E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heavy Steering - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I hit a massive pot hole last week which bent a rim and ruined a tire. I got a new wheel and new tire and got an alignment. The steering still feels heavy compared to before. The dealer thought it felt fine. I understand that because it doesn't feel awful and is probably about normal for most cars. However, my steering was pretty light before and I really liked it. I didn't notice the heavier steering when I had the donut on for a couple days. Just noticed when I had the new tire put on. The thing is I don't recall the steering feeling like it does when I had the other tires put on several months ago. The new tire is a match with the others.

Will it get better once I have some wear on the new tire? Or any other suggestions?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

mine used to be heavy but since i put mine on the dealer for them to Sche Main, its now pretty light and smooth. I did replace something, here is some on the Invoice list
- Performed Standard Scope
- Brake fluid
- C Intake Silencer
and some other minor fix on it which isnt relating to the steering wheel.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Members

hmmm...I don't think any of that seems to be related though I don't know what all is included in "Standard Scope".

Update: Took it to be seen by the shop foreman today. Went on a short drive with him. He noticed that it was a bit off (a little more resistance than there should be) and that the steering wheel pulled back to the center a little harder than normal (especially with harder turns). He put it on the lift and gave everything a thorough check, but didn't find anything. Said he really didn't think I needed a new steering rack since that is something that may be damaged from a collision, but a pothole couldn't do enough damage for that. Said they could do a fluid flush, but he was pretty positive that wouldn't solve anything.

One interesting note was about the wheel that Discount Tire gave me. They said they pull wheels from wrecked cars and this wheel came from one of those warehouses, but actually was brand new. I noticed that it didn't have the same ///M emblem that my others do. The dealer said that it is indeed an aftermarket wheel but the specs are the exact same as the others so he didn't think that could be causing anything.

So now I'm pretty much at a loss. The heavy steering isn't awful, but it is definitely didn't used to feel like this. I loved how light and nimble the car use to feel. I really don't like driving the car as much as I used to with the way the car feels now. So I am very interested in any ideas that anyone may have.

thanks