E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HEEEELP! Stick or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by mlahti' date='Jan 24 2005, 08:06 PM
Would love to if I could get it with a NON Sport package. Don't want the sport package in Michigan and living on a dirt road, bumpy ride and excessive tire wear.
[snapback]82641[/snapback]
Hey are you studying at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor? My brother just graduated a year ago. As for your question, it is just your preference. I've heard that the stick runs faster than the steptronic.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Stick.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

I have Steptronic. Though it is a great auto in sport mode.

If I could do it all over again, I would get the SMG.

Best of Luck!!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

tried to get a test drive to test out the stick, unfortunately no dealer within a 400 mile radius has one.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Jan 25 2005, 04:42 PM
[quote name='mlahti' date='Jan 24 2005, 08:06 PM']Would love to if I could get it with a NON Sport package. Don't want the sport package in Michigan and living on a dirt road, bumpy ride and excessive tire wear.
[snapback]82641[/snapback]
Hey are you studying at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor? My brother just graduated a year ago. As for your question, it is just your preference. I've heard that the stick runs faster than the steptronic.
[snapback]82865[/snapback]
[/quote]

Go Blue (alum!)
Stick all the way - it's just more fun. Unless you have a massive ammount of rush hour stop-and-go to deal with....
Old 01-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Auto.

If you want a sports car, buy an e60 and a ZO6.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mlahti' date='Jan 24 2005, 05:43 PM
Have on order through ED 545 (non sport), would appreciate some input whether to go with manual or automatic. Ordered auto but have doubts. Only a few more days to change the order.

Thanks for any help.
[snapback]82629[/snapback]
The decision is VERY personal as others have pointed out. If you're a stick guy and would miss it, go in that direction. I agonized over this same decision before I ordered my car too, but ultimately landed on the STEP.

I was actually thinking of starting a post about the STEP anyway, because I am VERY impressed with it. It has three modes, of course. 1: Regular AUTO with lower-RPM shift points (which you use most during the break-in period). 2: Sport mode with higher-RPM shift points, and 3: manual mode. Regardless of the mode you are using, the STEP is VERY smooth - "silky" is a word that comes to mind.

I drove mostly in regular AUTO mode during break-in, but now that I'm through with that I use mostly the Sport mode during sufrace-stree driving. The shift points in Sport mode are oriented for generally sporty driving which generally matches my style. On the freeway I will then normally shift to regular auto mode when I'm "at speed".

But I am really impressed with the manual mode. I had never driven a Steptronic-style transmission before, and they've done a great job "simulating" the shifting experience of a manual transmission (albeit without a clutch of course). What I find myself doing with more frequency is using all three modes! Regular auto when "at speed", Sport mode for most "surface-street" driving, but I sprinkle in the Manual mode when I feel like it. I often use the manual mode to downshift when stopping as you do with a stick. When accelerating from a stop I use a combination of either the Sport mode or sometimes the manual mode depending on the situation.

The bottom line is that the STEP is an excellent transmission. VERY smooth regardless of the mode you use it in. And it offers you various modes depending on how you feel at the time. From somebody who was on the fence, I'm very happy with my choice of the STEP and don't regret going that way.