After all, its a sports car first and a sedan second.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

The choice of transmission is so very personal. There is no right or wrong choice.

Given the choice of manual and automatic, it is manual for me. I chose the E60 because it was one of three V8 sedans avaialble to me me with a manual tranny. I love driving the car and have no regrets with my decision. The replacement of my CDV has improved the experience even more. Perfectly timed and rev matched upshifts are a joy when executed with this so lively and easy reving V8.

I will keep getting manual tranmisions as long as BMW make them in the car of my choice. I may as well enjoy them while I can.

You seem to have dismissed the SMG as an option. Many long time manual drivers have gone the SMG route and swear by it. I understand it takes some practice to get used to. If the use of a clutch is something that you want to live without, you might want to consider SMG. For me I don't even notice it even in heavy traffic. That said the recent threads about SMG shifting in winter, software upgrades etc makes me wonder if it is really ready for prime time yet.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

hormazd, i too am a die hard fan of stick shift, i got a bmw in the first place is because of the availability of manuel transmission.
i have a question. why do they need to replace the CDV (clutch delay value) in your car?
is it because of premature slipping or you prefer a harder clutch?
cheers! rollee
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jan 25 2005, 10:08 AM
hormazd, i too am a die hard fan of stick shift, i got a bmw in the first place is because of the availability of manuel transmission.
i have a question. why do they need to replace the CDV (clutch delay value) in your car?
is it because of premature slipping or you prefer a harder clutch?
cheers! rollee
[snapback]82767[/snapback]
If you are happy with the shifting behavior then leave well alone be. However the Clutch Delay Valve causes the clutch to engage in a shorter space, making it harder to shift smoothly. By replacing it with one that has been bored out (or by removing it) the clutch engages proportionally to pedal travel. With the stock CDV there is no action as you raise the clutch the first few inches, then suddenly within 2 inches of pedal travel it has completely engaged.

This modification does not make the clutch harder or softer.

Look here for more information on this.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

If you are buying your car, and think that you'll sell it later yourself, then get auto. It's a lot easier to sell than stick. I am trying to sell me 328 for over a month now, and I noticed that there are more people looking for auto than stick. More so on 5'er.

Quick Reply: HEEEELP! Stick or Auto